Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 09:43 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
Just trying to no be negative. I agree this city is pretty rigid and I am not rigid at all. My whole life I tried to rep this place. It's just in recent years I recognize it's not for me. Cant love some place that doesn't live you back. Especially when other places give you everything off the bat. Make you realize you were wrong all along. That being said. I can't be negative about this place since I don't want to be that person. There's always a silver lining even in the darkest of circumstances.
This is about one of the most sensible things you've posted. Sometimes a place just doesn't mesh with a person. Sometimes your experiences, even though not the fault of a city, you just can't get over because of the negative baggage carried by a few negative things. Its sort of like guilt by association. The city is guilty due to association of some bad experiences on a personal level in it.

I bet in all the 'exciting' places people visit - if they lived in those places but had some bad experiences they would also find the excitement loses its lustre fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarx_121 View Post
Have to agree with the point about owning a dog and taking it for a walk downtown. When I was looking after a lab/sheppard, I usd to go for walks at the park next to the St Lawrnce Church east East of King/Yonge downtown - I used to get approached regualrly which was such a surprise. Anyhow I did end up talking for hours (ok 2 ) to another dog owner who shared his family history with me. Anyway I definately have to agree that owning a dog is probably crucial if one wants to create new friendships. Going to clubs / bars is pretty much useless and boring and I have done plenty of that.

I myself am contemplating whether to return to Toronto at all. I mean it is a decent safe city, but the whole creating meaningful friendships is a huge factor for me. Obviously it is just so much easier to either be born there, or move there to study.
I think you have to be realistic and look at where the information is coming from. I hate to say it but I find generally the people complaining about lack of social friendliness in this city come from those who are young and bright eyed thinking the grass is greener somewhere else, those who are shy and have a hard time adjusting or those who have had personal challenges and make the city guilty by assocation. It defies credulity that there is some huge barrier to human interaction in a large city like Toronto with people of wide and varied backgrounds.

If your goal is honestly to create meaningful friendships - I don't think you will have a hard time. Owning a dog, joining a cooking class or a club/social network with like minded individuals. If finding a meaningful friendship means randomly talking to strangers that really isn't how most people probably anywhere find a meaningful friend - its called randomly talking to a stranger.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:55 PM

Here are some interesting posts

//www.city-data.com/forum/9616685-post11.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/17648190-post42.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/9616469-post75.html

Somehow in 7 years Toronto, its social 'norms' and people went from warm and engaging, sexy to cold, reserved, aloof... Like this is why i'm saying people need to look at the source of where these comments are coming from.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-24-2016 at 10:04 PM..

Old 05-24-2016, 10:07 PM

800 posts, read 730,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
This is about one of the most sensible things you've posted. Sometimes a place just doesn't mesh with a person. Sometimes your experiences, even though not the fault of a city, you just can't get over because of the negative baggage carried by a few negative things. Its sort of like guilt by association. The city is guilty due to association of some bad experiences on a personal level in it.

I bet in all the 'exciting' places people visit - if they lived in those places but had some bad experiences they would also find the excitement loses its lustre fast.
More sensible things huh? You can't escape your snobbish posting even when trying. Haha. O well.

BTW everything I think I say in sensible. Just like everything I find you post is passive aggressive.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I think you have to be realistic and look at where the information is coming from. I hate to say it but I find generally the people complaining about lack of social friendliness in this city come from those who are young and bright eyed thinking the grass is greener somewhere else, those who are shy and have a hard time adjusting or those who have had personal challenges and make the city guilty by assocation. It defies credulity that there is some huge barrier to human interaction in a large city like Toronto with people of wide and varied backgrounds.

If your goal is honestly to create meaningful friendships - I don't think you will have a hard time. Owning a dog, joining a cooking class or a club/social network with like minded individuals. If finding a meaningful friendship means randomly talking to strangers that really isn't how most people probably anywhere find a meaningful friend - its called randomly talking to a stranger.
I take it you've never been to southern usa?

Old 05-24-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I take it you've never been to southern usa?
Which part the deep south or just south? I've been to Virginia, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Kentucky, West Virginia and i'd say (Cincinatti in Ohio is bordering on southern) in the southern U.S. I enjoyed all of them! According to Laser99 - Atlanta one of the largest and fastest growing southern cities is far worse than Toronto... Need me to dig up his experiences in Atlanta for ya?

By the way - the friendliest people I've met are not in N.A or Europe for that matter - they are in South East Asia... Those are truly friendly people.. You have to be careful because there are a fair number who just want to suck your wallet dry but generally those people are the friendliest I've ever encountered.

Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't categorize the average Torontonian as warm on the streets. Most of the time people are busy and going places to be concerned with how warm they come off to some people who need that. However, I wouldn't mistaken that with not being able to develop meaningful relationships. I have many of those personally in this city so I got no complaints.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Which part the deep south or just south? I've been to Virginia, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Kentucky, West Virginia and i'd say (Cincinatti in Ohio is bordering on southern) in the southern U.S. I enjoyed all of them! According to Laser99 - Atlanta one of the largest and fastest growing southern cities is far worse than Toronto... Need me to dig up his experiences in Atlanta for ya?
Nope. Don't need it. Just random strangers Always seem to befriend me there. Now meaningful or not is a different story

I wonder how many Canadians move to America vs how many Americans move to canada. Hmmm.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Nope. Don't need it. Just random strangers Always seem to befriend me there. Now meaningful or not is a different story
Well I dunno - if conversing with random strangers is really important ok.. I mean Toronto is the business capital of Canada and the largest by far. There are really few cities in the U.S that can compare.. I'm not going to compare my experiences in Richmond Virginia - a small southern city of 1.2 million in its metro to Toronto with over 6.5 million. Toronto is just filled with a whole lot more busy bodies on a mission. Its the nature of the city. Same thing with Las Vegas - its a PARTY city - of course people are going to be more engaging - they're on vacation and half baked lol.. Not many people go to Vegas to make a splash in the world of Finance. Be real.

Would it surprise me that the average person in Nashville is more engaging than Toronto - NOOOOOOO lol... its a small city and its also a good little party town but its not an Alpha class global city like Toronto is either..

There are 4 U.S cities that are Alpha class global cities in the U.S - NYC, Chicago, L.A and S.F... That is it.. That means in Canamerica there are only 5 alpha class global cities and yes - Toronto is one of them.. You can't compare an alpha class city to some smaller party town or less internationally connected, less business oriented city. This isn't to say you can't make friends in Alpha class cities - but they are big and busy cities for a reason - people don't have time to worry about your feelings on the street because they aren't warm or engaging enough for you.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Well I dunno - if conversing with random strangers is really important ok.. I mean Toronto is the business capital of Canada and the largest by far. There are really few cities in the U.S that can compare.. I'm not going to compare my experiences in Richmond Virginia - a small southern city of 1.2 million in its metro to Toronto with over 6.5 million. Toronto is just filled with a whole lot more busy bodies on a mission. Its the nature of the city. Same thing with Las Vegas - its a PARTY city - of course people are going to be more engaging - they're on vacation and half baked lol.. Not many people go to Vegas to make a splash in the world of Finance. Be real.
Tell that to entertainers and djs who make 500 k a show every weekend. I agree not many Boring 9 to 5 jobs there that are rampant in toronto. But if you are into financing that's under the table. You can easily pull in 6 figures a night. It's a different type of finance though. Lol. Plus las vegas probably has way more tourism than toronto will ever have.

Your an idiot if you think there is no money in Vegas. Maybe not the finance sector. But what about entertainment? Probably crushes all of canada 10 times over.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:47 PM

Checked some stats. Canada has about 17 million visitors a year as a whole. Las vegas has 42 million. If you are implying there is no money there you are wrong. Finance sector only probably not. Though I'm sure those wall street guys spend tens of millions there if not more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto