Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:06 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cturtle View Post
I hope that helps, and as far as Vegemite goes, we banned it 1987! haha. Seriously, we can't figure out how you guys stomach that stuff! I have seen it here though, but I have actually heard it's hard to find.
Actually I found a place where you can buy vegemite in Toronto. At a British bakery/store at a mall on Eglington. Shopkeeper told me it was one of their best sellers. Marmite you can get at major supermarkets (e.g., Loblaw's) but I will only eat marmite if in dire need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Also, the SA city of Adelaide reminded me of Ottawa quite a bit.
I'm curious as to why you compare Adelaide to Ottawa. I can't think of a Canadian city that is comparable. British architecture, surrounded by parklands, next to rolling hills and vineyards... if a city such as ADL exists in Canada, I'd love to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 06:47 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,444,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I'm curious as to why you compare Adelaide to Ottawa. I can't think of a Canadian city that is comparable. British architecture, surrounded by parklands, next to rolling hills and vineyards... if a city such as ADL exists in Canada, I'd love to visit.
Well, you also can't really compare Australia to Canada if you're just talking about geography. With cities, they usually encompass a certain "vibe" or industry or reputation which is why you can often make wide comparisons. I'm assuming the Ottawa-Adelaide comparison is based on the reputations of both cities being "boring" medium-sized "major" cities in their native countries. Australians would wonder why a Canadian would want to move to Adelaide if they could move to somewhere like Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane or Perth. Canadians would wonder why an Australian would want to move to Ottawa if they could choose Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver. For that reason, I can understand the comparison. They're both underrated cities, often overlooked by visitors.

Saying that, if you're strictly talking about landscape, the only place that compares to South Australia in Canada is the Okanagan Valley. My parents lived in Adelaide and will always remark how much the Okanagan reminds them of when they lived in Adelaide - the geography's almost identical - rolling, semi-arid hills covered in vineyards. Perhaps Kelowna is the most physically similar to Adelaide, although Kelowna's aesthetically ugly, although the parkland and the setting's quite spectacular... and unique for Canada.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:44 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
Well, you also can't really compare Australia to Canada if you're just talking about geography. With cities, they usually encompass a certain "vibe" or industry or reputation which is why you can often make wide comparisons. I'm assuming the Ottawa-Adelaide comparison is based on the reputations of both cities being "boring" medium-sized "major" cities in their native countries. Australians would wonder why a Canadian would want to move to Adelaide if they could move to somewhere like Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane or Perth. Canadians would wonder why an Australian would want to move to Ottawa if they could choose Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver. For that reason, I can understand the comparison. They're both underrated cities, often overlooked by visitors.
That’s pretty much it. I must admit that when comparing cities (always a tricky endeavour), I tend to look more at the human side than the geographic side. Which is why, for example, I tend to disagree with people who say that Vancouver is "gorgeous", because I above all look at what humans have built there, which in Vancouver I would qualify as "OK". Of course, the natural setting of a place like Vancouver is stupendous, and equalled by few cities anywhere in the world. But on the human side, to me it’s not much more than an attractive large North American city (which isn’t that bad after all, since NA has so many unattractive cities).

Getting back to Ottawa vs. Adelaide, well except for the vineyards (which Ottawa's climate is too cold for), Ottawa does have most of what minibrings described: nestled among rolling hills, British-style architecture in the more historic parts of the city, tons of parkland all over the place. The Adelaide Hills/Mount Lofty area close to Adelaide also plays a similar role to the Gatineau Park/Gatineau Hills area outside Ottawa.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,768 times
I would like to move to Australia or Canada, but I don't know much about either country, and I was wondering if you could provide your input.

In Australia, I might move to Melbourne, but I like to go to an area with good school (pre-high school), and low crime. Do you know any particular zipcode or good area in this large city that you could provide some information.

In Canada, I have Toronto, Vancouver, etc. which city or zipcode that has good school, good neighbor, and low crime?

Thank you for your input.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:37 PM

409 posts, read 1,459,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie11 View Post
I have read alot on the forums but it seems it is more for the family man. What are the universities like? What are the people like? (if you read the canadian people forum on the Canadian Embassy website (AUS) it seems you guys like your personal space. What ever the hell that means.)
Universities are either located in big cities (like the University of Toronto) or in small communities that become university towns). In the latter case, the students don't tend to mix with the townies. Many social events revolve around the campus or businesses that cater directly to the students (those places are probably dead during the summer holidays). In Toronto, it is a bit harder to attract a crowd to a university pub because you need to compete with all of the other attractions in Toronto. You also get a lot of students who live at home and commute.

In terms of party schools, I have known a fair number of people to have not survived their first year of Carlton (in Ottawa) without getting themselves placed on academic suspension. Queens in Kingston and Western in London are also schools with both a good reputation and lots of social options. Western is a bit preppy and pretentious. Girls wear white T-shirts and shorts and fawn over the athletes. You probably know the drill.

English Canadian girls are often fairly conservative. They are probably the least likely to wear something scandalous on the beach (although I wouldn't apply that to Quebec girls). They are also fairly likely to assume that you are an axe murderer unless you come prequalified by someone else they know. People here are as friendly as anywhere else but they make take a bit more time to feel comfortable than girls in the southern United States (for example).

Old 08-19-2009, 08:41 PM

261 posts, read 668,576 times
[quote=Fred Derf;10358970]Universities are either located in big cities (like the University of Toronto) or in small communities that become university towns). In the latter case, the students don't tend to mix with the townies. Many social events revolve around the campus or businesses that cater directly to the students (those places are probably dead during the summer holidays). In Toronto, it is a bit harder to attract a crowd to a university pub because you need to compete with all of the other attractions in Toronto. You also get a lot of students who live at home and commute.

In terms of party schools, I have known a fair number of people to have not survived their first year of Carlton (in Ottawa) without getting themselves placed on academic suspension. Queens in Kingston and Western in London are also schools with both a good reputation and lots of social options. Western is a bit preppy and pretentious. Girls wear white T-shirts and shorts and fawn over the athletes. You probably know the drill.

"English Canadian girls are often fairly conservative. They are probably the least likely to wear something scandalous on the beach (although I wouldn't apply that to Quebec girls). They are also fairly likely to assume that you are an axe murderer unless you come prequalified by someone else they know. People here are as friendly as anywhere else but they make take a bit more time to feel comfortable than girls in the southern United States (for example)"
LOL I thought I was the only person who thought that you are my instant friend. Girls, and many immigrants of the asian race will practically ignore on a first meeting, especially if white, if they do not know who you are. They will even sometimes go as far as to say why are you talking to me in a mutter, as if to say one has to be crazy to talk to a complete stranger.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:48 PM

261 posts, read 668,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie11 View Post
Hello
I am a student who is sick of Melbourne. I have been researching alot and have been told that Canada is one of the best places to live. Aside from the weather which i am told is quiet cold (Duh i know sorry i wanted to know what is it like. I have read alot on the forums but it seems it is more for the family man. What are the universities like? What are the people like? (if you read the canadian people forum on the Canadian Embassy website (AUS) it seems you guys like your personal space. What ever the hell that means.) So as you can guess i am not getting the proper info. So please i beg of you fill me in. Oh and one more thing. What is the crime rate like. I have been told quiet low but still am wondering about the real Toronto.
Regards
PS any extra info will help out greatly.
I meet an aussie before on exchange, ok people.More open than the english. The best place to live depend son what
-party/young reckless life style/artist/ not serious=toronto or montreal
-conservative business man =toronto or calgary or montreal all are douable
-Healthy green peace nick=vancouver

Toronto has the best universities University of Toronto followed by Schulich Business and osgoode law aschool at Yorku. Ryerson is good for media. Otherwise only queens and western are worth going to but are in "college towns".

Yes Canadians like their personal space so you aussies need to take 1 step back when talking. Its something I noticed about the exchange students is that they stand unconfortably close and stear at you with their eyes, like they want to kiss or something, no offense. Just take a step back and break eye contact every now and then.

Crime, no worse than any big city. I see it as all big cities have lots of crime, its the risk we take everyday. You can be hit by a truck in a city of 80 people at age 29, like a guy who lived down the street from me dad, or you can be hit by a drunk driver in toronto. Its not no rio di janeiro, all i can say is your no more to get rob, beaten or shot here than any other place in the developed world.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,770 times
Toronto is a great city for a student to visit! We have some great universities where you can meet a lot of people. I've been to both Ryerson and York and I liked them both.

We have a great music scene in Toronto if you're into that kind of stuff.

There are a lot of places to shop both retail: Eaton Centre and Queen west. Or if you are into the more bohemian market Kensignton is great for fresh groceries and vintage clothing.

Toronto is FILLED with students so you wont have any problem meeting people, especially since you're from Australia, people will automatically be drawn to your accent.

There are lots of pubs, nightclubs, and concert halls to suit everyones needs.

coffees shops, amazing bookstores...I could go on forever. I love my city.
Crime rate is very low. I am a 21 year old female and I walk there streets alone at night and don't feel afraid. I leave my apartment door unlocked all the time.

We have a lot of transportation options as well! Buses, streetcars, subway. A lot of people ride there bikes, we have a lot of bike lanes as well!

All in all I would say Toronto is a great place for a student to live. In the summer the weather is fabulous and compared to other places in Canada the winters are decent. Compared to Australia, however, you may be in for a bit of a shock. haha. Come round you wont regret it!

Old 12-01-2010, 07:45 PM

5,897 posts, read 6,100,195 times
I guess you haven't gone anywhere with winter? As others said, insulation is great indoors, so that's a non-issue. If you wear a sweater, warm winter coat, hat, gloves, good footwear (ex hiking boots) you'll be fine 99% of the time. I'll echo what others said about finding things to do in the winter - obviously you won't be able to have picnics or play basketball. Make friends with some people who enjoy winter and have snowball fights, try skating or hockey, etc. I find soccer in the snow fun too, the ball doesn't slow down when it hits the ground which can make things pretty unpredictable.

University wise, there's dozens in Southern Ontario including I think 4 or 5 in Toronto. Quality wise, imo it's more uniform than in the U.S. although moreso for arts than technical fields. The type of lifestyle you'd be looking to have in a university is an important factor (party school vs more serious vs city life).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto