Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 10:03 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,455,039 times

Advertisements

Newtown CT, kids and teachers shot dead by a kid with his Mother's guns. How ironic that she was killed by a gun that SHE bought.

How can they change this idiotic situation ?

Is there any hope for that country ?

I spent 30 years in the CF, in the military Police, so I was armed every day that I was on duty. BUT I have no need for a gun at home, and I can't see why any one needs one in Canada, except perhaps for hunters.

Are you thinking about not travelling to the USA ? I am.

Jim b

Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 10:06 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,025,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Newtown CT, kids and teachers shot dead by a kid with his Mother's guns. How ironic that she was killed by a gun that SHE bought.

How can they change this idiotic situation ?

Is there any hope for that country ?

I spent 30 years in the CF, in the military Police, so I was armed every day that I was on duty. BUT I have no need for a gun at home, and I can't see why any one needs one in Canada, except perhaps for hunters.

Jim b

Toronto.
Paranoid much?

Well in Canada you could just get beheaded with a knife
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...anscanada.html

Or shot in Montreal
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...boulevard.html

Or encounter a serial killer or two
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Bernardo
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-Paris.html

Are you thinking about not travelling to Canada? I am.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:43 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,734,474 times
The US undoubtedly has a higher violent crime rate than Canada and probably the entire western world, however, your conclusion the country is just sick and not worth going to goes too far. These random mass killings as unfortunate as they are are more sporadic than being a real threat to everyone's life.

I don't like the gun culture or think people should carry guns, but if it is part of the American constitution, it has its reasons and is part of the culture. We can respect it and don't be part of it. The US as a country is still an attractive place for people to do business in, to study in and to travel to.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:55 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,948,491 times
Snobby Canadians who think our nation is sick can just stay home. Don't come to the U.S.
You may catch our sickness or worse you may get shot with an evil gun.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:13 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,531,619 times
Or I could just live here in Canada and still end up having some jerk named Kimveer Gill come into my school with an automatic rifle and shoot at my friends. Like happened in 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawson_College_shooting

Old 12-16-2012, 11:15 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
And stay out.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:22 AM

218 posts, read 510,198 times
The main point for citizens to be able to carry guns is to be able keep its own government in check when it's hijacked by rogue interests like corporatists and international banksters, exactly what's happening in the USA now. Once citizens disarmed government can bend over citizens as they please.

That's why hired elites push for banning guns (Bloomberg, Obama etc.) and Americans are buying guns and ammo in record numbers now. Gangs and sick people will always have access to guns, Mexico is an example. The only difference from banning guns will be: 1) you won't have right to protect yourself and your home from armed criminals and psychos (of course, criminals will always have guns); 2) government, if hijacked and corrupt, won't have any fear of its citizens and go absolute ape **** realizing its power.

So guns for citizens is a part of checks and balances systems to ensure tyranny won't easily happen. That's VERY important. In one of his books Solzhenitsyn expressed great regret people couldn't resist government operatives when they were coming for citizens at night, otherwise things could've been very different for that country.

By the way, Connecticut is one of the 4 states with the toughest gun laws in the US and that school was in a gun free zone, so obviously fewer people could try to stop the massacre there. If it was happening in Texas, it could have been less victims. On the other hand, it probably could not happen in Texas at all.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:33 AM

181 posts, read 499,705 times
So instead of having sympathy you turn this into an excuse to not travel to the United States?

I'm so sick of Canadian having a superior attitude to the States. If you think Canada is better, great, stay out.

It's obvious the US has a gun control problem, but these horrific accidents happen across the world.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:39 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,460,564 times
The gun control laws worked!

The shooter attempted to buy a gun and was refused.

His Mother however was not a responsible gun owner in that evidently she did not have her legally purchased weapons under lock without his knowledge of how to unlock them.

BTW....heroin, cocaine, and meth is illegal in the USA and Canada, but that doesn't seem to prevent people who want it from getting their hands on it.

Posted using Tapatalk 2 via my RAZR

Old 12-16-2012, 11:55 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
The main point for citizens to be able to carry guns is to be able keep its own government in check when it's hijacked by rogue interests like corporatists and international banksters, exactly what's happening in the USA now. Once citizens disarmed government can bend over citizens as they please.

That's why hired elites push for banning guns (Bloomberg, Obama etc.) and Americans are buying guns and ammo in record numbers now. Gangs and sick people will always have access to guns, Mexico is an example. The only difference from banning guns will be: 1) you won't have right to protect yourself and your home from armed criminals and psychos (of course, criminals will always have guns); 2) government, if hijacked and corrupt, won't have any fear of its citizens and go absolute ape **** realizing its power.

So guns for citizens is a part of checks and balances systems to ensure tyranny won't easily happen. That's VERY important. In one of his books Solzhenitsyn expressed great regret people couldn't resist government operatives when they were coming for citizens at night, otherwise things could've been very different for that country.

By the way, Connecticut is one of the 4 states with the toughest gun laws in the US and that school was in a gun free zone, so obviously fewer people could try to stop the massacre there. If it was happening in Texas, it could have been less victims. On the other hand, it probably could not happen in Texas at all.

So that's why you can CARRY guns? Get real; that chit you describe of rogue interests like corporatists and international banksters has been going on down there for decades and to date all you gun carriers have done is shoot the hell out of each other! "A well regulated militia" has nothing whatsoever to do with you carrying your pistol in your pants to your kids soccar practice.

Now foolishness like that is what gives rise to the foolish post made by the O/P.

Does the U.S. have a problem? YES. Do other nations, including Canada have the very same problem to varying degrees? YES.

We've had our share of crazies taking up a weapon and killing mulitple innocents and the O/P must remain mindful of the nutbar that walked into our parliament buildings with a Stirling/Patchet sub-machine gun and held the Sgt-at-arms hostage in the House while sitting on the speakers throne. He was military and thankfully the Sgt-At-Arms was retired military so he knew what he was dealing with.

Montreal Polytechnique shootings forgotten by some on here? We're less than a tenth the population of the U.S. but I warrant our gun nuts will increase regardless.

People like the O/P would do well to remember we are not isolated when it comes to insanity finding it's worst expression method.

Oh, and by the by, I'm a Canadian writing this while wintering in my home in Forida. I feel safer here than walking anywhere in Brampton/Bramalea area of Toronto and I ain't leaving until the snow is gone from up there. Okie dokie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto