Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 10:06 PM

909 posts, read 1,152,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Oslo is not colder than Toronto. Almost the same in Jan and Feb.
I gathered one would need Russian and northern Chinese cities for help, haha! There simple are very few cities that are colder than Toronto.

Again, 9 out of 10 in coldness. If one still says it is not cold just because he's from Winnipeg, then I run out of words to say what symptom it is.
Actually Oslo is technically colder than Toronto in the winter because December is 2 degrees warmer in Toronto but January and February is the same. But the fact December is warmer makes Toronto a tad warmer than Oslo even in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 11:19 PM

164 posts, read 375,410 times
Default irrelevant

No I did not confuse Atlanta with Toronto.

Atlanta, has a freak snow event every 10 years; it would be foolish to spend the capex on snow removal equipment for this, so the city will come to a crawl when this happens. But the Atlanta weather beats Toronto hands down. I would rather have that freak snow storm every decade then a painfully long cold winter.

Every snow belt city can clear it fairly well. For example, Toronto and Buffalo are both set up to clear snow fairly well. The problem is that GTA roads are already congested before you add a snow storm to it. As soon as it starts snowing expected your 1+ hour typical commute to/from work to be double.

I have seen so many recent immigrants in the GTA driving around in junkers with bald tires. They block traffic when it snows and they start sliding and cannot even get up a small incline. The GTA simply has the worst winter weather drivers I have ever seen. Every time there is a snow storm there are tons of accidents.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:36 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pignchick View Post
No I did not confuse Atlanta with Toronto.

Atlanta, has a freak snow event every 10 years; it would be foolish to spend the capex on snow removal equipment for this, so the city will come to a crawl when this happens. But the Atlanta weather beats Toronto hands down. I would rather have that freak snow storm every decade then a painfully long cold winter.

Every snow belt city can clear it fairly well. For example, Toronto and Buffalo are both set up to clear snow fairly well. The problem is that GTA roads are already congested before you add a snow storm to it. As soon as it starts snowing expected your 1+ hour typical commute to/from work to be double.

I have seen so many recent immigrants in the GTA driving around in junkers with bald tires. They block traffic when it snows and they start sliding and cannot even get up a small incline. The GTA simply has the worst winter weather drivers I have ever seen. Every time there is a snow storm there are tons of accidents.
Did you consider Toronto is probably the second or third most dense metro in Canamerica.... Maybe something to consider in a comparison vs smaller or more spread out larger metro's...

By all means google search largest urban area's in the world and look at how Toronto's urban area stacks up in the density department vs other Canadian/American cities... As for immigrants and junkers with bald tires - I don't really see that too often.. Most people have new/newish cars in the city actually - including immigrants. Whatever an 'immigrant' looks like btw - I can't tell by simply looking at a person in the car........

Old 06-21-2015, 11:27 PM

92 posts, read 176,493 times
Born and raised in Toronto, spent 2 years in Vancouver, 1 year in Calgary, and now stuck back in gawd awful Toronto for the last several years, anxious to get out of Canada completely. I feel well qualified to discuss this topic:

Toronto USED to be very nice. Like, 20-30 years ago. Recently, though, it has been terrible. When I was a baby/child/teen, spring came in April and crisp, cool, dry fall lasted well into November, but snow held off until December. The last few winters have ended sometime in May, and falls have been so wet that they almost don't even count anymore. Summers have been wetter and cloudier than they used to be, too.

Vancouver spring comes MUCH earlier, summer is gorgeous, and fall is comparably wet to Toronto, probably more consistently (the wet is fairly recent for Toronto but it's probably been the case for Vancouver for a longer time). In my opinion, Toronto summer doesn't hold a candle to Vancouver summer, and neither is Spring in the same league.

Vancouver has dreary winter, but the spring and summer is spectacular. Toronto has less than 60 truly nice days, in general, scattered throughout the year. I am particularly bothered by overcast, though, so someone less demanding of sun may disagree and consider any non-rainy day "nice".

For weather, I'd live in the interior of BC or go back to Calgary hands down.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:40 AM

23 posts, read 25,710 times
Of-course Toronto!!
Because I like summers

Old 06-22-2015, 07:21 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenHorses View Post
Toronto has less than 60 truly nice days, in general, scattered throughout the year. I am particularly bothered by overcast, though, so someone less demanding of sun may disagree and consider any non-rainy day "nice".
I think Toronto has very good spring (but it is really too short, just love late April-May!), summer (except the 30C+ days) and autumn (the best time, except the shrinking day hours), only the long winter from mid Dec to mid April sucks.

Contrary to you, too much sunshine in the summer is a negative factor for me. It is so bright (like yesterday) and sometimes the sun so directly burning that it actually becomes a burden (part the reason I don't really envy the Southern California weather like most people do, maybe except the 4 winter months. The sun is simply too glaring most of the time). I am constantly under the pressure to wear sunglasses, hats and sunscreen, which becomes a minor annoyance to be honest. At least during the peak of the summer, overcast days are my favourite. We just don't have enough of it. 60 good days? I don't agree. More like 160 days. But of course people have different preference.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:08 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,172,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenHorses View Post
Born and raised in Toronto, spent 2 years in Vancouver, 1 year in Calgary, and now stuck back in gawd awful Toronto for the last several years, anxious to get out of Canada completely. I feel well qualified to discuss this topic:

Toronto USED to be very nice. Like, 20-30 years ago. Recently, though, it has been terrible. When I was a baby/child/teen, spring came in April and crisp, cool, dry fall lasted well into November, but snow held off until December. The last few winters have ended sometime in May, and falls have been so wet that they almost don't even count anymore. Summers have been wetter and cloudier than they used to be, too.

Vancouver spring comes MUCH earlier, summer is gorgeous, and fall is comparably wet to Toronto, probably more consistently (the wet is fairly recent for Toronto but it's probably been the case for Vancouver for a longer time). In my opinion, Toronto summer doesn't hold a candle to Vancouver summer, and neither is Spring in the same league.

Vancouver has dreary winter, but the spring and summer is spectacular. Toronto has less than 60 truly nice days, in general, scattered throughout the year. I am particularly bothered by overcast, though, so someone less demanding of sun may disagree and consider any non-rainy day "nice".

For weather, I'd live in the interior of BC or go back to Calgary hands down.
Lol. Hands down.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:09 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
I would much prefer Toronto to Vancouver just like I prefer Minneapolis to Seattle. I like actual 4 seasons. I love the changing of the leaves and wearing a variety of clothes. Snow does not scare me. Hell, neither do tornadoes. Experienced a tornado this year, I found it exciting! I found the hail exciting too. I love mother nature the wonders she can create. What I don't like is monotonous weather. It's nice for some people, but it wears me out, especially if it's always hot.

I love rain but I like it to be mixed with plenty of sunny and partly cloudy days too, and like I said, I love snow in winter. Toronto is also more deciduous than Vancouver so more autumn colour too. Fall's my favourite season, and I'm glad Texas at least has a taste of it, even if it comes later than up north. Also, regarding rain, I'd rather have heavy thunderstorms than constant drizzle. Save the drizzle for those late autumn days.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:57 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I would much prefer Toronto to Vancouver just like I prefer Minneapolis to Seattle. I like actual 4 seasons. I love the changing of the leaves and wearing a variety of clothes. Snow does not scare me. Hell, neither do tornadoes. Experienced a tornado this year, I found it exciting! I found the hail exciting too. I love mother nature the wonders she can create. What I don't like is monotonous weather. It's nice for some people, but it wears me out, especially if it's always hot.
Vancouver does have winter. Why do people think otherwise? It averages 1.7-6.9C in January, which makes it colder than cities such Paris or Shanghai, and nobody in France or China think Paris and Shanghai don't have winters. Like Vancouver, they have rather chilly and grey winters.

A friend of mine from the US recently asked me "why didn't you move to Vancouver since it has good weather"? I asked her "Do you think Seattle has good weather", and she said "no". And I said "guess what, Vancouver is both colder and rainier than Seattle in the winter, so why bother?"

Unless by not have 4 season you mean Van doesn't have summers, which is largely true (well, I guess this year is an exception).

Old 07-06-2015, 10:10 AM

909 posts, read 1,152,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Vancouver does have winter. Why do people think otherwise? It averages 1.7-6.9C in January, which makes it colder than cities such Paris or Shanghai, and nobody in France or China think Paris and Shanghai don't have winters. Like Vancouver, they have rather chilly and grey winters.

A friend of mine from the US recently asked me "why didn't you move to Vancouver since it has good weather"? I asked her "Do you think Seattle has good weather", and she said "no". And I said "guess what, Vancouver is both colder and rainier than Seattle in the winter, so why bother?"

Unless by not have 4 season you mean Van doesn't have summers, which is largely true (well, I guess this year is an exception).
A winter without snow is not considered a real winter to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto