U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 05:40 PM

127 posts, read 176,945 times

Advertisements

Here is a youtube video of the former Postal Station K in mid-town Toronto......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr1srm6UgsE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 07:27 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,967,856 times
Personally not a fan of condos... but people got to live somewhere. They certainly need to get more creative wth the designs though because it can get really ugly looking and destroys the character a city has.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:52 PM

12,894 posts, read 11,546,701 times
In most cases a lot of the condo's that have gone up have been over parking lots or already nasty looking buildings to begin with... In a skyline pic highrise buildings/scrapers will always rule but on the streets of Old Toronto the flesh and bones of Toronto are still there and that is the most important thing.

Aside from many of the condo's not being architecturally inspiring I often think people lose sight of the most important thing and that is that condo's are adding the human dynamic to a growing and urban place. These people go out to restaurants/bars/theatres and support local business in the Dt core and surrounding areas.. Its the concentration of human capital and exchanging of ideas and living close to where you work that is the most important element of the condo boom and not the condo's themselves.

Last edited by fusion2; 12-07-2015 at 08:10 PM..

Old 12-07-2015, 10:18 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,588,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
In most cases a lot of the condo's that have gone up have been over parking lots or already nasty looking buildings to begin with... In a skyline pic highrise buildings/scrapers will always rule but on the streets of Old Toronto the flesh and bones of Toronto are still there and that is the most important thing.

Aside from many of the condo's not being architecturally inspiring I often think people lose sight of the most important thing and that is that condo's are adding the human dynamic to a growing and urban place. These people go out to restaurants/bars/theatres and support local business in the Dt core and surrounding areas.. Its the concentration of human capital and exchanging of ideas and living close to where you work that is the most important element of the condo boom and not the condo's themselves.
People needed to be educated. Why the hell do they think condos are built at the expense of historic buildings? That's BS.

People need to live somewhere but the city can't and should not provide a single family home with a yard for everyone. Plus, condo living is still about 50% in Toronto, taking probably 10% of residential land.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
People needed to be educated. Why the hell do they think condos are built at the expense of historic buildings? That's BS.

People need to live somewhere but the city can't and should not provide a single family home with a yard for everyone. Plus, condo living is still about 50% in Toronto, taking probably 10% of residential land.
Well to be very honest the gem historical building we had in Toronto were either lost to fire or demolished long before the last boom.. Everything worth keeping has been kept and will be preserved. I'd much rather have the problem of growth than having large tracts of abandoned old architecture in urban decay.

I agree with you re SFH and to Toronto's credit - the lions share of development over the last decade is medium to high density infil... There are very few if any new SFH dev in Old Toronto and an ever decreasing number of that type in the GTA as a whole. The future is clear to me -as long as Toronto the GTA has 100K growth per year the only way this city/metro is going is further and further medium to higher density infil.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:26 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,967,856 times
I know they are needed, but it would be nice if they really placed more effort in making them look a little more attractive or interesting on the outside ex the one at bayview and Shepard has a nautical feel. It is at least eye catching.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I know they are needed, but it would be nice if they really placed more effort in making them look a little more attractive or interesting on the outside ex the one at bayview and Shepard has a nautical feel. It is at least eye catching.
Its getting better. Aura is attractive imo and 1 Bloor will be a notch above Aura.. Massey Tower, 88 Scott, Indx and Picasso are very nice and provide a contrast to a sea of glassy blue/green hues. This is not to mention the One or Mirvish/Gehry projects so things are on the up..

Last edited by fusion2; 12-08-2015 at 12:25 AM..

Old 12-08-2015, 12:06 PM

400 posts, read 316,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Its getting better. Aura is attractive imo and 1 Bloor will be a notch above Aura.. Massey Tower, 88 Scott, Indx and Picasso are very nice and provide a contrast to a sea of glassy blue/green hues. This is not to mention the One or Mirvish/Gehry projects so things are on the up..
While I agree with you that some of the condos are better, what hasn't gotten better is investment by the city - and I isnsist that it should be the city that does this and not private investors - in public spaces that are attractive enough to make people want to spend time in them. Such places are scattered all throughout most of the cities that people like to visit as tourists. That rock park in the middle of Yorkville is a successful example of what I'm referring to right here in the city.

Even spaces in front of those Condos should be better planned to produce a sort of stage effect that enhances the experiences of people who spend time downtown. The plaza in front of the Seagram building in New York City really works. That's what other cities do far far better than T.O. Now, it's not really in our culture to demand such things here, so I doubt it'll come to pass. But if someone at city hall (kristin Wong-Tam?) would push for better urbanistic standards, it would enhance the experience of the city tremendously.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:52 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,588,494 times
Funny people complain complaint about condos being everywhere.... Can I complain that 1-2 story houses are everywhere? What exactly makes lowrise houses so much better than condos? Or people simply think whatever we had in the past is the best and should never change? Do they pretend all the cookie cutter houses all around the city have historic value?

If everything I got a dime hearing people complaining about too many condos, I would be a millionaire by now. If you hate highrises, then get the hell out of Toronto and move to Barrie or Peterborough. You won't need to worry about condos.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
While I agree with you that some of the condos are better, what hasn't gotten better is investment by the city - and I isnsist that it should be the city that does this and not private investors - in public spaces that are attractive enough to make people want to spend time in them. Such places are scattered all throughout most of the cities that people like to visit as tourists. That rock park in the middle of Yorkville is a successful example of what I'm referring to right here in the city.

Even spaces in front of those Condos should be better planned to produce a sort of stage effect that enhances the experiences of people who spend time downtown. The plaza in front of the Seagram building in New York City really works. That's what other cities do far far better than T.O. Now, it's not really in our culture to demand such things here, so I doubt it'll come to pass. But if someone at city hall (kristin Wong-Tam?) would push for better urbanistic standards, it would enhance the experience of the city tremendously.
Can't argue with your points - i'd like to see more of what you're talking about. Toronto City Council is not very inspiring and hasn't been as long as I can remember. What about John Tory - he's been keeping a VERY low profile.. What the heck has he been doing to make this a better city exactly. Starting to seem like he's a bunch of hot air. Most of the things U/C in terms of transit and even the Pan Am games were already in place well before he became Mayor.

There are some civic improvements in the city but not enough... I see loads of lost opportunities to make this city more than what it is.. Other cities in our tier would kill to have the growth and development we have.

Last edited by fusion2; 12-08-2015 at 06:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or