Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 11:26 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,845 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any tips on the most cost effective ways to get from Toronto to Manhattan in Mid-September (without walking or hitch hiking!)? Plane, train, bus ... I am flexible. The event is on Saturary, September 18th. I really only want to leave on the Friday and be back on the Monday. I was considering driving, but the cost will add up to around the same and parking in Manhattan is crazy expensive. There is an event I want to go to and I am trying to justify the trip by at least finding a really great deal. I am also trying to justify travelling the distance to go to a 2-3 hour event! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 11:30 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,221,776 times
Bus. That's your cheapest option.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:35 AM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
You could most likely get a RT ticket (Fri-Mon) to LGA or JFK for under $200 RT. Or Fly Porter to Newark for around $250 if they have a sale.

I am sure you could find a bus to take you there for cheap, but that long of a bus trip sounds miserable.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:40 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times
Yea try Porter, UA, or AC. If you buy it in advance they are usually in the $200 range round trip. JFK or Newark prob better as there's direct Airtrain/Subway connection to the city without spending $50+ on taxi fares.

Porter is prob more expensive of the airlines, but they fly direct out of the island airport which is accessible via TTC.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:57 AM

Hi,

I was thinking about the bus ... it is soooo long and uncomfortable and I do not really have a lot of time. I would prefer to getting a cheap flight as a first choice, 2nd choice would be a train ... but I was looking in to that and could not figure out how that works. I will be trying to get to Madison Square Gardens to see a concert. Anyone know which airport is easier to get to Manhattan from, JFK vs LaGaurdia?

Old 08-11-2015, 11:59 AM

Default Rt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
You could most likely get a RT ticket (Fri-Mon) to LGA or JFK for under $200 RT. Or Fly Porter to Newark for around $250 if they have a sale.

I am sure you could find a bus to take you there for cheap, but that long of a bus trip sounds miserable.
Rail from Toronto? I tried looking in to using via rail. I found it confusing. I did not notice anything that was direct? It seems like there are connects.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:25 PM

659 posts, read 899,081 times
I just looked on Orbitz and there are flights from Pearson to JFK on that Friday, returning on Sunday, for less than $200. Sometimes it's cheaper to drive to Buffalo and fly out of there, but it doesn't seem to be in this case.

Taking a bus would be highly unpleasant and taking trains would probably cost as much as a flight, and there's no direct route.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina311 View Post
I just looked on Orbitz and there are flights from Pearson to JFK on that Friday, returning on Sunday, for less than $200. Sometimes it's cheaper to drive to Buffalo and fly out of there, but it doesn't seem to be in this case.

Taking a bus would be highly unpleasant and taking trains would probably cost as much as a flight, and there's no direct route.

Thanks that was a really good find!. I have never used Orbitz. Thanks for the tip. Hotels in New York are so expensive. The hotel I wanted just triple in price over night so the plot thickens.... I want to go only to see a concert. The artist has only performed in Toronto once like 4 years ago (I was not at the show ) and is not likely to come back any time soon as they are not really that popular here. Ahhh ... what to do .. what to do.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:32 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina311 View Post

Often it isn't worth the travel costs/hassle for one person to go to buffalo and fly in the U.S. depending on destination it might be worthwhile for a family to do that.. Generally speaking though, the difference in prices for flights from YYZ to anyplace U.S vs Buffalo and anyplace U.S aren't as much as they used to be.. I remember about 5 years ago or so - it sometimes cost 240 CAD bucks roundtrip buffalo to san Francisco.. I don't see those fares anymore..

Also just a note about orbitz - that 200 is probably in USD btw so just take that into consideration. A good Canadian site I've used before with very competitive prices is flight hub

http://www.flighthub.com/?campaign=2...FQYvaQod3f8J5g

Last edited by fusion2; 08-11-2015 at 06:48 PM..

Old 08-11-2015, 06:39 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post

I did that back in 2005 with a friend (Jamaican friend actually lol - totally serious). Anyway, you got that right miserable!! We were stuck at US Border for almost 2 and a half hours.. The total trip time was about 13 hours to get there (a little less back) and 1/2 hour outside NYC the bus developed problems with its rear shocks and guess who were sitting in the rear.. Needless to say it was brutal.. On top of that when we got to NYC being the ignorant fools we were, we learned of the hassle of travelling back and forth to our hotel in N.J so ending up cancelling and going for a reasonably priced hotel in Manhattan.. We quickly found out why it was reasonably priced - That hotel while brilliantly located in Times Squares was the infamous Hotel Carter.. A TOTAL rat hole that should have been condemned but all in all we had a great time because we were in NYC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto