Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 08:24 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,845 times

Advertisements

I am not sure if many people are aware of this. I actually just realized this 15 minutes ago because I was actually at the Pride Parade. I am really okay and respect political activism, but it I think certain groups are crossing the line and should be called out on their own bad behaviour.

Apparently Black Lives Matter Toronto who were actually invited to take part in the Pride Parade made the extremely selfish and disrespectful choice to disrupt the parade for its own agenda and to refuse to allow the parade to carry on delaying the parade while it was already under way for around 30 minutes.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...-on-pause.html

When political activists pull selfish stunts like this it makes people that are generally pretty liberal, open minded and willing to listen to the views of these groups get turned off and hugely decreases their credibility. I 100% agree that black lives matter, but not more or less then anyone else life. Congratulations for pulling a "Kanye" on this public event for your own selfish purposes. There is a right time and place for everything. Pulling disrespectful stunts like this creates extremely negative PR for this organization and personally shows that the leaders of this organization lack the respect to know that they were 100% out of line. Utterly disappointed... shame on your Black Lives Matter Toronto! I think you owe the Pride parade organizers an apology. If you can't respect other people, they your message becomes extremely basis and you in turn become the bad guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 09:49 PM

287 posts, read 306,533 times
Anything to be said about it would easily be considered politically incorrect so I just wouldn't bother...

Old 07-04-2016, 09:11 AM

I am glad to know that I am not the only person that feels Black Lives Matter Toronto was out of line.

Black Lives Matter Toronto defends move that delayed Pride parade - Toronto - CBC News

Regarding police correctness, nothing I am saying is politically incorrect. Not calling out bad behaviour of any organization due to race, culture, gender or religion of items members would suggest that I think less of that group ex I would not expect them to know better.

Any organization delusional enough to want less police presence at a public event in a major city because it makes them feel uncomfortable needs to get a reality check. This is when radical turns ridiculous and how a handful of people can start to make a mockery of what was initially a very important and valid cause.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:36 PM

5,896 posts, read 6,097,533 times
I guess I don't see what BLM is trying to achieve by excluding uniformed police officers. They say police in civilian clothes are ok, but police in uniform are a reminder of how oppression of LGBT communities by police. To me it's the opposite, this is the police saying - "yes, we're police, and we're here because we support you, because the police is with you now (unlike in the past)".

Old 07-07-2016, 05:55 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I guess I don't see what BLM is trying to achieve by excluding uniformed police officers. They say police in civilian clothes are ok, but police in uniform are a reminder of how oppression of LGBT communities by police. To me it's the opposite, this is the police saying - "yes, we're police, and we're here because we support you, because the police is with you now (unlike in the past)".
Agreed and when Saunders apologized for the Bathhouse raids in the past some complained it was too late this and that. I mean it was a positive development and yet people still find a reason to live in the past.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:37 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Black lives matter Toronto? Jesus christ must we copy everything Americans do?

Old 07-07-2016, 10:41 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Well there are 400K blacks in the GTA so its the largest black population in the country. Plus, the TPS hasn't had stellar relations with the black community ie carding, questionable use of force at times resulting in death. I can understand the activism and i'm happy for it. I just don't know if BLM and their leadership is the best example of that activism. I'd take it rather than leave it tbh.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:07 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Only the "progressive" stuff

Old 07-08-2016, 10:23 AM

Default Formal apologies ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Agreed and when Saunders apologized for the Bathhouse raids in the past some complained it was too late this and that. I mean it was a positive development and yet people still find a reason to live in the past.
I think formal apologies 100% no change what happened, but are important. It can help people that were wrong get some closure and helps bring formal recognition that what happened was wrong. Far too often do victims get blamed ( or you are exaggerating... they had it coming... why can't they just get over it). People are often too quick to brush something under the rug when they don't understand the impact the situation has on a person and a community.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:09 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well there are 400K blacks in the GTA so its the largest black population in the country. Plus, the TPS hasn't had stellar relations with the black community ie carding, questionable use of force at times resulting in death. I can understand the activism and i'm happy for it. I just don't know if BLM and their leadership is the best example of that activism. I'd take it rather than leave it tbh.
OK, first, we should ask is there any evidence that more black lives are lost due to police shooting (mistakenly) versus other ethnicity?

I heard about some cases, but it happens to other groups too, including white people I think. If BLM has a reason to exist in Canada, they first need to prove they are being treated unfairly vis-à-vis other people. Sammy Yatim looks very white too me for example (he is from Syria).

So far at least I don't think black lives are irresponsibly taken by the police in Canada to the extent that we need a BLM group.

I thought the Occupy movement Canada was stupid enough. No, not everything needs to have a Canadian version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto