Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 01:21 PM

23 posts, read 33,363 times

Advertisements

I'd prefer Vancouver's winter to Toronto's frigid winters, especially during last year when they had a warmer than average winter while we completely froze here in TO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 01:48 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,630,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
A winter without snow is not considered a real winter to me.
In that case, there are not many cities that actually have real winters in the world. There are not really many cities in the world that receive as much snow as Toronto out there. Even Moscow/St Petersburg only has slightly more snow than TO. Beijing China receives less snow than Vancouver and Victoria - must be a city with no winter!

I wonder why people invented the word "winter" when only a limited numbers of cities have real ones.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:51 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,002,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSH View Post
I'd prefer Vancouver's winter to Toronto's frigid winters, especially during last year when they had a warmer than average winter while we completely froze here in TO.
But isn't TO's winter much sunnier than Van's?

Old 07-06-2015, 08:22 PM

909 posts, read 1,142,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
In that case, there are not many cities that actually have real winters in the world. There are not really many cities in the world that receive as much snow as Toronto out there. Even Moscow/St Petersburg only has slightly more snow than TO. Beijing China receives less snow than Vancouver and Victoria - must be a city with no winter!

I wonder why people invented the word "winter" when only a limited numbers of cities have real ones.
I'm pretty sure most people think of snow when they hear winter. Just do a google image search of "winter" and you will see pictures after pictures of huge fluffy snow. I never said no snow isn't a winter. I said no snow isn't a real winter for me.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:12 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,717,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Most likely but T.O is definitely quite a bit colder in the winter than Vancouver. Actually overcast days in the winter are a bit warmer than those crisp, clear and freeeezing cold days! The sun doesn't seem to help much at all on those days.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:17 PM

909 posts, read 1,142,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Yes, Toronto's winters are much sunnier than Vancouver's. The Vancouver area has the cloudiest winters in all of Canada.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:55 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,630,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Most likely but T.O is definitely quite a bit colder in the winter than Vancouver. Actually overcast days in the winter are a bit warmer than those crisp, clear and freeeezing cold days! The sun doesn't seem to help much at all on those days.
yep those sunny days are usually the coldest days at the same time, and that's not a coincident. Personally I prefer warmer and cloudy.

Old 01-22-2021, 11:45 AM

1,498 posts, read 831,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Actually Oslo is technically colder than Toronto in the winter because December is 2 degrees warmer in Toronto but January and February is the same. But the fact December is warmer makes Toronto a tad warmer than Oslo even in the winter.
Toronto as whole is still colder in the winter than Oslo as a whole - since you're using Toronto's downtown urban heat index hotspot which really isn't used by any major network or newspaper. The official station is Pearson airport.

Here are the actual temps:

OSLO/BLINDERN, Weather History and Climate Data

TORONTO PEARSON INT. AIRPO, Weather History and Climate Data

Old 03-15-2021, 09:19 AM

13 posts, read 10,760 times
Vancouver has a moderate climate compared to Toronto with pleasant summers and tolerable winters. Toronto, in contrast has average rainfall but receives more snowfall than Vancouver. The temperature in the summers can go as high as 28–30 degrees and an extreme -5 to -7 degrees in the winters maybe more.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:47 PM

26,763 posts, read 37,665,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindajames83 View Post
Vancouver has a moderate climate compared to Toronto with pleasant summers and tolerable winters. Toronto, in contrast has average rainfall but receives more snowfall than Vancouver. The temperature in the summers can go as high as 28–30 degrees and an extreme -5 to -7 degrees in the winters maybe more.
Toronto's extremes are actually much more intense than that. Most days in summer are in the upper 20s at least and with humidity the vast majority of days feel like 30C or more.

Extreme days (which occur with some regularity) in the summer are in the 35C range with humidex going over 40 and sometimes even in the upper 40s.

In the winter -5 to -7 would be a cold daytime high but again that would not be in the extreme.

Toronto can get daytime highs no warmer than -10 or even -15 in the winter. Not every day of course but most winters will have at least some days that are that cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto