U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM

71 posts, read 10,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
In 1895 Australia did not exist,. It was basically six separate countries, with virtually no immigration polices at all.

The 279,112 is 10 years old (2011) it was 300,114 at the last census (2016), I can guarantee you that the Italian population in Melbourne is understated for exactly the same reason. My kids for instance have 3 different ancestries (UK, German and Korean) going back 2 generations, I just mark them as "Australian"

https://profile.id.com.au/australia/ancestry?WebID=260
In 1901 Australia implemented the White Australia policy, predominately meaning the British Isles, later to include some Northern European countries. I don't think they wanted people from Calabria Italy! As late as WW2, PM John Curtin said "This country shall remain forever the home of descendants of those people who came here in peace in order to establish in the South Seas an outpost of the British race" People go where they are welcomed. Canada, USA, Brazil, and Argentina.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
South Australia’s climate(s) are more similar to southern Italy than anyplace in Canada and the United States, except for California.
Parts of my home state of California have a very Mediterranean feel and look, maybe that is why I love it so much!

Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM

1,033 posts, read 419,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
Parts of my home state of California have a very Mediterranean feel and look, maybe that is why I love it so much!
What will you do if it turns into a bone-dry desert?

Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
What will you do if it turns into a bone-dry desert?
I will still live the rest of my years in California, and then die, and be buried here! I just got done my 5 mile walk, and it was 27c or 81f, bright blue sky, slight refreshing breeze, no bugs, and no humidity. Who needs the rain!

Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM

4,118 posts, read 6,124,173 times
Quote:
In 1901 Australia implemented the White Australia policy, predominately meaning the British Isles, later to include some Northern European countries. I don't think they wanted people from Calabria Italy! As late as WW2, PM John Curtin said "This country shall remain forever the home of descendants of those people who came here in peace in order to establish in the South Seas an outpost of the British race" People go where they are welcomed. Canada, USA, Brazil, and Argentina.
Sigh - Every Australian knows about the WAP, (It was hammered into my head how awful it was at school in the 1980'S). So please do not try to teach an Australian something about Australian history.

What you think it regards to any written law is immaterial in a western democracy, its how its written and enforced that is important.

Last edited by danielsa1775; Yesterday at 09:00 PM..

Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Sigh - Every Australian knows about the WAP, (It was hammered into my head how awful it was at school in the 1980'S). So please do not try to teach an Australian something about Australian history.

What you think it regards to any written law is immaterial in a western democracy, its how its written and enforced that is important.
So it is ok for you to bring up the USA 1924 immigration restriction act? So if that is the case then please do not try to teach an American something about American history.

Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM

Quote:
So it is ok for you to bring up the USA 1924 immigration restriction act? So if that is the case then please do not try to teach an American something about American history.
Sign (Again) I am telling you the WAP never specifically exclude Italians, the 1924 USA Immigration act put a quota on how many Italians could immigrate to the USA , which lead to Italians looking elsewhere, it resulted in an a vast increase in the number of Italians settling in place like Australia and Canada.

Last edited by danielsa1775; Yesterday at 09:20 PM..

Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM

Quote:

My whole point is that before WW2, Australia was not a welcoming place for Southern Europeans, not just Italians. Why do you think that most of them came after WW2? Your theory about the 1924 act is bogus, because hardly any Italians immigrated to Australia from 1924 until the late 1940's. They came because Australia changed their attitude, and policy toward them, and later the Asians.

Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Sign (Again) I am telling you the WAP never specifically exclude Italians, the 1924 USA Immigration act put a quota on how many Italians could immigrate to the USA , which lead to Italians looking elsewhere, it resulted in an a vast increase in the number of Italians settling in place like Australia and Canada.
You are wrong again. Hardly any Italians came to Australia from 1924 until the later 1940's. They came after WW2, because Australia changed its attitude and policy towards Southern Europeans and later Asians. You keep insinuating that Italians right from the beginning could have come en masse to Australia, with welcoming arms from the Aussies. That is total nonsense.

Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM

Quote:
You are wrong again. Hardly any Italians came to Australia from 1924 until the later 1940's. They came after WW2, because Australia changed its attitude and policy towards Southern Europeans and later Asians. You keep insinuating that Italians right from the beginning could have come en masse to Australia, with welcoming arms from the Aussies. That is total nonsense.
I am stating the actual written law, weather Australia would have been welcoming to mass migration form Italy in the period is irrelevant, as their was never enough demand to make it an issue in the first place.

Now IF we had as much immigration as the US did during that time, it may have become an issue in Australia like it did in the USA, however it did not, and it was never an issue.

It was 15 years between 1924 and the start of WW2, and Australia suffered badly from the great depression as as well. So in a space of say 12 years where migration may have been able to happen, how may Italians do you think may have looked at what was then an very insignificant and virtually unknown country on the other side of the world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto