U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 03:19 PM

31 posts, read 40,292 times

Advertisements

My husband has an opportunity in the Downsview area of Toronto. Coming from the US, it is overwhelming to even start navigating my way through housing areas. We have a tween, a teen and a dog so a yard of some sort would be nice. We are used to living in neighborhoods where kids play soccer and ride bikes. A good school district is very important to us. I like to be able to talk to my neighbors and not just live inside of my house. We are outdoorsy active people as in hiking, ride bikes, run etc. Can someone direct me towards areas that would somewhat resemble what I'm looking for? Our price range can be above $1M. I know the cost of living is very expensive and will probably need to be above that range to get what we are looking for. 4 bedrooms ideally - and definitely a garage! We have lots of bikes and soccer goals!
Thanks for any direction and advice!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 09:45 AM

13 posts, read 13,951 times
Hi,

What's your email? I've compiled a pretty in depth list of areas in the city to help newcomers navigate.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:00 AM

Lcat, I'm sorry I don't give out my email. If you can copy and paste it here, that would be great! Plus, it will help others that are looking for the same thing. Thanks! Jensi

Old 08-03-2015, 03:16 PM

13 posts, read 13,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensi22 View Post
Lcat, I'm sorry I don't give out my email. If you can copy and paste it here, that would be great! Plus, it will help others that are looking for the same thing. Thanks! Jensi
It has my branding on It and it'll probably get me banned.

You can email me: sneakers3123@gmail.com

Old 08-08-2015, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,560 times
Hey am a David Nelson, 35 a male A resident in Accra Ghana I want to move to Canada but looking for a sponsor for for my trip to Canada to live and work. I can do any hospitality work please contact me email: [email]syehzoe23@gmail.com[/email]

Old 08-08-2015, 01:08 PM

2,786 posts, read 3,866,207 times
That is NOT how it works.

You apply for a work visa, by going to the Canadian Embassy in the capital city of your home country.

Your education, work experience and specific skills will be reviewed by the Canadian Ministry of Immigration here in Canada. If you are approved for a visa, they will contact you with further details. This will take a couple of YEARS. So don't pack your suitcase just yet. AND remember that only one out of every 5 people are approved, AND you will be competing with millions of others, from around the world, who also want to come to Canada. Unless you have specific actual employment skills, you probably won't get approval. No approval, no work in Canada.

Jim B.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:48 PM

648 posts, read 799,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensi22 View Post
My husband has an opportunity in the Downsview area of Toronto. Coming from the US, it is overwhelming to even start navigating my way through housing areas. We have a tween, a teen and a dog so a yard of some sort would be nice. We are used to living in neighborhoods where kids play soccer and ride bikes. A good school district is very important to us. I like to be able to talk to my neighbors and not just live inside of my house. We are outdoorsy active people as in hiking, ride bikes, run etc. Can someone direct me towards areas that would somewhat resemble what I'm looking for? Our price range can be above $1M. I know the cost of living is very expensive and will probably need to be above that range to get what we are looking for. 4 bedrooms ideally - and definitely a garage! We have lots of bikes and soccer goals!
Thanks for any direction and advice!
I've only been here a couple of months myself and I'm sure others will be familiar with more areas. I'm living in a neighbourhood called Lytton Park. I'm renting but it's almost all single family homes in this area. It's in the city yet very suburban at the same time. Kids, dogs, families, trees, and 15 minutes to downtown. Not sure about the actual housing prices but I think it's considered one of the more affluent areas.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:21 AM

2,708 posts, read 4,164,244 times
In terms of suburban areas that are outside the city, Woodbridge might be worth looking at, it's also not too far from Downsview. It's further from the city though so if you think you or your kids might want to spend time in the city that can be a down-side.

Closer to Downtown, there's the neighbourhoods north of Downtown within a couple miles of Yonge Street (like Lytton Park) and then west of Downtown there's Central Etobicoke or Bloor West Village. There's a few neighbourhoods in the east end like the Beaches too but those are getting to be a long commute from Downsview.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:12 PM

2,309 posts, read 1,758,548 times
Also look into Davisville/Leaside areas a little south-east of Lytton Park, but you'll see kids playing tennis and baseball more than soccer, dog owners w/ their dogs are everywhere and I think there's a Petsmart nearby on Eglinton and Laird if I'm not mistaken. The Bayview strip (Bayview Cemetery to Eglinton) around there is a cute area with bakeries and boutiques and restaurants and such. Eglinton and Bayview has the local upscale supermarket, electronics store, Howard Talbot Park (more baseball) etc....Cool area.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:07 PM

Ive been doing a little more research, Wow Toronto is big! Someone mentioned Etobicoke to me but it seems pretty suburban and away from all of the things that I think we may enjoy in the city. Is this correct or is it not difficult to just hop over to the city from Etobicoke? I've also read about a lot of not so great areas in Etobicoke.
We have always lived in the suburbs but my kids love NYC and want to move there someday but visiting and living there are two different things. I worked in NYC 15 yrs ago and knew I didn't want to raise kids there but now that my boys are tween and teen, we might give city living a chance. I do know there are some things we won't be able to live without such as privacy in a backyard and a decent kitchen. I cook a lot. Also, we have a boxer and although she's lazy most of the time, she does like to run a few times a day.
I love farmer's markets and they seem to be all over Toronto. Love the thought of being able to walk to dinner, movie, entertainment etc. We spend a fortune in gas here in the suburbs! Could I get the convenience of the city but still have an area to bring my dog and an area for my kids to play soccer nearby? I read an article about just showing up at a park and there is always a pick up game of soccer. Is this true?
I will check out Lytton Park, and Bloor West Village. Thank you for those recommendations. I've changed my mind on a million things since I started researching Toronto. We attend private school here but I read Toronto has some very good public schools - of course finding them and knowing where they are has been a bit difficult. Now I think I might be back to the idea of private school. Ugh, I hate the tuition costs. I also thought we would buy right away but now I think renting for a year is smarter. Another reason to do private school so that we wouldn't have to transfer schools if we moved to a different area. Lots of decisions! All of our moves have been in the US and i have my ol standby websites to help. Unfortunately Canada is a whole new ball game.
Also wondering, do most families have two cars or just one and use public transportation? I see there isn't a lot of garage space in Toronto.
Thanks for all of your suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto