Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 08:53 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Looks like narrow sidewalks right up against 2-3 lanes of traffic... And I'm not sure how much use the bike lanes will get. Will they just fill up with debris and become part of the recovery zone (like a shoulder) for cars? IMO on suburban arterials it's better to put the bike lanes next to the sidewalks above the curb, or have multi-use trails.

And then the trees... will they really put them there and will it work? It seems usually trees are placed further from the road for "safety". Placing them close like this could help with traffic calming/buffering. However, are they going to be able to grow in 15cm of space between the asphalt and concrete?
Don't the above rendering too seriously. I think it is couple years old and I'm almost certain that they are still doing changes on the finer details of the design.

I agree with you that they should put all bikes lanes above the curb, along side with pedestrian sidewalks. Much more safe and peace of mind for both cyclists and drivers alike. A lot of European cities manage to have consistent bike lanes throughout the city, even on suburban and residential streets and they are all above the curb.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 06:45 AM

287 posts, read 306,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
As a middle class WASP male, I belong to the demographic that benefits the very least from the taxes I pay. So I propose we apply this logic to everything for a minute:

I shouldn't have to pay for education as I don't have kids.
I shouldn't have to pay for welfare since I have a steady job.
I shouldn't have to fund the arts since I don't care about paintings or classical music.
I shouldn't have to pay for drug rehab as I am not a lowlife addict.
I shouldn't have to pay for legal aid as I can afford my own lawyer.
I shouldn't pay for AIDS research as I am not stupid enough to contract the disease.

Seriously... Where does this mentality end? Do you REALLY want to live in a Canada that would start to resemble some banana republic in short order???
Why don't you tell this to all those unions that have been taking turns going on strike? Individuals who don't have the means to do anything to defend their own hard earned money and all they can do is complaining about it, while those strikes are seeking more money/benefits at the expense of residents/students and other non Union folks, why can they just be happy with not so much pay increase while enjoying all the perks other people don't have?

Old 05-05-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moveagain View Post
Why don't you tell this to all those unions that have been taking turns going on strike? Individuals who don't have the means to do anything to defend their own hard earned money and all they can do is complaining about it, while those strikes are seeking more money/benefits at the expense of residents/students and other non Union folks, why can they just be happy with not so much pay increase while enjoying all the perks other people don't have?
With all due respect, don't you live in Manitoba? The issues stated on this thread are purely centered upon Ontario and GTA, not Winnipeg.

Also, how do unions have anything to do with the latest transit initiatives? I agree with you that civil servant benefits and compensation should be closely monitored and cut in order to save tax payer dollars, but that's a separate issue that should not hold back the public's need for new infrastructure investment.

Lastly, I don't think Annuvin in anyway said that he supports unjustified demands and salary increases by unions. Not sure why you have to bring partisan politics into a fundamentally non-partisan issue: proper transit planning.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
With all due respect, don't you live in Manitoba? The issues stated on this thread are purely centered upon Ontario and GTA, not Winnipeg.

Also, how do unions have anything to do with the latest transit initiatives? I agree with you that civil servant benefits and compensation should be closely monitored and cut in order to save tax payer dollars, but that's a separate issue that should not hold back the public's need for new infrastructure investment.

Lastly, I don't think Annuvin in anyway said that he supports unjustified demands and salary increases by unions. Not sure why you have to bring partisan politics into a fundamentally non-partisan issue: proper transit planning.
Manitoba? if that's a community in DT toronto then yeah that's probably where I live. And I am all for improving transit system but I am just not too excited to expect my tax will go up again - even though they promised it won't come from tax

Old 05-06-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Manitoba? if that's a community in DT toronto then yeah that's probably where I live. And I am all for improving transit system but I am just not too excited to expect my tax will go up again - even though they promised it won't come from tax
Sorry mixed you up with another user. I remember now, you said you don't care about transit and such because you are on temporary visa and can't vote, and would go back to Michigan in a heart beat. I guess if you take that stance then yes, any taxes paid in Canada would be a waste as you have no plans of permanently settling here.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Sorry mixed you up with another user. I remember now, you said you don't care about transit and such because you are on temporary visa and can't vote, and would go back to Michigan in a heart beat. I guess if you take that stance then yes, any taxes paid in Canada would be a waste as you have no plans of permanently settling here.
I wouldn't mind as much if I actually see the tax money put in good use, but all I see is government waste and disappearance of money with no explanation, or tax money going into Union member pay increase. An interesting comparison is, I was in Beijing in the late 90s, where the subway system was almost identical to what toronto had at the time, with one straight east-west line and a circled north- south line, but since the 2000s its subway system has expanded greatly, and become a giant network, while the system in toronto is still almost the same - now we all know how bad the corruption is there, but they still managed to get the subway built. The corruption here isn't any better and we don't see much done

Old 05-06-2015, 06:54 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
As a middle class WASP male, I belong to the demographic that benefits the very least from the taxes I pay. So I propose we apply this logic to everything for a minute:

I shouldn't have to pay for education as I don't have kids.
I shouldn't have to pay for welfare since I have a steady job.
I shouldn't have to fund the arts since I don't care about paintings or classical music.
I shouldn't have to pay for drug rehab as I am not a lowlife addict.
I shouldn't have to pay for legal aid as I can afford my own lawyer.
I shouldn't pay for AIDS research as I am not stupid enough to contract the disease.

Seriously... Where does this mentality end? Do you REALLY want to live in a Canada that would start to resemble some banana republic in short order???
You keep listing off all of these things as if you are not part of the wider community.. Believe it - even as a middle class WASP male you absolutely could require welfare sometime in your life and that 'steady' job may not be so steady, you could develop an evolving love for the arts and support their funding, you could become an addict due to being something called a human, or indeed develop HIV as a result... aaaand you were a child who benefited from recieving an education that presumable assisted you greatly in achieving your middle class lifestyle..... I love to what length individuals will go to disconnect themselves from star dust...

Last edited by fusion2; 05-06-2015 at 07:14 PM..

Old 05-06-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't mind as much if I actually see the tax money put in good use, but all I see is government waste and disappearance of money with no explanation, or tax money going into Union member pay increase. An interesting comparison is, I was in Beijing in the late 90s, where the subway system was almost identical to what toronto had at the time, with one straight east-west line and a circled north- south line, but since the 2000s its subway system has expanded greatly, and become a giant network, while the system in toronto is still almost the same - now we all know how bad the corruption is there, but they still managed to get the subway built. The corruption here isn't any better and we don't see much done
Do you have ANY data to back up your corruption claims? Do you know how much money Beijing actually spent on its subway system, the tax rate in China, and the scale of corruption in Beijing? Beijing spent a total of $41 billion USD on the 2008 Olympics, and that was just solely for Olympic stadium construction alone. No financial audit, no competitive procurement process, no environmental assessment. If you want $41 billion USD of your hard earned tax dollars to be spent like that, by all means, I'm pretty sure any government agency would be more than happy to do away with all the audits, controls, parliamentary hearings, and public oversight. I was born in China so don't lecture me on the what corruption is like. It's completely ridiculous to compare that with the political process in western societies.

Aside from complaints about the government and taxes, is there any constructive suggestion or positive contribution that you'd like to make to our society in Canada? Yes you have a job and pay taxes, but so do I and millions of other Canadians. You previously stated on page 2 that you clearly have no background knowledge on the two infrastructure projects listed in this thread, yet you keep blasting government waste, government corruption like you've been studying the topic for ages, but have yet to produce any solid data or citation or any constructive suggestions on how the situation can be improved. If this is how you'd like to lead your life in Canada as a temporary immigrant, then please by all means return to Ann Harbor where the grass is always greener. No one has invited you, nor is the Department of Citizenship and Immigration Canada begging you to stay in Toronto - you are free to come and go as you please.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:49 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,713,065 times
Quote:
There are 20+ million people in the Beijing area. And about 6 million in the GTA.
Also Beijing hosted a Summer Olympics, so that played apart in thier rapid expansion as well.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:55 AM

14 posts, read 17,213 times
Default agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Isn't it supposed to be funded by selling 60% of Hydro One and part of the real estate the Province currently owns (such as the OPG head office, LCBO lands etc.)?

Wynne previously ruled out hiking income tax or HST (well, so did McGuinty, and we all know how that turned out).

I still propose laying off government employees, possibly including myself .
privatize 407 is huge mistake. well, lay off the 2/3 of the manager from the government is great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto