U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 09:30 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,608,875 times

Advertisements

Toronoto for sure! I need real summer heat and a real winter with snow. Plus I love the giant thunderstorms of Southern Ontario.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 12:39 PM

12,893 posts, read 12,328,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Show em how its done

Old 05-25-2015, 03:09 PM

14,961 posts, read 10,515,434 times
I prefer Vancouver's. Big surprise LOL.

If I want snow, it's just 20 minutes away on the mountains.

I like spring weather in February. By the time summer is over, I long for rainy days. As strange as that sounds, I'm not alone.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:14 AM

24,336 posts, read 30,580,891 times
I think if you have to pick between the Toronto and Vancouver climates, it boils down to a 5-8 degree difference in either winter (plus for Vancouver) or summer (plus for Toronto).

I don't have anything against Vancouver, but my impression is you have to really, really hate any temperature that's below 0C and that has to be your prime driving factor in order to pick Vancouver. Well, maybe that and not liking hot and humid summer days too.

To me, if that's the tradeoff I wouldn't take a cool, cloudy rainy winter season generally below 10C over sunny warm-to-hot summers where most every day basically feels like 30C or more.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:51 AM

3,635 posts, read 4,392,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Have you lived in the Pacific Northwest at all? I've lived here nearly a decade and a half (in Oregon, not BC, but it's the same climate almost) and while I tolerate it better than most people, I don't think people really understand how dismal it can be. It's not super cold, but it's just as lacking of warm weather as Ontario and Minnesota, not to mention much gloomier. By warm meaning 16C or warmer.
I havent, so take my opinion for what its worth. Of course if I had some time living in the PNW, I may grow to hate the weather over time.

The thing is I hate the winter with a passion. I have never adjusted well to the cold weather. Of course the style of city I enjoy living in seems to be in a cold climate, so I deal with it.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:18 PM

161 posts, read 582,026 times
yes, although I hate the Toronto winters, I prefer the weather in Toronto than Vancouver. I don't like rain, and I don't like mild summers.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:01 PM

12,893 posts, read 12,328,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afici0nad0 View Post
yes, although I hate the Toronto winters, I prefer the weather in Toronto than Vancouver. I don't like rain, and I don't like mild summers.
LOL - a certain someone in the Toronto forums considers Toronto's summers 'mildly warm' - said poster would have to find YVR downright frigid in the summer.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:34 AM

3,751 posts, read 4,119,693 times
Yeah it seems like preferring Vancouver over Toronto for weather comes down to "I hate snowy cold winters so much that I'm willing to deal with a 10 month long rainy winter instead"

Toronto summers are actually not that much warmer than Vancouver summers. Vancouver can be quite warm and sticky in July/August and Toronto can be quite cool and overcast.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:39 AM

24,336 posts, read 30,580,891 times
Quote:
Yeah it seems like preferring Vancouver over Toronto for weather comes down to "I hate snowy cold winters so much that I'm willing to deal with a 10 month long rainy winter instead"

Toronto summers are actually not that much warmer than Vancouver summers. Vancouver can be quite warm and sticky in July/August and Toronto can be quite cool and overcast.
There is approximately a five degree difference between the two cities in average summer maximums. This means that a cool summer day in Vancouver might be around 18C whereas in Toronto it might be 23C.

To me that's a fairly significant difference in the overall quality of the summer weather.

Certainly as big a difference as the one between average winter days at -3C vs. winter days at +6C.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:48 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,608,875 times
Quote:

Toronto summers are much warmer than Vancouvers summers, especially with the humidity coming from the Gulf of Mexico. Much different than humidity from the cool Pacific Ocean!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto