Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 08:53 PM

400 posts, read 422,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shydude816 View Post
Im very sorry guys. this thread's purpose was to ask tips on how to approach social life in Toronto. I did not mean for it to escalate to an online debate.

So from my own conclusion, i guess the first thing i need to do is to brush up my first impression on people. Im the geeky nerd type who is socially awkward in an environment i know nothing about. but once i get warmed up to a person thats when my fun side show. I joke around a lot and is a pretty chill person.

I am quite relieved because its the same thing here in Philippines. Getting through the barrier is the hardest part for me. I gain a lot friends through introduction from friends.

Its always been a struggle for me to talk to strangers. So I rely on my old friends for introduction. Then from there i am pretty much an easy to talk to guy and can blend with any type of people.

Thanks Everyone. And yes I will post my feedback once I tried the meetup.com when i go to toronto on the 29th
In Toronto the social scene is kind of a 'wind on your face, not at your back' sort of thing. What I mean by that is that in some cities, people go out of their way to say hello, will invite you into their homes for an introductory meal, will lean over to you and strike up a conversation with a stranger in a restaurant whom they find interesting as if doing such a thing is no big deal.

In other cities, such overtly welcoming behaviour would be considered a little weird, impertinent and a little presumptuous; people want to take some time to assess what kind of a person you are before making even the smallest social commitment (like going for a coffee). Toronto is more the second kind of place. Doesn't mean it's impossible to form a large social circle, just that it takes initiative and a little tenacity for most average people. Don't expect it to just fall into your lap, is all that we mean. On the other hand, you might just get lucky....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 09:33 PM

16 posts, read 18,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystlady View Post
Hello shydude

I have signed up for Find your people - Meetup since 2006 and I have met 2 awesome good friends from there. The only thing is you have to be regular and very active in one of the groups so that people will likely to recognize you.

I recommended this group since you are a geek
Geekalicious ~ Toronto's Premier Geek Culture Social Club (Toronto, ON) - Meetup

Since you are a Filipino
GTA Fun Filipinos and Friends (Toronto, ON) - Meetup

Highly recommend if you want to get over your shyness around women. Join salsa
Toronto Salsa Practice

To pick a new hobby or course
Adult Learners

Good luck

Thank you so much for this bro. I will definitely try this out when i moved to toronto july 29. The salsa looks good hopefully i get rid of my shyness there haha1

Old 07-13-2016, 09:24 AM

295 posts, read 263,796 times
Start to get rid of your shyness and build confidence in Philippines, before you come here. South East Asia is perhaps the easiest place on Earth to socialize with women.

Also bear in mind that Toronto has relatively big Filipino community (concentrated around Bathurst / Wilson area).

Good luck in Canada!

Old 07-13-2016, 11:56 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default concentrated around Bathurst ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
Start to get rid of your shyness and build confidence in Philippines, before you come here. South East Asia is perhaps the easiest place on Earth to socialize with women.

Also bear in mind that Toronto has relatively big Filipino community (concentrated around Bathurst / Wilson area).

Good luck in Canada!
Concentrated around Bathurst .... I don't think so. There are so many Filipino in Toronto that this comment is a joke. He will have difficulty finding Filipino people in Toronto just about anywhere in the city.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:19 PM

I am not sure my comment is a joke. Why? I didn't say that Filipino could not be found in other areas, what I told was that they concentrated around Bathurst / Wilson. Have you been to that area? There are many Filipino businesses over there (restaurants, grocery stores, even a Filipino bar). I have many Filipino friends and that what they all told me - Bathurst / Wilson is a Filipino area.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:24 PM

Default Yup...

Quote:
I am not sure my comment is a joke. Why? I didn't say that Filipino could not be found in other areas, what I told was that they concentrated around Bathurst / Wilson. Have you been to that area? There are many Filipino businesses over there (restaurants, grocery stores, even a Filipino bar). I have many Filipino friends and that what they all told me - Bathurst / Wilson is a Filipino area.
There are similar pockets in many other parts of the city. I would also hint why the population of Filipinos increased over the last few years in that historically Jewish area of the city, but your Filipino friends can give you more in site in that topic if you are interested.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
There are similar pockets in many other parts of the city. I would also hint why the population of Filipinos increased over the last few years in that historically Jewish area of the city, but your Filipino friends can give you more in site in that topic if you are interested.
Yes, you are right - historically it is a Jewish area (being a Jewish myself I know it ) and many Filipino are working as caregivers to the aging Jewish population.

If you know other similar pockets in the city, maybe you can name a few.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:51 PM

Default Yup....

Quote:
Yes, you are right - historically it is a Jewish area (being a Jewish myself I know it ) and many Filipino are working as caregivers to the aging Jewish population.

If you know other similar pockets in the city, maybe you can name a few.
Exactly! A lot of Filipino are now living there because they are working as care givers or in health care in general.

I am seeing rises in areas like Bathurst and St. Clair as well. There are lots of Filipino people living in north and south Scarborough too, but in general I don't want to push the idea that he should try and focus on meeting only people in that community. Toronto is a multicultural city and a great place to meet people from all backgrounds.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:09 PM

800 posts, read 729,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Exactly! A lot of Filipino are now living there because they are working as care givers or in health care in general.

I am seeing rises in areas like Bathurst and St. Clair as well. There are lots of Filipino people living in north and south Scarborough too, but in general I don't want to push the idea that he should try and focus on meeting only people in that community. Toronto is a multicultural city and a great place to meet people from all backgrounds.
Theoretically it should be easy. And it is if you go to school and are raised here. But as an immigrant? Most immigrants hang out with other immigrants. I see it all the time. Torontonians will be nice but not inviting to their social circle. Like I said. He needs to work on being a sociable person not scared of rejection if he wants to hang out with others that are not also filipino immigrants. It will be tough. Visitors from asia have told me that is tougher to hang out with people here after they came from places like Oregon. He said it was very easy to mingle with people there and it was nothing like here. His words not mine. I think shy dude will be fine. I just don't want to set him up for disappointment when he realizes that it is hard to make new friends especially native torontonians.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:53 AM

298 posts, read 276,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
In Toronto the social scene is kind of a 'wind on your face, not at your back' sort of thing. What I mean by that is that in some cities, people go out of their way to say hello, will invite you into their homes for an introductory meal, will lean over to you and strike up a conversation with a stranger in a restaurant whom they find interesting as if doing such a thing is no big deal.

In other cities, such overtly welcoming behaviour would be considered a little weird, impertinent and a little presumptuous; people want to take some time to assess what kind of a person you are before making even the smallest social commitment (like going for a coffee). Toronto is more the second kind of place. Doesn't mean it's impossible to form a large social circle, just that it takes initiative and a little tenacity for most average people. Don't expect it to just fall into your lap, is all that we mean. On the other hand, you might just get lucky....

This is exactly what toronto is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto