Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2015, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 682 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm currently finishing up my graduate degree in anthropology and I'm shopping around for cities to settle down in. So far Toronto seems like a great fit for me. I'm originally from Michigan so the climate looks beautiful, people seem cool, bla bla bla...

What I'm really curious about in this post: Are there a lot of craft brewers (Large or small scale) in and around the city? My thesis is on the production and consumption of craft beer and I'd like to snag a job in the brewing industry. What sort of prospects are there in Toronto?

Thanks everyone!

-HH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 11:21 AM

380 posts, read 430,926 times
Ontario Craft Brewers - Welcome | Ontario Craft Brewers

This may help you with your search. There are quite a few microbreweries in the area and not necessarily in Toronto oproper either.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:46 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,498 times
There are plenty of craft brewers in the Toronto area, more specially around the greater Toronto area. A couple do, but most don't set up shop downtown due to high operating costs. Although the history of local craft beer is not as deep as other areas like Quebec or the West/East Coast US, the scene has finally caught on fire over the past decade. New breweries are popping up and there is probably no better time to be a beer drinker in the city than right now. People are finally realizing that there is a lot more to beer than mainstream Molson-Coors and Labatts.

Due to growth, I'd say there are opportunities out there but "craft" brewers are usually very small shops that don't have many employees so there will be inherent challenges breaking in. So if you want it bad enough and don't mind taking some time knocking on doors, you may stand a good shot at finding something, but I would think you'd still have to hustle. It probably also helps if you have education in the field (yes there are practical educational courses you can find).

If you are coming from the US, I think you'll face VISA issues. I'm no expert on immigration issues so I don't have all the answers but you cannot just move north of the border, find work, then call it a day. Not sure it's that simple. And I'm not sure small batch brewers will be in any position to handle a VISA sponsorship. So you have to consider the VISA aspect as well in your plans.

P.S. Your originally from Michigan. I gotta say, I love Founders.

Last edited by johnathanc; 09-08-2015 at 11:55 AM..

Old 09-10-2015, 05:09 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Steamwhistle is right next to the CN Tower.....

Old 09-10-2015, 07:46 PM

5,898 posts, read 6,102,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willg View Post
Ontario Craft Brewers - Welcome | Ontario Craft Brewers

This may help you with your search. There are quite a few microbreweries in the area and not necessarily in Toronto oproper either.
Seems like there are some missing. Living in Waterloo, there were two breweries in my neighbourhood - Waterloo (aka Brick) Brewing Co, which has since moved to nearby Kitchener and Gold Crown/Lion Brewery. Neither of those are on the map and have been around for a while. There's also the newer Innocente Brewing Co, and Abe Erb Brewpub, both in Waterloo, ON and not on the map. I wonder how many are missing from other parts of Ontario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto