Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 12:47 PM

20 posts, read 29,238 times

Advertisements

So I've had the dream to move to Toronto for a long time for several reasons. I'm been looking online on the immigration website so somethings are still somewhat unclear to me so if anyone could help that would be great. I have a degree in computer science and work as a software engineer (but I can do basically any job with the computer degree in the tech field so it's not a big deal if I have to do something else in Canada instead) which I hear will make the process easier since that degree is more transferable then others. I also have a good deal of money saved up so I wouldn't be broke when immigrating.

I'm just a little confused on the process, I've heard it could take years to be able to get a Canadian citizenship, but would I be able to move and work in Toronto with a visa while applying for the citizenship, or do I need the citizenship in hand before I even cross the border? Also what about work experience, I've read online some people say 5 years of work experience while other's say 1 is the minimum. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 10:04 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,786,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeeps View Post
So I've had the dream to move to Toronto for a long time for several reasons. I'm been looking online on the immigration website so somethings are still somewhat unclear to me so if anyone could help that would be great. I have a degree in computer science and work as a software engineer (but I can do basically any job with the computer degree in the tech field so it's not a big deal if I have to do something else in Canada instead) which I hear will make the process easier since that degree is more transferable then others. I also have a good deal of money saved up so I wouldn't be broke when immigrating.

I'm just a little confused on the process, I've heard it could take years to be able to get a Canadian citizenship, but would I be able to move and work in Toronto with a visa while applying for the citizenship, or do I need the citizenship in hand before I even cross the border? Also what about work experience, I've read online some people say 5 years of work experience while other's say 1 is the minimum. Thanks in advance.
Did you try calling immigration Canada?

Old 05-21-2016, 11:17 AM

174 posts, read 212,928 times
It's much easier if you're married to a Canadian.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:13 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,427,962 times
Apply for Permanent Resident status which allows you to live and work in Canada, immigrate with your approval documents in hand, apply for citizenship after 4 years.

My immigration or citizenship application | Government of Canada

Current processing times:
Skilled Workers (Federal) 6 month(s)
Self-employed persons (Federal) 99 month(s)
Investor (Federal) 94 month(s)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...imes/index.asp

Find out if you are eligible to apply:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp

Last edited by katzpaw; 05-21-2016 at 02:24 PM..

Old 07-15-2016, 05:28 PM

20 posts, read 29,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Apply for Permanent Resident status which allows you to live and work in Canada, immigrate with your approval documents in hand, apply for citizenship after 4 years.

My immigration or citizenship application | Government of Canada

Current processing times:
Skilled Workers (Federal) 6 month(s)
Self-employed persons (Federal) 99 month(s)
Investor (Federal) 94 month(s)

Check application processing times

Find out if you are eligible to apply:

Do you want to come to Canada, or extend your stay?
Coming back to this post after a couple months, thanks for the info.

Is it likely for a tech company to sponsor me? I've heard that makes immigrating slightly easier but I'm unsure if Toronto is only looking for local talent. I was also talking to a friend about this, and she mentioned that perhaps I should try to do my Master's at a Toronto university as an international student in order to get my foot in the door that way.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:21 AM

287 posts, read 305,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeeps View Post
Coming back to this post after a couple months, thanks for the info.

Is it likely for a tech company to sponsor me? I've heard that makes immigrating slightly easier but I'm unsure if Toronto is only looking for local talent. I was also talking to a friend about this, and she mentioned that perhaps I should try to do my Master's at a Toronto university as an international student in order to get my foot in the door that way.

There is no need for any company to sponsor you, if you can get a job offer you can come and work under temp work permit , then do the application yourself - if you already have a job in Canada when you apply, you will score pretty high in the system, much higher than the UT master student without a job. Just go to cic website and search for "express entry"

But yes , it is pretty tough to land a job as a foreigner unless through internal transfer. Masters degree is an alternative since you get a 3 year work permit when you graduate, issued by the government without any company sponsorship, and it would be much easier to find employer when you don't need them to get work permit for you

Old 07-17-2016, 06:36 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,602,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moveagain View Post
There is no need for any company to sponsor you, if you can get a job offer you can come and work under temp work permit , then do the application yourself - if you already have a job in Canada when you apply, you will score pretty high in the system, much higher than the UT master student without a job. Just go to cic website and search for "express entry"

But yes , it is pretty tough to land a job as a foreigner unless through internal transfer. Masters degree is an alternative since you get a 3 year work permit when you graduate, issued by the government without any company sponsorship, and it would be much easier to find employer when you don't need them to get work permit for you
I applied for the express entry thinking I should do that before I secured a job. Of course, I have not been approved. When I secure a job, can I go back to edit my profile and re-apply?

Old 07-17-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I applied for the express entry thinking I should do that before I secured a job. Of course, I have not been approved. When I secure a job, can I go back to edit my profile and re-apply?
You don't have to have a job to apply, but you need to have a passing score in order to be invited to apply - but if you have secured a job, it will bring your score up by a lot- if you have applied, I am assuming you already got the required score, so you should get approval within 6 months of submission (from those who applied that I know in person )

Old 07-17-2016, 05:34 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,602,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moveagain View Post
You don't have to have a job to apply, but you need to have a passing score in order to be invited to apply - but if you have secured a job, it will bring your score up by a lot- if you have applied, I am assuming you already got the required score, so you should get approval within 6 months of submission (from those who applied that I know in person )
No, I was not applicable because I didn't take the IELTS and don't have a job. I wanted to apply for a work permit, but when I created my account for the CIC, it led me to take the express entry. I wasn't applicable for that.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
No, I was not applicable because I didn't take the IELTS and don't have a job. I wanted to apply for a work permit, but when I created my account for the CIC, it led me to take the express entry. I wasn't applicable for that.

Ok, I guess in that case you were not invited to apply, otherwise you would have got a score of 480 something that you would know about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto