Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2017, 08:00 AM

287 posts, read 306,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
I see there are two kinds of posters participating in this endless discussion: people born and raised in Toronto (or Canada) and those who immigrated here (as adults). The life experiences of these two categories of people are usually very different. Also those who were born and raised here have established social circles / friends / families. On the other hand most immigrants / transplants leave their social circles / friends / relatives and have to develop most of things from scratch.

So we get a pretty pointless discussion: many native born Torontonians say it is normal here (because they never lived in other places and can't compare, they have established social circles), while most immigrants / transplants complain, comparing Toronto with their places of origin.
Agree with you on the part about the native born ... but many immigrants/transplants in this thread have also lived in other places and were mainly making the comparison against those places (other than where they originally came from)

Old 02-19-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
This Is the definitely the most popular thread. I was at the grocery store and heard some British lady complaining that people in toronto are so down and antisocial I thought of this thread and dint do anything. So I'm going to stop complaining and just be the cold person toronto taught me to be.

Like If you want to have random small talk with people go to Virginia lady. Now **** and let me pay for my things.
Haha, I saw this age old topic gets dug up again, way to have another round of arguing for year 2017!

Old 02-19-2017, 09:09 AM

800 posts, read 730,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moveagain View Post
Haha, I saw this age old topic gets dug up again, way to have another round of arguing for year 2017!
This side of the forum is dead without this topic. We are cold individuals. Own it.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
This side of the forum is dead without this topic. We are cold individuals. Own it.
The fact this thread has been going on for so long pretty much confirms the existence of the problem

Old 02-19-2017, 09:49 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default .......

Quote:
Speak for yourself. Also a British/ English person calling a Canadian cold is comical. I have lived in London ....lol ... everyone is not all warm and fuzzy. Also people tend to be less generious because things are really expensive and home spaces in the city are smaller.

Regardless..... it totally depends I am in WTF mode and I have been talking to people randomly especially if related to one of my pasions .

Shopping .... events or JEWELRY!!!!

If you want to talk about something I have no interest in ex the game .... I will listen ... but have next no interest in the conversation.

Last week I saw this lady trying to buy this really expensive toy for her grand kid as a gift and I walked up to her and gave her some ideas on places to get it cheaper !

I think people are always suprised when someone one who dresses like me talks about tips for saving money on buying nice stuff. I have nice stuff .... but shop anywhere to get a great deal (thrift..... resale ... clearence .....etc) and I even re-purpose stuff.

Recently I have been meeting other people who share similar interests and getting more freindly with them.

If I like the topic I will talk to anyone.

The only exception is if I am worried it will be taken the wrong way for example I was on a pretty full bus and I was over hearing 2 people in their eary 20s talk about not being in school ...or work ... getting kicked out fron their parents home's.... I wanted of offer some advice.... but I also did not want to embarrass them or seem nosey. FYI people if you are talking loudly about your business in a public space you are asking for a group conversation... otherwise keep your mouth shut !

Last edited by klmrocks; 02-19-2017 at 11:00 AM..

Old 02-20-2017, 12:36 PM

412 posts, read 386,041 times
OK, as a resident of another town whose people allegedly are cold and aloof, I didn't find that experience in Toronto at all. Of course, my motive for coming there was to seek out the minority communities, so maybe that biased my experience. However, at no point in about 5 trips did I have the thought "Well, that was a chilly encounter". Heck, maybe I think people in Toronto are the way I'd prefer them to be!

Old 02-20-2017, 04:53 PM

lol ....

When something positive is said ... team grumpy says NOTHING !

.... I guess not only the weather in Toronto is getting a tiny bit warmer today !

Old 02-20-2017, 08:41 PM

800 posts, read 730,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Speak for yourself. Also a British/ English person calling a Canadian cold is comical. I have lived in London ....lol ... everyone is not all warm and fuzzy. Also people tend to be less generious because things are really expensive and home spaces in the city are smaller.

Regardless..... it totally depends I am in WTF mode and I have been talking to people randomly especially if related to one of my pasions .

Shopping .... events or JEWELRY!!!!

If you want to talk about something I have no interest in ex the game .... I will listen ... but have next no interest in the conversation.

Last week I saw this lady trying to buy this really expensive toy for her grand kid as a gift and I walked up to her and gave her some ideas on places to get it cheaper !

I think people are always suprised when someone one who dresses like me talks about tips for saving money on buying nice stuff. I have nice stuff .... but shop anywhere to get a great deal (thrift..... resale ... clearence .....etc) and I even re-purpose stuff.

Recently I have been meeting other people who share similar interests and getting more freindly with them.

If I like the topic I will talk to anyone.

The only exception is if I am worried it will be taken the wrong way for example I was on a pretty full bus and I was over hearing 2 people in their eary 20s talk about not being in school ...or work ... getting kicked out fron their parents home's.... I wanted of offer some advice.... but I also did not want to embarrass them or seem nosey. FYI people if you are talking loudly about your business in a public space you are asking for a group conversation... otherwise keep your mouth shut !
Geez I guess you really want me to reply. Ok I will. I was just saying what someone else said . I don't know why you are so resistant when its obvious people here have different characteristics than in other places. Now not everyone in toronto is cold and hostile but people keep to themselves. Which can be interpreted as cold. Maybe that British lady is new and wants to make friends. She simply cannot do it here the same way she did in Britain. I could have easily asked and changed her mind I just did no care too. I'll only talk to you if I want something from you. And I wanted nothing from her.

And not all toronto women don't make a move. This barista left lipstick kisses all over my coffee lid. I didn't notice until I drove out the dive thru. I didn't know what to think about It just that my coffee tasted like perfume then I noticed all the lipstick marks on it. Granted it's no really a move but I do appreciate the compliment.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:18 PM

Default Lol....

Quote:
Geez I guess you really want me to reply. Ok I will. I was just saying what someone else said . I don't know why you are so resistant when its obvious people here have different characteristics than in other places. Now not everyone in toronto is cold and hostile but people keep to themselves. Which can be interpreted as cold. Maybe that British lady is new and wants to make friends. She simply cannot do it here the same way she did in Britain. I could have easily asked and changed her mind I just did no care too. I'll only talk to you if I want something from you. And I wanted nothing from her.

And not all toronto women don't make a move. This barista left lipstick kisses all over my coffee lid. I didn't notice until I drove out the dive thru. I didn't know what to think about It just that my coffee tasted like perfume then I noticed all the lipstick marks on it. Granted it's no really a move but I do appreciate the compliment.
Lol re the barista ..... I would have reported her to public health.... you know Influenza outbreaks are happening all over the city right ? That could be the kiss of dealth lol.

Ya ... I could have been a bit more friendly last night. I was at a concert last night with someone male ( sucks for him as he is single and as I am wearing a wedding ring to people assume he is my husband lol). There was this who was there alone...... which something I do too and we had a breift exchane of words when the 3 of us were all lost looking for the venue.... but once we got there we went separate ways. This could have been a great contact/ freind for me as I like going to concerts too. However..... I have found it tricky to have make straight freinds when single ..... and being married that could a actually become a problem.....so I did not put more effort in to talking It really hard to meet people at clubs or concerts.... lol. Hard to talk over the music.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:13 PM

412 posts, read 386,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Lol re the barista ..... I would have reported her to public health.... you know Influenza outbreaks are happening all over the city right ? That could be the kiss of dealth lol.

Ya ... I could have been a bit more friendly last night. I was at a concert last night with someone male ( sucks for him as he is single and as I am wearing a wedding ring to people assume he is my husband lol). There was this who was there alone...... which something I do too and we had a breift exchane of words when the 3 of us were all lost looking for the venue.... but once we got there we went separate ways. This could have been a great contact/ freind for me as I like going to concerts too. However..... I have found it tricky to have make straight freinds when single ..... and being married that could a actually become a problem.....so I did not put more effort in to talking It really hard to meet people at clubs or concerts.... lol. Hard to talk over the music.
Well I wouldn't report her. If I were actively dating, I'd try to get some of those kisses in a more intimate way (don't run away with this). If I was wrong about her meaning, then I'd exchange my cup. I don't know, though, that every barista is one I'd want to see more of. But I just did not come away from 5 trips with an impression of coldness. I can't remember a single unpleasant interaction in Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto