Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 08:58 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,714,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
While it will always pale in comparison to Toronto's numbers, Montreal is carving out a nice niche for itself in the francophone immigration world. It's fast becoming a major demographic hub for the French-speaking world, especially as France continues to have a tough time and populations in francophone Africa continue to rise very fast.

Montreal gets more immigrants than any other city in Canada-USA aside from NYC, LA, Toronto and Miami. So this means more than Vancouver and Calgary, but also DC, Houston, Chicago, Boston, Dallas, SF, Atlanta, etc.
That's really good to know! I would absolutely hate to see Montreal decline, even in relatively terms. Do you really a strong trend of immigration from France?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 09:12 AM

565 posts, read 671,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
That's really good to know! I would absolutely hate to see Montreal decline, even in relatively terms. Do you really a strong trend of immigration from France?
France is the country that sends the most immigrants to Quebec, but there are more French speaking immigrants coming from African countries if you combine them together. Here are 2015 immigration numbers for Quebec:
France : 4,524
China : 3,644
Iran : 3,556 (a surprise to me, we don't hear a lot about immigration from Iran in Quebec)
Syria : 2,870
Algeria : 2,706
Morocco : 2,477
Haiti : 2,307
Cameroun : 1,711
Philippines : 1,561 (another surprise for me)
Côte d'Ivoire: 1,351
Total : 49,024 (vs 50,275 in 2014)

Old 05-02-2016, 09:25 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Iran : 3,556 (a surprise to me, we don't hear a lot about immigration from Iran in Quebec)

We have a number of them here in Gatineau. Our biggest local auto dealership group is owned by an Iranian guy.

And one of my kids has two Iranian friends at school.

Although obviously 3,500 of them didn't move to Gatineau in one year. That would be huge for a city of our size.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:00 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times
Quote:
The problem with Vancouver isn't just high RE cost. Great cities have high cost of living, most people get it and can deal with it. People living in NYC, London or Paris don't expect to own a large detached home in central city either. I myself would have no problem living in a 550sf condo. What's the big deal? The problem is what kind of upward career opportunities are available for young people and mid career professionals. Does Vancouver plans to be just a resort/retirement kind of niche city, or does it want to become an economic power house and innovative centre? San Francisco is expensive too, but it has the strong job market to at least partially support that, while Vancouver seems to welcome only those who are already successful elsewhere.
Not looking at long term structural issues in Vancouver, it has been doing well the last year in the Canadian economic context and GDP growth. As for S.F's success - its definitely there but the income inequality is quite pronounced. Its very much a place of the have and the have not's.

Vancouver To Lead Country in Economic Growth Again in 2016

Between Vancouver and Calgary, I have more concerns about Calgary's long term outlook than Vancouver. 3 or 4 years ago that would have been unimaginable to say.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-02-2016 at 04:21 PM..

Old 05-02-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There is also however the question of whether Vancouver is killing the goose who laid the golden egg with sky-high housing ownership costs, and whether the number of people writing off the city as a potential place to live for this reason will continue to grow.
its a good point - if there are affordable options in the metro it might not be that much of an issue as long as people can with relative efficiency commute to place of work. Certainly like any major city though, a focus on affordable housing and good transit is essential along with of course a dynamic economy.

Here is a comparison between CMA of Vancouver and Montreal from Statscan 2006-2011.

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...&GK=CMA&GC=933
https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...&GK=CMA&GC=462

Both CMA's added about 200K people but obviously Vancouver represents a higher percentage because its a smaller CMA to begin with.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-02-2016 at 05:27 PM..

Old 05-03-2016, 09:10 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,714,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Not looking at long term structural issues in Vancouver, it has been doing well the last year in the Canadian economic context and GDP growth. As for S.F's success - its definitely there but the income inequality is quite pronounced. Its very much a place of the have and the have not's.

Vancouver To Lead Country in Economic Growth Again in 2016

Between Vancouver and Calgary, I have more concerns about Calgary's long term outlook than Vancouver. 3 or 4 years ago that would have been unimaginable to say.
as I mentioned several times before, SF's problem is not about haves and have-nots. It is NYMBYs running rampant prevent construction of new homes to meet the surging demand. It is so stupid and the skyrocketing high RE prices is 90% man-made.

I am not sure income inequality is the right term. A city should not be punished for providing multi-millionaire jobs, should it? So the existence of rich people due to the city's success shouldn't be much of a concern or a factor in calculating "income equality", instead the focus should be on whether the lower income earners are able to increase their standard of life. Additionally due to SF's liberal policy, the poor have a tendency to move there, which can distort statistics.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:23 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,045 times
Ok you guys a killing the fun out this thread with all your stats lol :P!

Anyone been to any of the Invictusgames events? I heard about it for the first time on the news last night.

Prince Harry and PM Trudeau start Invictus*Games countdown in*Toronto - The Globe and Mail

Old 05-03-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
as I mentioned several times before, SF's problem is not about haves and have-nots. It is NYMBYs running rampant prevent construction of new homes to meet the surging demand. It is so stupid and the skyrocketing high RE prices is 90% man-made.

I am not sure income inequality is the right term. A city should not be punished for providing multi-millionaire jobs, should it? So the existence of rich people due to the city's success shouldn't be much of a concern or a factor in calculating "income equality", instead the focus should be on whether the lower income earners are able to increase their standard of life. Additionally due to SF's liberal policy, the poor have a tendency to move there, which can distort statistics.
I'm not going to get into any arguments about Nimby's with you but to not acknowledge this as an issue is an issue in itself regardless of the reasons - its calling a spade a spade.

Income inequality on par with developing nations - SFGate

Its possible for a city/region to get things right and wrong at the same time.. Doesn't have to be one way or the other.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Ok you guys a killing the fun out this thread with all your stats lol :P!

Anyone been to any of the Invictusgames events? I heard about it for the first time on the news last night.

Prince Harry and PM Trudeau start Invictus*Games countdown in*Toronto - The Globe and Mail
I only heard about it because of that whole bomb thing between the Obama's and QE2/Harry. Pretty small event though. I think only 14 countries are participating. Actually, given the nature of the event the less countries the better I guess but still, I think its too small. Good cause anyway and any event that brings people to Toronto is a good thing in my books.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:36 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,045 times
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I only heard about it because of that whole bomb thing between the Obama's and QE2/Harry. Pretty small event though. I think only 14 countries are participating. Actually, given the nature of the event the less countries the better I guess but still, I think its too small. Good cause anyway and any event that brings people to Toronto is a good thing in my books.
What bombing thing? ... I seriously need to pick up a news paper and take my head phones off more often? I think it is a pretty cool idea. Although military people scare the hell out of me. I really feel sorry for those people that risk their lives doing that kind of stuff. I work with people that are expected to die and it is emotionally draining so I can not even imagine how traumatic it must be for these veterans to see all these war zones and being in combat then to come back physically and mentally harmed. It must be heart breaking. I am happy there is an event like this to help bring some hope and good back in to their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto