U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 03:42 PM

907 posts, read 923,530 times

Advertisements

I also love how when it rains in Toronto it rains hard. Like it gets super heavy spurts of rain for a few hours and a thunderstorm afterwards that is amazing to watch. I prefer this over the constant drizzle Vancouver seems to get. Vancouver summers aren't warm enough for me. I love summers where it's humid and you can go to the beach and still be in shorts in the evening hours. I love Toronto's 4 seasons and I love the snow in the winter. Toronto has an awesome climate in my opinion and I really enjoy it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 04:11 PM

12,893 posts, read 12,395,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I also love how when it rains in Toronto it rains hard. Like it gets super heavy spurts of rain for a few hours and a thunderstorm afterwards that is amazing to watch. I prefer this over the constant drizzle Vancouver seems to get. Vancouver summers aren't warm enough for me. I love summers where it's humid and you can go to the beach and still be in shorts in the evening hours. I love Toronto's 4 seasons and I love the snow in the winter. Toronto has an awesome climate in my opinion and I really enjoy it.
I'm going to start to get a bit Botticelli here but I must say you haven't seen rain hard until you've been to Southeast Asia lol

Old 06-08-2015, 04:17 PM

10,847 posts, read 12,423,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'm going to start to get a bit Botticelli here but I must say you haven't seen rain hard until you've been to Southeast Asia lol
I have an umbrella in my apartment and used it probably three times during the past seven years while I live here.
Toronto hardly ever gets a downpour where you actually need one. It simply almost never rains heavily in Toronto.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I have an umbrella in my apartment and used it probably three times during the past seven years while I live here.
Toronto hardly ever gets a downpour where you actually need one. It simply almost never rains heavily in Toronto.
Compared to Vancouver and other places in Canada it does though.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I am. Toronto is the tropics compared to where I grew up in Winnipeg. Toronto's winters aren't bad, good amount of snow, good amount of days below freezing and occasionally above freezing and a couple days with extreme low temperatures. That's great winter weather to me, especially compared to everyday being below -20 with windchill.

5 large cities that are colder than Toronto? Okay, I was saying Toronto's winters are nice to me. I wasn't comparing it to other cities. But I'll give you more than 5 just in case you don't consider some of them as large: Moscow, Harbin, Oslo, Montreal, Calgary, Urumqi, and Saint Petersbuorg. I'm sure there are a couple more. But again, I'm not comparing Toronto to other cities, you are doing that. I'm simply saying Toronto doesn't have a very bad winter.
Oslo is not colder than Toronto. Almost the same in Jan and Feb.
I gathered one would need Russian and northern Chinese cities for help, haha! There simple are very few cities that are colder than Toronto.

Again, 9 out of 10 in coldness. If one still says it is not cold just because he's from Winnipeg, then I run out of words to say what symptom it is.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Oslo is not colder than Toronto. Almost the same in Jan and Feb.
I gathered one would need Russian and northern Chinese cities for help, haha! There simple are very few cities that are colder than Toronto.

Again, 9 out of 10 in coldness. If one still says it is not cold just because he's from Winnipeg, then I run out of words to say what symptom it is.
From mid Dec, Jan/Feb to probably mid March yes but not necessarily the other 9 months of the year... You need to look at the whole and not just pigeon hole the months that will help you with an argument. If you look at the other 9 months the list of colder/cooler cities would increase.

Quote:
I'd say 3 times is a bit on the short side here but I'll digress to one's personal experience.. I don't generally find that Toronto has really heavy downpours but it is known to happen just not to a great or regular extent as some other places particularly those closer to the equator.. two years ago that July 8th was really a pretty bad one with all the flooding... Hubby and I were caught in one last Saturday going shopping and it was pretty bad as well - cars were stopped on the side of the road though it was good cuz I didn't need to get that car wash...

Old 06-08-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Compared to Vancouver and other places in Canada it does though.
Not many people have only lived in Canada though. So what Toronto is like compared with the rest of Canada is pretty much meaningless. What "other places"? You mean where the remaining 25 million people, equivalent to one large city, live ?

Old 06-08-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
From mid Dec, Jan/Feb to probably mid March yes but not necessarily the other 9 months of the year... You need to look at the whole and not just pigeon hole the months that will help you with you argument. If you look at the other 9 months the list of colder/cooler cities would increase.

I'd say 3 times is a bit on the short side here but I'll digress to one's personal experience.. I don't generally find that Toronto has really heavy downpours but it is known to happen just not to a great or regular extent.. two years ago that July really was a pretty bad one... Hubby and I were caught in one last Saturday going shopping and it was pretty bad though good cuz I didn't need to get that car wash...
But we were talking about winter. Summer is not "colder" elsewhere, just cooler.

I encountered two heavy downpour so far in Toronto to be honest. It is a fact Toronto doesn't get a lot if heavy rain, which is proved by its weak city sewage system. One real downpour and Union station was flooded and the entire subway was closed. And that was 2 inches as far as I remember. That kind of rain happens about six times in shanghai pretty much every year, where you actually need an umbrella regularly. If the subway has to be interrupted for that, People would probably give up taking subways at all elsewhere.

Only last week I was talking about the uselessness of umbrellas with my friends and they all agreed they seldom had the use for it.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
But we were talking about winter. Summer is not "colder" elsewhere, just cooler.

I encountered two heavy downpour so far in Toronto to be honest. It is a fact Toronto doesn't get a lot if heavy rain, which is proved by its weak city sewage system. One real downpour and Union station was flooded and the entire subway was closed. And that was 2 inches as far as I remember. That kind of rain happens about six times in shanghai pretty much every year, where you actually need an umbrella regularly. If the subway has to be interrupted for that, People would probably give up taking subways at all elsewhere.

Only last week I was talking about the uselessness of umbrellas with my friends and they all agreed they seldom had the use for it.
No we aren't just talking about winter (it doesn't rain in the winter generally unless you are talking about freezing rain transitioning to snow) so the discussion is more than just 3 months of the year.. I'm just saying that while over the course of the winter months I agree with you, Toronto is up there on the freezing scale (which is still not that cold - you complain too much about it and its more of an issue for you than 95 percent of the population of Toronto did someone not tell you 7.5 years ago that Canada had cold winters lol - heck look a Nunavut in the winter Toronto is absolutely Balmy in comparison) - outside of winter though, the list of places that are cooler/colder than Toronto increases. Cooler/Colder means they aren't as warm/hot as Toronto is 9 months of the rest of the year and 9 months is greater than 3 months..

As for rain and sewage systems I don't really care! I'm just saying that I'm sure most people would say they would utilize umbrellas more than two or three times in 7 years in Toronto... I'm not saying Toronto gets the most torrential downpours in universe in the world or in even in China.. You (your friends I guess too) are probably outliers in the city only using an umbrella two times.. You're certainly an outlier to be wearing your night comforter or whatever in the summer in Toronto but whatevs Botti we're all different I suppose

With all that said, cold winters, not too hot summers, no hurricanes or tropical storms, Volcanoes, major floods or major earthquakes to speak of and air that you can largely breath vs places where you can see the air you breath hey - Toronto ain't a bad place to live on the whole so why be such a peacock about it being too cold in Jan/Feb or that the city shuts down because of a severe rainstorm.. It does do better with snowstorms - ask someone from Atlanta about how it deals with 1 or 2 inches of snow..

Last edited by fusion2; 06-08-2015 at 07:51 PM..

Old 06-08-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
If we're talking about Canada, which I am because I only lived in Canada, then Toronto winters aren't bad in my opinion. I prefer the colder winters with snow than places that are warmer and have no snow and just rain. I want a real winter, just like I want a real summer and Toronto offers both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto