Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 08:09 AM

2 posts, read 1,088 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I'm looking to move out from my parents house and have found a condo I really like but in Clarkson village. Just off southdown. My parents are against it saying the area is not great. So I need advice!! I can't really afford much more. And this one has 2 bedrooms so I could possibly get a roommate. Versus 1 bedrooms that are same price or more. Please help me decide? Is Clarkson really that bad? I would be walking distance to the go station which is great to commute.
All advice welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 10:11 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,536 times
We recently looked into some condos and townhome units in that area. I'll give you my opinion, coming from the perspective of someone looking for a more urbanized area but was temporarily (in a fit of delusion) willing to consider the 'burbs.

Real estate agents are quick to dub this an up-and-coming area, maybe the next Port Credit. But there are several factors working against it:

- the huge swath of industrial/refinery areas on the lower part of Southdown Rd, blocking decent waterfront access and making the area feel gritty and dirty.
- lack of walkability for shopping/food/amenities (strip malls and a fine establishment called "Scooter's Roller Palace" do not count)
- the area still has a "hardness" about it, an undercurrent of seediness. It does not show well.
- there is a huge wasteland between Port Credit and Clarkson (yes, there are multi-million dollar homes there, but if you walked along Lakeshore from PC to CV, it is not a vibrant stroll, by any stretch).
- still very car dependant

On the flip side, this is the type of area you can buy in cheaper and watch it gentrify over the next decade or so. If that happens. One bonus is the Clarkson Go offers a direct line during rush hour that skips a few stops, and the Lakeshore trains run later and are more convenient than some of the other lines, like Milton/Streetsville, etc.

We took a pass on it, preferring to stay in Toronto proper. But it really is a personal choice and preference. Focus on your lifestyle needs and ask yourself if this area meets them, or meets most and might pick up the others in the near-future.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:38 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Bad in comparison to where? The highlight of my Sunday evening was hearing someone on the news who was referring to increased crime in the peel regions Miss./Brampt say thery were moving to Scarborough as they were concerned about their safety living in miss/bramp area lol. Go Scarborough!!!! Thanks for the PR lady ! I am personally not a fan of the 905s in general, but I guess the worry about that area is relative to where you grew up. The GTA is not exactly a war zone. If you are not involved in drugs/ crime/ shady activities not too likely you should have a lot of trouble anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto