Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 05:30 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,050,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Reading this thread reinforces to me how bad Canada and by extension Toronto's climate really is. If you only have a short window of a few months a year to have festivals where people can stand outside for hours comfortably, that's not a sign of a good climate. I wonder if they would ever start a thread like this in the San Diego or Hawaii CD forums...
How's the skiing in Hawaii?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 08:22 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
How's the skiing in Hawaii?
I think it might be possible to ski on the top of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa actually. They get a bit of snow up there
Seriously though, most people in Toronto don't go skiing every weekend or even that often in winter at least not compared to a place like Vancouver Most people just whine about the cold and do indoor activities.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:37 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think it might be possible to ski on the top of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa actually. They get a bit of snow up there
Seriously though, most people in Toronto don't go skiing every weekend or even that often in winter at least not compared to a place like Vancouver Most people just whine about the cold and do indoor activities.

All these "the cold winter gives us the advantage of winter sports" argument has always been 100% bogus and laughable.

Skiing, unlike any regular sports such as swimming, tennis or basketball, is not something you can simply go to do any time you want. It involves a lot of preparation, at least an hour of driving, a couple of hundred dollars each time, and often an overnight stay at a resort (which means $$$). It is likely being 2 hours from Niagara Falls isn't exactly an advantage of living in Toronto.

A regular Toronto family probably gets to go out for skiing like 3 times, for a total of 15 hours maximum during their miserable 5 months winter. The rest of the time they shiver in bitter cold comforted by the idea that "I can at least go ski in 3 weeks while those in San Diego can't!".

There must be a name for such a psychological disease. Next time someone brings forward this argument as an advantage of Canadian winter, I will probably throw up.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:02 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
All these "the cold winter gives us the advantage of winter sports" argument has always been 100% bogus and laughable.

Skiing, unlike any regular sports such as swimming, tennis or basketball, is not something you can simply go to do any time you want. It involves a lot of preparation, at least an hour of driving, a couple of hundred dollars each time, and often an overnight stay at a resort (which means $$$). It is likely being 2 hours from Niagara Falls isn't exactly an advantage of living in Toronto.

A regular Toronto family probably gets to go out for skiing like 3 times, for a total of 15 hours maximum during their miserable 5 months winter. The rest of the time they shiver in bitter cold comforted by the idea that "I can at least go ski in 3 weeks while those in San Diego can't!".

There must be a name for such a psychological disease. Next time someone brings forward this argument as an advantage of Canadian winter, I will probably throw up.
Opposite is true in winter in Vancouver. Skiing is close by, people do it after work. Weekends spent in Whistler can be magical.
Snow shoeing is also popular as is cross-country skiing.

Vancouver is finished with the cherry and plum blossoms and we've already had several beach days and highs
to 25-27 C inland.

The last few days have been much cooler, but people aren't wearing coats, some light jackets, but a lot just in shirt sleeves.

Personally, I don't think I'd like Toronto's winters, or having to wait so long for Spring like weather.

My friends in LA who do ski, lament the fact that Big Bear, a place where they have a cabin, hasn't had a good season in a while. They do envy skiers in Vancouver who can hop a bus if they wish, and be on a mountain quickly.

It all depends on ones priorities.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:19 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
I am not sure what any of you are talking about regarding being outdoors in the winter. If people want to be outdoors they are going to do it. Rain, sun or snow.. I go out for walk daily (only exception is if it is lightening). I wear weather appropriate clothing. I could be living on top of a ski hill or ice rink and have no interest in skiing or skating any time of year. I live 5 minutes from a beach and never to never go regardless of the weather. Some people prefer to be home more in general and then there are people like me that would prefer to be out roaming around. Being outdoors in a city does not mean you are doing sports (unless shopping is a sport !). You can be roaming around from cafes, shops, restaurants, museums, public events. These things happen all year round in Toronto. People who choose to stay indoors during the winter could likely be people that just don't tend to be out that much in general. If you want to go out in Toronto all year round there is stuff to do. No need to sit inside. Also our winters are not that bad compared to many other places and even it walking around outside in the cold there are usually stores or places you can walk in to defrost. If you have a good jacket and are dressed appropriately it will not really be as bad as people are making it out to be.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:16 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
I'm one of those people that jumped at the chance to get out of a Toronto winter. We were given an opportunity to move to Atlanta where we knew nobody and where we knew nothing and we took it. I miss my family but LOVE LOVE LOVE the hot humid summers that start in April and end the end of October.......the Christmas day cocktails on the deck with a sweatshirt.....blah, blah. We then had a chance to move close to the ocean and that was even better.

We figure it was our short Canadian summers that taught us to appreciate every nice day. And we still do even if they happen all year long here.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:51 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
How long ago did you leave? Global warming is actually doing wonders for our climate in Toronto (though it might be screwing over the rest of the word )! Our winter this year was no big deal. We really dont have any right to complain.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:10 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Personally, I don't think I'd like Toronto's winters, or having to wait so long for Spring like weather.

Its not that much of a spread between temps in Toronto and Vancouver in the spring. After 21MAR its only a 2 degree difference in daytime highs between the two in favour of Vancouver

https://weatherspark.com/averages/27...olumbia-Canada
https://weatherspark.com/averages/28...Ontario-Canada

A big but in April though in Toronto actually its better!

https://weatherspark.com/averages/28...olumbia-Canada

People are equating one colder than normal spring in 2016 with how weather is in spring over time in Toronto.. They are focusing an an outlier instead of historical averages.

Obviously winter is better in Vancouver but I don't see how that argument can be made for spring at all.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:14 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Its not that much of a spread between temps in Toronto and Vancouver in the spring. After 21MAR its only a 2 degree difference in daytime highs between the two in favour of Vancouver

https://weatherspark.com/averages/27...olumbia-Canada

A big but in April though in Toronto actually its actually better!

https://weatherspark.com/averages/28...olumbia-Canada

People are equating one colder than normal spring in 2016 with how weather is in spring over time in Toronto.. They are focusing an an outlier instead of historical averages.

Obviously winter is better in Vancouver but I don't see how that argument can be made for spring at all.
Beg to differ Spring weather by Toronto standards starts at the end of January in Vancouver. bwahaha

Anyway I'm off, running up to the pub to meet friends. Patio weather ! LOL

Old 04-28-2016, 04:18 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Beg to differ Spring weather by Toronto standards starts at the end of January in Vancouver. bwahaha

Anyway I'm off, running up to the pub to meet friends. Patio weather ! LOL
lol I suppose its how you frame things in your mind.. That said, typically April is better in Toronto and for many months following up until well into the fall.. Enjoy your Patio Nat and I really hope a bug doesn't get in your beer hahaha... I've been watching you prancing around like a peacock re your nicer Vancouver April weather than Toronto in 2016 - don't worry hun - two can play that dance and i'll be keeping an eye on the weather there ready to prance at the first moment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto