Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 11:23 AM

14 posts, read 20,191 times

Advertisements

I live in the country and would love to move to downtown Toronto. I will be uprooting my husband and three children. Life is so good here in the country and my home and and setting are outstanding, however, I am board out of my mind. I am willing to give up this peace and serenity for a more vibrant and alive way of living. I am wondering if anyone out there has ever been faced with this crossroads in their lives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 12:06 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times
Billions of people live in the urban environment. You will be just fine.

I don't know how can life be good when you are bored out of your mind. I stayed in Barrie for 3 weeks and God, that was harsh. I was so bored that I wanted to stick my fingers into my eye sockets. And that was not exactly the country.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:13 PM

Hi Botticelli. I know, I sound so contradictory, but what I mean is that I have it all here, and I am one with nature, yet it is not enough to satisfy me. I crave the vibrancy of the city. I am so alone out here and although I have so much labourous work to do on the property to occupy my time, I am sick of the same old, same old.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:24 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
You seem to have it all right now and you want to uproot the whole family because you are bored?
What exactly is it about Toronto that gives you the idea that you wont be bored in Toronto as well?

Old 05-26-2015, 03:38 PM

I am car dependant. I would love to walk to everything and to meet new people and socialize. I am in the middle of nowhere right now and I go days without talking to people other than my family. The silence is deafening. Living downtown seems to me like living on a playground. There are always events at harborfront for the kids, a date night with my husband would be to open my door and walk out to Yonge Street and the prospect that my children can go to University without being in a train or car ride for 1.5 hours appeals to me as well. But your right, uprooting my family to make me happy does sound selfish.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:26 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
What does the rest of the family think about moving to downtown Toronto?

Old 05-26-2015, 07:50 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelotgirl View Post
I live in the country and would love to move to downtown Toronto. I will be uprooting my husband and three children. Life is so good here in the country and my home and and setting are outstanding, however, I am board out of my mind. I am willing to give up this peace and serenity for a more vibrant and alive way of living. I am wondering if anyone out there has ever been faced with this crossroads in their lives
What happened to Metro Detroit? I thought you wanted to move there

Old 05-27-2015, 06:24 AM

Hubby changed jobs. I was up for that change too.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:26 AM

Everyone else in the family is apprehensive but the idea of downsizing apeals to my husband. It takes a small army to run our property and we do all the work ourselves. I have always said it is a labour of love until recently. It is all too much and we sacrifice so much of our time for it

Old 05-27-2015, 07:33 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelotgirl View Post
Hi Botticelli. I know, I sound so contradictory, but what I mean is that I have it all here, and I am one with nature, yet it is not enough to satisfy me. I crave the vibrancy of the city. I am so alone out here and although I have so much labourous work to do on the property to occupy my time, I am sick of the same old, same old.
I completely understand what you mean.

A comfortable suburban life works for some people, but it is excruciatingly boring and soul sucking for others. Some people love the energy of cities, and to have people around them, while others are satisfied with a large suburban mansion among trees. I often said to others that if I were rich, I would still live in a penthouse in a big city, rather than a 4000sf mansion in some quaint and upscale suburbs such as Oakville.

You obviously know who you are and you shall definitely make yourself happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto