U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 12:42 AM

2,585 posts, read 2,060,329 times

Advertisements

Lots of good advice here. Note that I grew up in Toronto, and attended the public schools there.

You might do well to investigate the Lawrence Park neighbourhood, which was not far from where I grew up. Nice big houses, with plenty of room for three cars (which you will not find in Cabbagetown), and less pricey than Rosedale or Forest Hill. The kids can attend Lawrence Park Collegiate or North Toronto Collegiate, both of which are fine schools, and each of which sends the majority of its graduates on to university. If you choose to take public transit to work, you'll find buses running to the subway on Bayview, Mount Pleasant, and Yonge.

Note that to get places in the downtown, most residents in that neighbourhood (and elsewhere) use public transit. In that way, Toronto is much like NYC: why put up with traffic and the outrageous cost of parking, when the subway gets you there faster and more cheaply? Unless you have a company-paid parking spot at your office on Bloor, or a company-supplied car and driver, you might find that the subway is faster and more economical.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 08:06 PM

15 posts, read 32,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Curious as to what you mean by the highlighted segment, and why.
Oh. The way it was presented to me was that some of the private schools tend to draw a lot of newcomers that are moving in due to corporate relocations, work, etc and because of that tend to have larger numbers of new students on a year in and year out basis.

Conversely, the public schools tend to have more kids who have grown up together in the same school district and may tend to be more stable in terms of student movement. We see that here as well as my daughter's high school is composed predominantly of kids that have been together since elementary or middle school with a handful of new kids moving in each year.

As a result, it was suggested that there may be more kids who will be new to the area in some of the private schools relative to the public.

Our plan is to spend some time visiting the schools and letting our kids see them as well. Ultimately, we would like them to choose the environment that they are most comfortable in. The rest will take care of itself.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Lots of good advice here. Note that I grew up in Toronto, and attended the public schools there.

You might do well to investigate the Lawrence Park neighbourhood, which was not far from where I grew up. Nice big houses, with plenty of room for three cars (which you will not find in Cabbagetown), and less pricey than Rosedale or Forest Hill. The kids can attend Lawrence Park Collegiate or North Toronto Collegiate, both of which are fine schools, and each of which sends the majority of its graduates on to university. If you choose to take public transit to work, you'll find buses running to the subway on Bayview, Mount Pleasant, and Yonge.

Note that to get places in the downtown, most residents in that neighbourhood (and elsewhere) use public transit. In that way, Toronto is much like NYC: why put up with traffic and the outrageous cost of parking, when the subway gets you there faster and more cheaply? Unless you have a company-paid parking spot at your office on Bloor, or a company-supplied car and driver, you might find that the subway is faster and more economical.
Good guidance. We have added Lawrence Park to our list to visit.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:05 AM

2,253 posts, read 3,070,647 times
Yeah, Lawrence Park is pretty much ideal for a wealthy "suburb in the city" feel.

Last edited by King of Kensington; 12-29-2015 at 12:28 PM..

Old 12-31-2015, 05:29 AM

24,336 posts, read 30,580,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtan View Post
Oh. The way it was presented to me was that some of the private schools tend to draw a lot of newcomers that are moving in due to corporate relocations, work, etc and because of that tend to have larger numbers of new students on a year in and year out basis.

Conversely, the public schools tend to have more kids who have grown up together in the same school district and may tend to be more stable in terms of student movement. We see that here as well as my daughter's high school is composed predominantly of kids that have been together since elementary or middle school with a handful of new kids moving in each year.

As a result, it was suggested that there may be more kids who will be new to the area in some of the private schools relative to the public.

Our plan is to spend some time visiting the schools and letting our kids see them as well. Ultimately, we would like them to choose the environment that they are most comfortable in. The rest will take care of itself.
OK, thanks. I think you are probably right.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:24 PM

Default Great Day of Touring

Happy New Year to all.

Decided to bring the family up on New Year's Day for a few days to tour the city, look at neighborhoods and houses, and visit some schools. Today was our first day out and about.

Given the fact that neither my wife nor my kids have ever been to Toronto (my wife has been with me to Vancouver on business many years ago), I have been anxious to see what they thought.

I am happy to say that the day went phenomenally. Both my wife and my kids really enjoyed the city and were very pleasantly surprised with the prospect of "life in the city" (as we have only lived in U.S. suburbs as a family).

Standouts included Lawrence Park, Lytton Park and Forest Hill houses and neighborhoods; Queen St West; The Distillary; and the various shops and restaurants up and down Yonge St.

Tomorrow, we will be catching a Raptors game and Monday we will be visiting some schools.

Fingers crossed, but so far, so good. Thanks to all for your insights and perspectives.

I very much appreciate it.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:02 PM

2,585 posts, read 2,060,329 times
Great to hear that you are enjoying your visit!

But ! I forgot Lytton Park. Some very nice places there too. I should know; that was my old neighbourhood when I was growing up.

Looking forward to hearing how you like the schools. One other high school in that part of Toronto that I forgot to mention, is Northern Secondary School. Like Lawrence Park CI and North Toronto CI, it is a high school; but it was more a vo-tech school than the academically-oriented LP or NT. Still, depending on your children's preferences, you may wish to add it to your list to visit.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:06 AM

33,675 posts, read 16,116,871 times
Sounds like your visit was spot on. I was originally from the Toronto area and our family of five moved to the Atlanta area in 1997. We have since moved to the Charleston SC, area.

Not sure the advice about private school being a better environment is really that relevant. Life in Toronto will be much more diverse than anything you have experienced in Atlanta. Kids are much more accepting of all kinds of differences. Given the areas you are looking, the public schools will be more than adequate.

Although we left Toronto so many years ago, it remains for me, one of the best cities. I love it. I think you and your family will have a great experience.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:16 AM

33,675 posts, read 16,116,871 times
I didn't bring car from USA to Canada but have brought two cars from Canada to the USA with little no issue at all. Shouldn't be a big deal.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:59 AM

24,336 posts, read 30,580,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Sounds like your visit was spot on. I was originally from the Toronto area and our family of five moved to the Atlanta area in 1997. We have since moved to the Charleston SC, area.

Not sure the advice about private school being a better environment is really that relevant. Life in Toronto will be much more diverse than anything you have experienced in Atlanta. Kids are much more accepting of all kinds of differences. Given the areas you are looking, the public schools will be more than adequate.

Although we left Toronto so many years ago, it remains for me, one of the best cities. I love it. I think you and your family will have a great experience.
I think you're right about the schools. If you are already going to shell out in order to live in a reasonably tony part of central Toronto, the public schools will be fine there as the public system overall in Toronto (and Ontario and Canada) is good. There isn't really a need to pay extra for private schooling in order to get your kids a good education in those conditions.

Neighbourhood and school demograpics are an important factor but generally speaking the public school system is not "broken" at all like it is in some other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto