U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 08:14 PM

15 posts, read 32,349 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

My family and I will be relocating to Toronto from Atlanta, GA this Spring. All part of a job move, my wife and kids are really looking forward to the "adventure".

Was looking for some perspectives around where to live and potential school choices.

As a bit context, I will be working on E. Bloor between Yonge and Bayview. We are a family of four (16 year old daughter and 12 year old son). Both kids are athletic (Lacrosse and Basketball), great students (daughter is interested in Ivy League and Stanford), and extracurricular clubs (DECA). Not really sure of affordability, but our budget is $2M to $4M Canadian dollars.

We are used to living in the suburbs here in the States, but have decided we would like to try living in the city. We would prefer a single family detached house if budget will allow (I've heard Toronto housing can be pretty expensive). Thinking four bedrooms+ with parking/garage for two to three cars. OK with small/zero lot as well as small/medium size lot. Whereas our kids are in public school currently, we are also interested in looking at private schools in Toronto.

Thanks to all for your perspectives in advance. We are really looking forward to joining the community.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 01:16 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,489,293 times
Well let's see. So you're working on Bloor Street East, somewhere between Yonge and the Don Valley Parkway. In that area, you have Rosedale, which is the old, very upscale neighbourhood of Toronto. Not sure what you can get for $4M, but not impossible. Very toney. You could walk to work. Some of the best private schools are in that area I think. Then to the south you have Cabbagetown, which is also an upscale neighbourhood, but kind of funky--very old houses, tend to be small, small lots, and some of the areas south and west are a bit sketchy and quite funky.

To the west along Bloor, you have the Annex, which would be a very good choice and shouldn't be a problem on that sort of budget, although getting a 2-car garage and 4 bedrooms might be a problem. Further west also along Bloor (there's a subway, remember), you have some areas where the houses are larger, quite nice areas some of them. You could get to work in about 20 minutes on the subway. Streets like Delaware Ave., Rusholme Rd. and Havelock St. have some very large houses.

To the east of your work, there are areas off the Danforth that have some nice renovated large houses. If you're interested in that area to the east, I can recommend a realtor.

Also remember it's very unlikely that you will need that many cars, living in the city. There are subways, streetcars and buses.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:31 AM

98 posts, read 112,985 times
There are plenty of upscale neighbourhoods in midtown Toronto that would suit your needs just fine. Houses and los will probably be much smaller than you're used to in Atlanta, though you did say you're looking to experience city life, so I'd imagine you're expecting that.

Parking for 2-3 vehicles might be a problem, but I doubt you'll find that you need that many vehicles anyway.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:29 AM

2,705 posts, read 4,048,858 times
I would also add Summerhill. If the parking thing is because you currently have 3 cars and don't want to sell all of them though, you might have better luck finding a house with enough parking in a garage/driveway and on-street in neighbourhoods a bit further out like Playter Estates, Dufferin Grove, Forest Hill, Chaplin Estates, Allenby, Lawrence Park or Bloor West Village. Or even further... like Willowdale which has a modern downtown area, or Kingsway, Glen Park or Ledbury Park which are more suburban.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:51 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,489,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I would also add Summerhill. If the parking thing is because you currently have 3 cars and don't want to sell all of them though, you might have better luck finding a house with enough parking in a garage/driveway and on-street in neighbourhoods a bit further out like Playter Estates, Dufferin Grove, Forest Hill, Chaplin Estates, Allenby, Lawrence Park or Bloor West Village. Or even further... like Willowdale which has a modern downtown area, or Kingsway, Glen Park or Ledbury Park which are more suburban.
Yes indeed. Dufferin Grove was an area I mentioned implicitly. Bloor West Village is full of young families although the houses tend to be small. And yes, you could even manage the Kingsway on that budget, and the houses and lots there are bigger.

By the way, you should look into the red tape of bringing cars here. Friends of ours who immigrated several years ago found it was easier to sell their cars and re-buy in Canada.

Old 12-25-2015, 07:52 PM

2,283 posts, read 1,677,948 times
I always recommend Davisville and Leaside...it's kind of a US expat enclave in town. It's got a bit of a Norman Rockwell vibe to it, very family-oriented and lots of sports, softball, tennis etc. The Bayview strip is a real cozy little area with bakeries an drestaurants and such.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:31 PM

This is very helpful.

Thanks for the heads up on the cars. After further investigation, it appears that the car import (and back) is a bit dicey. Will have to think through how I work through that.

Based upon all of your recommendations, I have since investigated different communities and have found Forest Hill, Yonge/Eglington, North York (eg. Bridle Path, Hoggs Hollow) seem to be very appealing.

Now I need to work schools since apparently the private school cut offs have either passed or are coming up soon.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:28 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,700,270 times
About private versus public schools in Toronto.

Unless you have 20 to 30 k a year to spend on each child's private schooling, per year......

Public schools are fine, given that you are looking at places that no working class family could afford to live in.......The schools in that residential area will be a lot better than in the places where the public housing projects are located. Forest Hill Public elementary raised about $450 per child, from fund raisers last year.........Compared to Parkdale elementary, where they raised about $11 per child.

You can obviously afford to buy in an area that most people can't afford to even look at, never mind buy there.

Lucky you.

Jim B.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:14 PM

Interesting perspective on the schools.

We feel extremely blessed to be in a position to have choices. It's part of what makes this relocation decision of value and benefit for our family.

Our kids are in public schools now and we have been very pleased with them. Perhaps our only complaint has been class size which is approaching 30+ in some instances.

The other benefit that was referenced to me around the private versus public option had to do with acculturation. The thinking is that there would likely be more "transients" or recent newcomers in some of the private schools relative to the public schools where many families and kids have lived and grown up in the same district. We have seen that here as well.

Either way, based upon feedback, it appears that our kids will be in a good situation which is our priority.

Thanks again all for the feedback and input. It is really helpful.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:47 PM

24,335 posts, read 30,574,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtan View Post
Interesting perspective on the schools.

We feel extremely blessed to be in a position to have choices. It's part of what makes this relocation decision of value and benefit for our family.

Our kids are in public schools now and we have been very pleased with them. Perhaps our only complaint has been class size which is approaching 30+ in some instances.

The other benefit that was referenced to me around the private versus public option had to do with acculturation. The thinking is that there would likely be more "transients" or recent newcomers in some of the private schools relative to the public schools where many families and kids have lived and grown up in the same district. We have seen that here as well.

Either way, based upon feedback, it appears that our kids will be in a good situation which is our priority.

Thanks again all for the feedback and input. It is really helpful.
Curious as to what you mean by the highlighted segment, and why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto