U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 08:21 AM

24,691 posts, read 31,396,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
it is the Asians (Chinese, Koreans and Indians) that stand out in Toronto.

It also depends on how recent those immigrants are. White third generation immigrants or older have already become Canadianized.
And in 25 years or so those Asians may no longer stand out (that much) either. Although "visibly" they will, so that is a difference.

But it may be Latin Americans that stand out the most by then. Or some other group...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 11:46 AM

1,669 posts, read 3,890,390 times
Some of the numbers stated upthread for how many people speak Italian at home for Toronto and Montreal are incorrect, here are the figures from the Statcan 2011 census profile:

The Toronto CMA has 63,015 people who speak Italian at home (the 35,025 figure is for the city proper).

The Montreal CMA comes in at 38,855, (with 32,830 in the city proper).

Old 06-02-2015, 12:03 PM

24,691 posts, read 31,396,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Some of the numbers stated upthread for how many people speak Italian at home for Toronto and Montreal are incorrect, here are the figures from the Statcan 2011 census profile:

The Toronto CMA has 63,015 people who speak Italian at home (the 35,025 figure is for the city proper).

The Montreal CMA comes in at 38,855, (with 32,830 in the city proper).
I got my 50,000 figure from here (metro Montreal):
Mod cut.

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...011001-fra.cfm

Last edited by PJSaturn; Today at 11:38 AM.. Reason: French. Only English is permitted in C-D posts.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:06 PM

6,788 posts, read 5,982,696 times
I always felt the Italian presence in Montreal was stronger than in Toronto.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:59 PM

265 posts, read 726,671 times
There's a phenomenon in Sociolinguistics that measures the relationship between the fluency of an ethnic group's heritage language and their ethnic identity living in a diaspora. In other words, in any particular ethnic group, does one need to speak their heritage language to consider themselves part of that group?

The answer varies tremendously between different groups living in a diaspora, and the reasons are complex. However, Italians have always been observed to have the lowest language: identity ratio. In other words, in that group, ethnic affiliation and pride are extremely high despite not being able to speak Italian as a second language.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:29 AM

349 posts, read 404,116 times
When did most of the Italians in Toronto arrive? Like when they went to America? Or a bit later, like post WWII?

Here a lot of Italians still strongly identify as Italian, even if many don't speak much or any Italian. You'll hear some talk about 'wogs and Aussies/skips'. I can't imagine Italian Americans talking about 'Italians' as opposed to 'Americans'. I mean Italian Australians still consider themselves Australian, of course, but many will make a big deal about how Italian they are. Whereas Anglo-Celtic Australians with English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish ancestry often say they're 'just Australian.' Whereas other groups are hyphenated Australians. In the US I feel immigrants integrate more (not that a lot don't here, but it feels more international). I think the fact Australia is 24% born overseas, Canada 17% and the US 12% has something to do with this discrepancy.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:51 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,801,486 times
Although there were some Italians living in Canada before 1946..........

The vast majority came after the end of WW2, as immigrants to Canada.

They tended to be the poor from the countryside, who were close to illiterate in their own language, never mind speaking English. But, despite that handicap, they were hard workers, and in most cases, both husband and wife were working here.

The massive construction projects that were built in Toronto during the 1950's and 60's were mainly staffed by Italian workers. The TTC subway running up Yonge street, the Gardiner Expressway, the Don Valley Parkway, the Pearson airport expansion, the highway 401 and highway 400 expansions, the Bloor East West TTC line, the building of Ontario Place, the list is very long.

The guys who came here as poorly educated manual labourers made damm sure that their kids got a superior education, and many of them went to University here in Canada, and became very successful in many fields. The grand children are also well educated, and quite a few have taken over the family business. Third generation family run resturants, skilled trades companies, and law firms are common here in Toronto, all with Italian family names. They are also well represented in the political life of the city, Province and nation.

I live in the Corso Italia neighbourhood, and contrary to what some have written, it is a strongly Italian area. Having said that there are also many other ethnic groups around here........Brazilian, Viet Namese, Russian, Caribbean, Columbian, and so on. On the 20th of this month, there will be a two day Brazilfest on St Clair Avenue, with lots of music, food and dancing.

Jim B.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:52 PM

12,892 posts, read 12,591,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Although there were some Italians living in Canada before 1946..........

The vast majority came after the end of WW2, as immigrants to Canada.

They tended to be the poor from the countryside, who were close to illiterate in their own language, never mind speaking English. But, despite that handicap, they were hard workers, and in most cases, both husband and wife were working here.

The massive construction projects that were built in Toronto during the 1950's and 60's were mainly staffed by Italian workers. The TTC subway running up Yonge street, the Gardiner Expressway, the Don Valley Parkway, the Pearson airport expansion, the highway 401 and highway 400 expansions, the Bloor East West TTC line, the building of Ontario Place, the list is very long.

The guys who came here as poorly educated manual labourers made damm sure that their kids got a superior education, and many of them went to University here in Canada, and became very successful in many fields. The grand children are also well educated, and quite a few have taken over the family business. Third generation family run resturants, skilled trades companies, and law firms are common here in Toronto, all with Italian family names. They are also well represented in the political life of the city, Province and nation.

I live in the Corso Italia neighbourhood, and contrary to what some have written, it is a strongly Italian area. Having said that there are also many other ethnic groups around here........Brazilian, Viet Namese, Russian, Caribbean, Columbian, and so on. On the 20th of this month, there will be a two day Brazilfest on St Clair Avenue, with lots of music, food and dancing.

Jim B.
Good post Jim

Old 06-04-2015, 07:13 AM

98 posts, read 116,153 times
In my experience living in the west end I felt the Portuguese influence more strongly than I did the Italian influence.

My father, though, working in the suburbs (Richmond Hill) found the opposite. Very little Portuguese influence and a strong Italian influence. The suburban Italian coworkers of his that I met had a strong sense of their Italian heritage even if they couldn't speak the language. (I find the Italian community in Toronto/The GTA to be very similar in it's makeup to the Italian community in New York/New Jersey.)

Old 06-09-2015, 09:54 AM

265 posts, read 726,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
For the sake of comparison, Montreal has 50,000 people who speak Italian at home.

I find Montreal has a more perceptible Italian influence than Toronto does, due to somewhat less diversity in its immigration make-up, and also a greater predominance of Mediterraneanesque influences within the city (French, Italian, Greek, Lebanese, North African, Hispanic, etc.), all of which rub off on one another.

Respectfully, I'm pretty sure that the Italian, Hispanic, Greek, and Portuguese populations are larger in number in Toronto. North African, Lebanese, etc, could be larger in Montreal, but most likely on a per-ethnicity basis. For example, there are more Lebanese in Quebec, but more "Arabs" in general in Ontario.

Re: Latin Americans in Canada, Ontario wins out: The Latin American Community in Canada

Re: Arab populations, Ontario wins out by a mere fraction: The Arab Community in Canada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto