Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 12:05 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Toronto does not have one of the highest murder rates in Canada. That is BS.
In absolute numbers its probably the highest because it has the largest population by far.. That would be shocking how and why lol.. In terms of murder rates Its doubtful. Even if it did wouldn't be that egregious anyway because comparing a city like Toronto that has a metro of almost 7 million vs pretty much any other Canadian city is just not corollary - its too big and there isn't really a peer to compare to. That is often why It is compared to U.S cities or even other International cities..

Last edited by fusion2; 08-29-2016 at 12:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 12:14 AM

For those interested in a new project happening in Toronto..

PROJECT: UNDER GARDINER

Quote:
This continuous passageway from Strachan Avenue to Spadina Avenue is where creativity overlaps with everyday life. Under the Gardiner will soon become an open-ended story and constantly evolving space that is home to a variety of activity — from farmer's markets, children's gardens and community gatherings to performances and exhibition halls. Along this urban trail, visitors and commuters will encounter a series of 55 outdoor civic 'rooms' formed by the Gardiner's structure of columns and beams (also known as bents).
From what I know this has been either financed in part or completely by a private contributor.. Something Canadian cities haven't benefited from in as large a degree as U.S cities for example is private donors funding civic projects. I'm hoping this project is a catalyst for this type of thing. Lord knows there are enough wealthy people in Toronto who could fund some amazing civic projects, but they have not stepped up to the plate like their American counterparts.

Hey If you can't get rid of the Gardiner - do something with it in the upside down!

Last edited by fusion2; 08-29-2016 at 12:48 AM..

Old 08-31-2016, 09:17 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
For those interested in a new project happening in Toronto..

PROJECT: UNDER GARDINER

From what I know this has been either financed in part or completely by a private contributor.. Something Canadian cities haven't benefited from in as large a degree as U.S cities for example is private donors funding civic projects. I'm hoping this project is a catalyst for this type of thing. Lord knows there are enough wealthy people in Toronto who could fund some amazing civic projects, but they have not stepped up to the plate like their American counterparts.

Hey If you can't get rid of the Gardiner - do something with it in the upside down!
Too content in their peaceful, blissful, mostly upper-class Caucasian bubble in Rosedale.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Too content in their peaceful, blissful, mostly upper-class Caucasian bubble in Rosedale.
Sure and they should be called out on it.. They wouldn't live in that bubble if not for the blood, sweat and tears of the rest of the pions. I think this couple that donated the money for under gardiner are showing them how they have a responsibility to give back. A civic project the scale of some of the grand one's in major world cities (Millenium Park for example) is pocket change for the Thomson, Weston or Rogers families.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:27 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Sure and they should be called out on it.. They wouldn't live in that bubble if not for the blood, sweat and tears of the rest of the pions. I think this couple that donated the money for under gardiner are showing them how they have a responsibility to give back. A civic project the scale of some of the grand one's in major world cities (Millenium Park for example) is pocket change for the Thomson, Weston or Rogers families.
If it's any consolation, it's even worse here in Quebec.

Philanthropy does not seem to come naturally to francophones, a situation that is probably related to the fact we have very little old money here, and that even the most basic middle-class affluence only dates back to the early 1960s as a generalized thing.

Almost every single one of my friends (mid-30s to mid-40s) had working class borderline poor grand-parents, middle middle class parents, and are now upper middle class themselves.

I don't know any francophones at all who have high levels of family affluence going back a couple of generations, let alone a century more.

I suppose it will get better as our society matures and established prosperity starts to have répercussions on people's mindset. But it's still tough sledding.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If it's any consolation, it's even worse here in Quebec.

Philanthropy does not seem to come naturally to francophones, a situation that is probably related to the fact we have very little old money here, and that even the most basic middle-class affluence only dates back to the early 1960s as a generalized thing.

Almost every single one of my friends (mid-30s to mid-40s) had working class borderline poor grand-parents, middle middle class parents, and are now upper middle class themselves.

I don't know any francophones at all who have high levels of family affluence going back a couple of generations, let alone a century more.

I suppose it will get better as our society matures and established prosperity starts to have répercussions on people's mindset. But it's still tough sledding.
Interesting comments! I read that part of the difference with the wealthy elite in Canada vs the U.S is the wealthy here feel that they pay higher taxes so these projects should be entirely funded by the government (various levels). Problem is its just not happening to the degree that it is in other places and its a shame! The money is here and there are no shortage of multibillionaires in Quebec either (Saputo's, Desmarais family) etc. So you go crack on Saputo or Desmarais' heads and BK and I will take on David Thomson and Galen Weston. I mean Sir or Lord Whatever Thomson is worth 30.74 BILLION CAD dollars. He could entirely fund Rail Deck Park here and would be worth 30 Billion dollars still. I mean where is the civic pride in these people.

Anyway a few years ago my partner and I were in Q.C and saw a Cirque de Soleil Performance underneath a highway overpass! It was so cool and kind of reminds me of project under gardiner where you make the best of something that is there even if it is unsightly. Besides it was a FREE performance which made it better lol..

Last edited by fusion2; 09-07-2016 at 02:57 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Interesting comments! I read that part of the difference with the wealthy elite in Canada vs the U.S is the wealthy here feel that they pay higher taxes so these projects should be entirely funded by the government (various levels). ..

This is such a good point. In Quebec this mindset certainly exists as well, and is compounded by the fact that "charity" was taken care of by the Catholic church for several hundred years. So here you have the double-whammy of a high-tax nanny/welfare state on the one hand and a historic dependence on the church for "caretaking" on the other.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Anyway a few years ago my partner and I were in Q.C and saw a Cirque de Soleil Performance underneath a highway overpass! It was so cool and kind of reminds me of project under gardiner where you make the best of something that is there even if it is unsightly. Besides it was a FREE performance which made it better lol..
Yes I saw that too a few years ago! That guy on the spinning "ladder wheel" was amazing, wasn't he?

Old 09-20-2016, 12:17 PM

400 posts, read 422,450 times
Default Bravo Fusion !!

Quote:
+ 1000

That was one YUGE comment, Fusion.

Ken Thomson's fortune is in excess of $30 Billion, if you can believe such a mind boggling number. What use can one make of such an unimaginable sum, let alone the annual income that it throws off (probably north of $2 Billion) ? The guy could bankroll the Downtown Relief line with a few years of dividends on his capital, for crying out loud. That's why I favour higher taxes on the ASSETS of the extremely wealthy. The society from which their assets are able to generate returns needs some help at this time of sluggish growth and great need. What's goes into the heads of these people who think that amassing a few more billions when they already have even ONE is a good way to spend one's remaining time on earth ??

(In a Thursten Howell 3rd voice, from Gilligan's Island); "...Oh, lovey, must repair to the Polo grounds with Buffy and Biff tout de suite..." Oh brother.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:38 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
+ 1000

That was one YUGE comment, Fusion.

Ken Thomson's fortune is in excess of $30 Billion, if you can believe such a mind boggling number. What use can one make of such an unimaginable sum, let alone the annual income that it throws off (probably north of $2 Billion) ? The guy could bankroll the Downtown Relief line with a few years of dividends on his capital, for crying out loud. That's why I favour higher taxes on the ASSETS of the extremely wealthy. The society from which their assets are able to generate returns needs some help at this time of sluggish growth and great need. What's goes into the heads of these people who think that amassing a few more billions when they already have even ONE is a good way to spend one's remaining time on earth ??

(In a Thursten Howell 3rd voice, from Gilligan's Island); "...Oh, lovey, must repair to the Polo grounds with Buffy and Biff tout de suite..." Oh brother.
Just to be precise, you mean higher taxes on the capital gains of their assets, correct? Aside from property tax, I have yet to see any government in the world tax an individual's liquid assets - unless that asset was acquired tax free in the first place. How would you feel if the government taxes your savings account every year, even though that money has already been taxed when you first earned it? I am not defending the ultra-wealthy, but just want to be sure if you were to do it, do it properly.

A more realistic and achievable mechanism would be to encourage ultra-wealthy individuals to invest in publicly managed pension and investment funds that specifically focus on infrastructure investments in the city - such as Ontario Teacher's Pension Plan or other similar funds. To encourage this, the federal or provincial government could waive certain capital gain taxes that would've applied to their investment returns, because these are investments for public good. A bit like waiving taxes on charity donations but in this case waiving taxes on capital gains from investments into public infrastructure funds. A nice way to put to together a few billion dollars for one or two subway lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto