Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2016, 07:52 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times

Advertisements

Is it me or I live in the only crazy city where as I person who owns a property I am not allowed to cut down trees that are literally placing the safety of human beings at risk. Every time it is windy, lightening or freezing rain the next time I go to my backyard I got all kinds of chunks of trees (literally 20-50 feet long smashing up my property and if I start cutting the city wants to charge me up to $100 000 fine per tree. It cost up to $500 per tree to get someone in from the city to even get a no I can not cut the tree down. Today was windy I come home and again I literally have a 50 foot long part of a tree that ripped off an over 100 foot tall tree at the fell across the back of my yard that is hanging on a rogers line just waiting to smash in my bloody fence, shed and neighbour's shed. Come on already what the heck is with the red tape over this topic. I have a chain saw and I own the land. Why should I incur $1000s of dollars to save trees that are literally placing my family and neighbour's lives at risk. If the city needs more trees plan them on city property. My advice to anyone buying a property trees look pretty, but in Toronto they have more right's to your property then you do. Avoid buying homes with huge older trees on them because it will cost you. I am even more argy because what if by kid was out their playing.

On another note anyone looking to buy a few tones of wood?

P.S. I am too mad to care about totally messing up the thread title!!! So don't bother pointing it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 11:45 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Toronto is proud of its trees. It always has been.

That being said, whose tree is it? Tricky question, as many front-yard trees actually belong to the City. Since all roads, except a few, have a 66' road allowance, what you think of as "your" tree may actually belong to the City. Count back 33' from the center of the road--if your tree is in that 33', then it is the City's. Same for your neighbours. If the tree in question belongs to the City, call them and complain. They will cut it back, at no charge to you.

If the tree in question is unquestionably on private property, then your beef is with the landowner, not the City.

If by some reasoning (and I wouldn't doubt that the City could come up with some crazy reasoning), the tree is on private property but the City passed a bylaw stating that it cannot be cut down, then you need a lawyer. He or she can make an application in court asking that the tree in question be cut down, as it presents a safety hazard to surrounding properties and people. If the application is granted, the tree can be cut down, regardless of what the City says.

No need to sit back and take it. Get the law working for you.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:11 AM

By the time I get this sorted out the trees will have alreay killed off my family and crushed everything on the lot. The tree is on my property, but due to the size of the tree it can't be cut without an inspection which I was told cost $500 a tree. These trees are over 100 feet tall. I can't wait until Rogers gets here tomorrow. There is 50 around feet of tree 1-2 meters wide hanging on their lines. The tree looked health to me on Saturday morning as I check them regularly as I am always scared that pieces are going to fall. I bought a house with a big yard and now I can't even feel comfortable being out there. What a pain in the ass!!! I have to start bugging my mp about this. It is absolutly dumb. They want me to keep the stupid trees then they should foot the bill to maintain their safely or let me and my chain saw get to work. Never again will I buy a property with trees on in this city!!!

Anyone have any suggestions on best places to contact. Screw the city .... I am going to cut as much of those trees down as I can even if it is till the point that is just a trunk with a few twigs sticking out. I cant wait around until someone gets hurt or killed because of this nonsense.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:38 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Sorry KLM - don't mean to be dismissive of your tree issues but stuff like this just makes me so happy to live in an Apartment. No muss no fuss living!

Old 06-16-2016, 02:27 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
Or do as we did.. look for a house with NO trees on the property, at all. Problem solved.

And we don't have to worry about tree roots attacking our sewer drain pipes, either.

Jim b.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:18 PM

Default To late ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Or do as we did.. look for a house with NO trees on the property, at all. Problem solved.

And we don't have to worry about tree roots attacking our sewer drain pipes, either.

Jim b.

Too late. My next home will be a casket ! I promise my husband I would not move again and we would gradually make this gut job in to a mini palace lol (I am so full of it.... my plans were totally out ot lunch ... in other words my in door swiming pool does not look like it is being constructed any time soon lol ... I think out of this world big !). Building this house was really not the smartest move on my part ... but I am in it too deep to switch plans now.

This morning these 3 men come to my door saying they were here to cut the tree and my neighbour was paying for it ! Apparently neighbour called them. I am totally scared I am going to get told off about it. I have no idea why he would not talk with us first. Now I am not sure if I should offer to pay for it .. or what? Totally strange. Though I did pay for the entire ~160 foot long privacy fence and never asked him to slipt the bill. Anyone want to suggest how to handle one. The tree did not fall on his property or touch anything on his property so I am not sure why he called someone vs talking to us ex hey you guys realize your tree fell over and is run across your entire backyard. This piece of tree is huge ex 50 feet long and around 2 feet wide at the widest part and took 3 people to do. I have a bad feeling I am getting hit with a killer bill for this situation. I am happy it was taken care of in one way, but pretty pissed he did not speak with us first because what it this ends up costing a lot more money then I could have paid? So I am going to do the most responsbile thing ... lol ... let my husband deal with it lol ! This house is starting to be a bloody money pit. The more I fix the more things break. I am starting to understand why people haunt their former homes when they die ( by the time you finally get it the way you want you about ready to die anyways ). If I end up dying while living in that house my ghost will be showing up in the backyard with a shovel trying to dig a hole to put in my swimming pool !

Old 06-16-2016, 08:34 PM

Anyone in a relationship with someone who speaks a different language will find this funny. This morning i told my husband to find out who was paying for the huge tree that fell to be cut before they started to work. My husband told me a name, but the way he said it, it sounded like the name of one of my neighbours. When we talked about it tonight I was telling him you better go talk to the neighbour about the cost and see if he is expecting us to pay for it or if he is going to try and call our insurance company to get them to pay for it. My husband looked confused and insisted that there was no need and did not understand why I thought we were going to get a bill. Eventually I realized he meant Bell (which sounds like my neighbours name) as in Bell Canada is paying for the tree to get cut down ! Holly cow ... No wonder we are always fighting !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto