Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 01:26 PM

74 posts, read 88,554 times

Advertisements

Anyone know if there's an authentic Mexican grocery store anywhere around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 03:04 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,053 times
I am not 100% sure how Mexican these places are rathre then just Latin American, but on St. Clair between Christie and Ossington there are some stores, but they really do not look like they have much stuff in them and some of them sell hot food too. If you are looking for certain ingredients or products you might possibly be able to find it at a regular no frills in an area with a significant Latin American population in one of the isles that have ethnic stuff. You also might be able to find it in a Chinese grocery store chain... why because they often sell a lot of different types of products. They frequently sell items and brand names popular in the Caribbean or Latin America. A couple months ago I was at a walmart in scarborough and they actually sold salsa (hot sauces and more authentic/ different sauces) that were actually made in Mexico rather then "ol el passo type brands". Every Christmas my family makes something we called pastelles, which are actually the same thing as tamales (huge pain to make). We use to have to get the banana leaves and promasa from ethnic grocery stores when I was a kid, but now we just go to one of those large Chinese grocery store or no frills. I am always shopping for stuff all over the city and love more ethnic type grocery stores because I like trying new products. If there are specific products you are looking for let me know and I can keep and eye out for you.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:20 PM

Interesting - thanks for such a comprehensive answer! That's exactly right: what I'm looking for is more Mexican ingredients (like good mole, chocolate, spices, other stuff) more than mexican food. I hadn't thought of perusing ethnic places in general to see what kind of cross-ethnic offerings there might be. Thanks!

Old 10-16-2015, 03:21 PM

Is there a Mexican community around the GTO? I know there's lots of little Italies, Portugals, many Chinatowns, of course the Danforth for Greek. But I haven't heard of an essentially Mexican area anywhere...

Old 10-16-2015, 03:59 PM

Default Other ideas

Yes. There is a significant Mexican population in Toronto. I went to this really really good Day of the Dead Event put on by Casa Maíz organization at Artscape Wychwood Barns 601 Christie Street last year. I met a lot of Mexican people livign in Toronto. Check out the website for this years event. They had a lot of authentic Mexican food at the event for sale too such as tomales, more authentic type tacos, sweets and this place called Pancho's bakery was selling the sweet bread usually had for this celebration. Also if you are ever in Toronto there are other more authentic Mexican type bakeries and restaurants. Ex. Pancho's Bakery Welcome to Pancho's Bakery
The places also owns food trucks that cell Churros all over the city especially at street festivals. They have a few stores.

If you are looking for Mexican chocolate there is this place called Chocosol Traders that I pass by on St. Clair Ave West in Toronto. They also sell Tortillas.
About | ChocoSol Traders

I have never actually gone in, but the store lookes nice/ trendy hipsterish (aka expensive). I have a feeling I tired some of the stuff they sell when I was at another Day of the Dead event at this farmers market place called Evergreen Brick Works in Toronto last year. This place has horrible parking and is a little to I love mother eather for me, but it was cool checking it out.

I go to a lot of Latin American events in the city and always meet Mexican people ex. last night at the Ricky Martin concert (5 girls sitting behind me.... Mexican) and lots of Mexican flags being waived in the audience. To my understanding there is a good size Mexican population around the Vaughan Road area in Toronto. There are also a lot of Mexican restaurnts and bakeries in this area too. Check out this link The Best 10 Mexican Restaurants in Vaughan Road, Toronto, ON, Canada

and Best Mexican bakery in Toronto, ON, Canada

Some of these places on the website are not Mexican (no idea how Hero Certified Burger is on this list) and
El Cafetal Restaurant & Bakery closed a few months ago due to lack of business, but they seemed to have good reviewed.
I have never got a chance to walk around on Vaughan Road in Toronto yet, but I have heard there are several very popular Mexican bakeries/ eateries that are quaint, but popular with local residents. Most of the places listed are not on Vaughn Road they are west of Vaughan Road and St. Clair.

Also check out this link as it has several Mexican/ Latin American grocery stores on it.

Toronto Latin American Products Grocery Stores.

I think I have been to at least one of these places before to get tortillas. I swear you can find just about any ethnic item in Toronto, you just need to know where to look.

Last edited by klmrocks; 10-16-2015 at 04:13 PM..

Old 10-17-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Yes. There is a significant Mexican population in Toronto. I went to this really really good Day of the Dead Event put on by Casa Maíz organization at Artscape Wychwood Barns 601 Christie Street last year. I met a lot of Mexican people livign in Toronto. Check out the website for this years event. They had a lot of authentic Mexican food at the event for sale too such as tomales, more authentic type tacos, sweets and this place called Pancho's bakery was selling the sweet bread usually had for this celebration. Also if you are ever in Toronto there are other more authentic Mexican type bakeries and restaurants. Ex. Pancho's Bakery Welcome to Pancho's Bakery
The places also owns food trucks that cell Churros all over the city especially at street festivals. They have a few stores.

If you are looking for Mexican chocolate there is this place called Chocosol Traders that I pass by on St. Clair Ave West in Toronto. They also sell Tortillas.
About | ChocoSol Traders

I have never actually gone in, but the store lookes nice/ trendy hipsterish (aka expensive). I have a feeling I tired some of the stuff they sell when I was at another Day of the Dead event at this farmers market place called Evergreen Brick Works in Toronto last year. This place has horrible parking and is a little to I love mother eather for me, but it was cool checking it out.

I go to a lot of Latin American events in the city and always meet Mexican people ex. last night at the Ricky Martin concert (5 girls sitting behind me.... Mexican) and lots of Mexican flags being waived in the audience. To my understanding there is a good size Mexican population around the Vaughan Road area in Toronto. There are also a lot of Mexican restaurnts and bakeries in this area too. Check out this link The Best 10 Mexican Restaurants in Vaughan Road, Toronto, ON, Canada

and Best Mexican bakery in Toronto, ON, Canada

Some of these places on the website are not Mexican (no idea how Hero Certified Burger is on this list) and
El Cafetal Restaurant & Bakery closed a few months ago due to lack of business, but they seemed to have good reviewed.
I have never got a chance to walk around on Vaughan Road in Toronto yet, but I have heard there are several very popular Mexican bakeries/ eateries that are quaint, but popular with local residents. Most of the places listed are not on Vaughn Road they are west of Vaughan Road and St. Clair.

Also check out this link as it has several Mexican/ Latin American grocery stores on it.

Toronto Latin American Products Grocery Stores.

I think I have been to at least one of these places before to get tortillas. I swear you can find just about any ethnic item in Toronto, you just need to know where to look.
That's awesome! Thanks!

Old 10-17-2015, 08:27 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times
This looks like a Mexican store to me.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Tie...378671!6m1!1e1

Old 10-17-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
This looks like a Mexican store to me.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Tie...378671!6m1!1e1
Sure does. Thanks.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:35 PM

Mexican Restaurants:

El Trompo Taco Bar and Grill 227 Augusta Ave
El Arepazo 214 Agusta Ave
Rebozos 126 Rogers Road

Venezuelan Food:

Gordo Ex Café 1048 Bathurst St

Peruvian:

La Cocoina De Dona Luz
807 St Clair Ave West
(planning on trying this one soon as the food looks good)

El Salvador
Cuscallan
3232 Steeles Ave West

Lula Longue
Food, music, Fun

Grocery Stores:

Latin World (Also has hot table)
1229 Bloor Stree West

Old 11-08-2015, 07:39 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post

Peruvian:

La Cocoina De Dona Luz
807 St Clair Ave West
(planning on trying this one soon as the food looks good)
Has anyone been to this place? Any other good Peruvian places in T.O? I love Peruvian food, After Mexican it is my favorite Latin cuisine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto