U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2008, 07:18 AM

3 posts, read 14,994 times

Advertisements

I am from the UK and have a 10 year old son who plays ice hockey. I am looking for a Xmas time hockey camp in Canada so that we can combine a holiday with some daytime training for him. Can anyone recommend a camp near Toronto – he has only been playing for 1 1/2 seasons so I don’t want something to intense, its got to be fun.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 03:00 PM

4,284 posts, read 14,876,724 times
Hmmmm.

This could be harder to find than you might think.

The Christmas holidays are traditionally a time when many hockey tournaments are taking place. Ice time in Toronto will be at an absolute premium and hockey season is at its mid-point, so there aren't a whole bunch of camps.

You say you're from the UK. Is that where your son is playing? At what level is he playing? AAA? Select? House League?

I'll have a look around for camps a little later and get back to you.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:36 PM

4,284 posts, read 14,876,724 times
There are several organizations which apparrently offer hockey camps in the Greater Toronto Area around Christmas.

Rather than list all the links here for you, just Google "hockey camps Toronto Christmas".

You can then read all the literature yourself and initiate contact with those that offer the program that you prefer.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:29 PM

215 posts, read 1,600,632 times
P.S.

In canada we say "hockey" and not "ice hockey". We just assume hockey is ice unless you say "street hockey" specifically etc.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:32 AM

Default Thanks for the advice

I appreciate the help – my son plays for Newcastle Vipers www.newcastlevipers.com we live in the north of England.
Because there aren’t that many ice rinks in UK we travel quite some distance to away games, 5 hrs in the car. He has a tournament in France in April as well

I don’t know what skill level he would be at because I haven’t got any clue what your grade system is. I know he loves skating and I spend most of my spare time standing in a cold ice rink. He will probably be no good compared to the Canadian kids but it won’t put him off, the experience will be good.

If I cant, find a suitable camp I might just get lessons for him. But kids like to be with other kids. I,ve never been to Canada before and I need a place where there,s plenty to do for us parents as well. I have looked at google for the Toronto camps but a rink recommendation close to the tourist parts would be appreciated

Hockey in the UK is a fast growing sport but in the top league (called Elite) we only get 2500 spectators.

2 weeks ago I went to www.hcsparta.cz/english.asp in Prague - it was brilliant the crowd was mental. Were lucky enough to be able to get cheap flights from Newcastle and really top class seats in Prague cost only £4.00

Thanks for all the help

Old 02-02-2008, 11:33 AM

23,883 posts, read 67,601,463 times
Is there any possibilities for you to talk to the players on the parent team?
There are at least half a dozen players from Ontario on the Vipers roster.
Maybe they know anything about it?

Old 02-04-2008, 05:20 AM

Good Idea

Will see them sometime this week our kids train after the main squad.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto