Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2016, 09:32 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times

Advertisements

Wow. I just heard on the news tonight the Goodwill closed like 16 locations in Ontario some of which are in Toronto without notice to employees. Feeling really bad for the staff working in these stores as this chairty typically hires people that are struggling to help them get back on their feet. On top of that they may not get their expected bi-weekly pay on Friday, can't get their records of employment to even try to start to try to apply for unemployment and are not getting any severance pay. Such as shame. I hope the province steps up to help these employees out. These minimum wage works are likely living pay cheque to pay cheque. Really sad. Wishing these guys my deepest sympathy. What a scary situation to be in. Crazy to think this stuff can happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 05:20 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,667 times
Yeah it seems like a complete mess and they're being hung out to dry.

"Wait 'til Monday." they say. How lovely.

I can't remember the name of the women in charge but she seems in over her head. Idiot.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:14 PM

Default Nuts ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post

I can't remember the name of the women in charge but she seems in over her head. Idiot.
I am trying not to jump the gun and make accusations as this is a charity ... but seriously this seems very insane. She must be clearly in over her head as this is a big deal. I work near one of these locations and pass buy it every day. It appears to have a lot of traffic. I always see people walking out with purchases and line ups when they have sales. The donations pile is always full. This particular store appears to be well used in the surrounding community by all income levels in the area. I have heard there might be some corporations that have been trying to step in and help out. I am hoping this gets resolved as soon as possible for the staff at these stores.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:51 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,667 times
Hopefully. It's just one giant mess and I feel bad for the people who need to pay their bills. I would be furious.

Does anyone think for a second the people at the top aren't getting paid? What a debacle.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:54 AM

281 posts, read 327,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post

Keiko Nakamura. She previously screwed up TCHC. Lavish parties and cruises for her and her cronies while there were millions and millions of dollars of repairs that needed to be done to TCHC housing. She was forced to resign from there due to financial scandals. Why anyone would hire her is beyond me. It's obvious that she as done the same here. There needs to be an audit done. Goodwill has approximately 28 million in assets (property), got a $4 million grant from the province last year and doesn't pay for the product it sells.

It's terrible what has happened to the workers. I'll bet Keiko isn't missing a paycheque..

Old 01-24-2016, 06:11 PM

Default Crazy ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmbpmp View Post
Keiko Nakamura. She previously screwed up TCHC. Lavish parties and cruises for her and her cronies while there were millions and millions of dollars of repairs that needed to be done to TCHC housing. She was forced to resign from there due to financial scandals. Why anyone would hire her is beyond me. It's obvious that she as done the same here. There needs to be an audit done. Goodwill has approximately 28 million in assets (property), got a $4 million grant from the province last year and doesn't pay for the product it sells.

It's terrible what has happened to the workers. I'll bet Keiko isn't missing a paycheque..
It seems very likely it is the person at the top's miss management that has caused the situation. I have worked on a lot of teams and the only reason that all of the team members who are all very well experiences quit is likely because of a leaders gross mismanagement or ongoing failure to listen to their team members. I did notice some other organizations stepping in to help the workers out ex. the Good Harvest Food Bank. It is shame that this happened.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:48 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,256 times
Your subject line makes it sound like they are closing all Ontario locations which is absolutely not the case.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:41 PM

Default 16....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Your subject line makes it sound like they are closing all Ontario locations which is absolutely not the case.
I am guessing you are seeing it as only 16. 16 locations is a big deal for the people who were emplyed there and the communities they severed who experienced this loss without notice or appropriate measures in place it is a big deal.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:00 PM

281 posts, read 327,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
It was only the ones run by Keiko Nakamura.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:45 PM

Default Really????

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmbpmp View Post
It was only the ones run by Keiko Nakamura.
What the heck!!! How is anyone allowed to mess up this much without consequences. That is insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto