Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 05:34 PM

298 posts, read 276,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I know the area well. I use to volunteer at the hospital when I was a teen. It is near Regina Pacis and Westview. I never personally had any problems in the area. Occasionally the pesky guy trying to follow you.. but more with the intent of getting your number and not really to harm you. There is really not much around there. The Finch Bus comes often and is the best way out of there. Not a great vacation spot and I would be surprised if the discounted room would be worth staying all the way up there.

Even when I was still in the area Weston and Lawerence area was really bad. I use to work around there as a teen and even the bank that was at the corner closed due to the issues in the area. Once thing I don't miss about the area is the feeling of nothing ness. No stores... no cultural events .... just generic blahhhh. The best thing I ever did as a teen was decide to go to school down town rather than York and they travel outside of the country. Outside of my bedroom window ... all I use to see was traffic. The cool thing that is different now is that part of Toronto is better connected to all the new cool stuff in Woodbridge. Before I would literally walk up Weston Road to get there. I hated living in the North Toronto Bubble. Most of the interesting stuff in the city is South .. oh wait I forgot Black Creek Pioneer Village lol.
This is true, the suburbs can be so boring, north of the city is nothing generic just traffic and only good for living that's pretty much it, but since I live far from downtown I rarely go there, it takes me 2 hours to get to downtown if I wanted to go to either the harbourfront or to Dundas square or Eaton centre, I wouldn't even drive there since there is no parking, that's the only problem, but as a guy myself who lives in the suburbs I might aswell just try going to downtown more and more often to see what I can get out of the dating culture of this city since obviously in the suburbs its boring and bland and nothing special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I know the area well. I use to volunteer at the hospital when I was a teen. It is near Regina Pacis and Westview. I never personally had any problems in the area. Occasionally the pesky guy trying to follow you.. but more with the intent of getting your number and not really to harm you. There is really not much around there. The Finch Bus comes often and is the best way out of there. Not a great vacation spot and I would be surprised if the discounted room would be worth staying all the way up there.

Even when I was still in the area Weston and Lawerence area was really bad. I use to work around there as a teen and even the bank that was at the corner closed due to the issues in the area. Once thing I don't miss about the area is the feeling of nothing ness. No stores... no cultural events .... just generic blahhhh. The best thing I ever did as a teen was decide to go to school down town rather than York and they travel outside of the country. Outside of my bedroom window ... all I use to see was traffic. The cool thing that is different now is that part of Toronto is better connected to all the new cool stuff in Woodbridge. Before I would literally walk up Weston Road to get there. I hated living in the North Toronto Bubble. Most of the interesting stuff in the city is South .. oh wait I forgot Black Creek Pioneer Village lol.

most people feel so isolated when living in the suburbs here, they have no friends or whatever and so they later they finally realize that it's so isolating here anyways.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:34 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar21 View Post
most people feel so isolated when living in the suburbs here, they have no friends or whatever and so they later they finally realize that it's so isolating here anyways.

To be honest that might be part of the issue. I find people in the north of the city more focused on day to day living. However, in many pockets of south Toronto you find a bit more bohemina living (I said a bit). For example I live not too far from the beaches (though very expensive to own property) just north of the area and east of that area where I live there is less traffic and you still have access to the beach and cafe culture. I live a short walk to the bluffs too which is pretty cool.

If you live near the danforth, high park, Little Italy there is more cafe culture. Around Bloor and Ossignton you have a lot of hipsters... and related cafe/ bar culture. When I lived in North Toronto around that area growing up I went to school down town, but when I did go to clubs I slept over at freinds places that lived down town. I had at least 3 freinds that lived down town or when out with 905ers or people that drove we would go to night clubs in Woodbridge/ Vaughan or in Mississuaga or young and eglinton. We were many cursing from place to place as women get in free before certain times and my brother has a few freinds that were DJs we did not have to pay. That in itself got depressing lol because I never met anyone that way because I am not the type of person that is going to throw myself at someone. Most of my freinds I made while in university.. only kept a few high school/ elementary school freinds. I personally think meeting someone at a night club especially in this city is meant for mainly one night stands at best.

If you want to have a better quality or longer type interaction with someone take classes or go to places where there are activities where people interact. If you want to have an active social live South Toronto is far better. Also in terms of Art and Cultures and general buzz down town is the place to go. Even walking around you feel more energy and visual stimulation. There are markets and free event after event. Living in North Toronto and not venturing south you are loosing out on the best of what the city has to offer. It is usually going to be an hour ride to get there, but worth it. Even if you hope of the Jane Bus and go near Jane and Bloor or high park still so much more action. This city is fun of hidden gems. Also in North Toronto there are some pool halls. I have meet people in places like that, but it is hit or miss. It is likely a lot easier to talk to someone in that situation them in a night club because at least you can hear that they are saying.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
To be honest that might be part of the issue. I find people in the north of the city more focused on day to day living. However, in many pockets of south Toronto you find a bit more bohemina living (I said a bit). For example I live not too far from the beaches (though very expensive to own property) just north of the area and east of that area where I live there is less traffic and you still have access to the beach and cafe culture. I live a short walk to the bluffs too which is pretty cool.

If you live near the danforth, high park, Little Italy there is more cafe culture. Around Bloor and Ossignton you have a lot of hipsters... and related cafe/ bar culture. When I lived in North Toronto around that area growing up I went to school down town, but when I did go to clubs I slept over at freinds places that lived down town. I had at least 3 freinds that lived down town or when out with 905ers or people that drove we would go to night clubs in Woodbridge/ Vaughan or in Mississuaga or young and eglinton. We were many cursing from place to place as women get in free before certain times and my brother has a few freinds that were DJs we did not have to pay. That in itself got depressing lol because I never met anyone that way because I am not the type of person that is going to throw myself at someone. Most of my freinds I made while in university.. only kept a few high school/ elementary school freinds. I personally think meeting someone at a night club especially in this city is meant for mainly one night stands at best.

If you want to have a better quality or longer type interaction with someone take classes or go to places where there are activities where people interact. If you want to have an active social live South Toronto is far better. Also in terms of Art and Cultures and general buzz down town is the place to go. Even walking around you feel more energy and visual stimulation. There are markets and free event after event. Living in North Toronto and not venturing south you are loosing out on the best of what the city has to offer. It is usually going to be an hour ride to get there, but worth it. Even if you hope of the Jane Bus and go near Jane and Bloor or high park still so much more action. This city is fun of hidden gems. Also in North Toronto there are some pool halls. I have meet people in places like that, but it is hit or miss. It is likely a lot easier to talk to someone in that situation them in a night club because at least you can hear that they are saying.
The south is why the geese always fly there, good idea I might as well follow them all season long to reach there.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:56 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Hi all!

Thanks for the assurance about the safety of the area. Yes, it's the Holiday Inn Express on Norfinch Drive. As mentioned before, I don't intend to walk around the area. It's simply just a place to stay. I booked on one of those discount offerings that unfortunately does not allow cancellations and so I am pretty much stuck with this hotel. Because part of the time I and my family will be visiting relatives in Richmond Hill and Aurora and the other part of time checking out the City itself, I had thought of finding a place with free parking that was somewhere in between the York Region and Downtown Toronto. I had posted two earlier threads inquiring about the parking at Wilson TTC Station but no one answered. Does anyone know how fast the parking fills up on a weekday morning at that station? Will I still get a spot by say 9:00 or 9:30AM? Also how horrible is the traffic on Highway 401 these days?

This is my 5th visit to the GTA and I seem never to get enough of it. Granted three out of the last four times I swear I've spent more time in the York Region than Toronto itself, this time will be different. I want to see more actual Toronto neighborhoods and walk around places. I want to ride all the subway lines of the TTC, the Scarborough RT, the streetcars (gotta catch a Red Rocket III and IV before they go away forever!) and perhaps even a bus. I don't mind a long subway ride into Downtown, in fact that is one of the things I am looking forward to. Anyone have any other suggestions for itineraries, please feel free to share.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:25 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,045 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Hi all!

Thanks for the assurance about the safety of the area. Yes, it's the Holiday Inn Express on Norfinch Drive. As mentioned before, I don't intend to walk around the area. It's simply just a place to stay. I booked on one of those discount offerings that unfortunately does not allow cancellations and so I am pretty much stuck with this hotel. Because part of the time I and my family will be visiting relatives in Richmond Hill and Aurora and the other part of time checking out the City itself, I had thought of finding a place with free parking that was somewhere in between the York Region and Downtown Toronto. I had posted two earlier threads inquiring about the parking at Wilson TTC Station but no one answered. Does anyone know how fast the parking fills up on a weekday morning at that station? Will I still get a spot by say 9:00 or 9:30AM? Also how horrible is the traffic on Highway 401 these days?

This is my 5th visit to the GTA and I seem never to get enough of it. Granted three out of the last four times I swear I've spent more time in the York Region than Toronto itself, this time will be different. I want to see more actual Toronto neighborhoods and walk around places. I want to ride all the subway lines of the TTC, the Scarborough RT, the streetcars (gotta catch a Red Rocket III and IV before they go away forever!) and perhaps even a bus. I don't mind a long subway ride into Downtown, in fact that is one of the things I am looking forward to. Anyone have any other suggestions for itineraries, please feel free to share.

Traffic is BAD!!! It is better to take the bus if visiting downtown then to drive to the station. My number one complaint about North Toronto is Traffic!!!!! In my opinion if might be less stressful cheaper and overall easier to leave the car at the hotel and just take the TTC. Bus service in this area comes pretty much every 10 minutes during the day and is 24 hours more or less. My pick going to be going to the Exhibition for at least 1 day! Always lots to do in the city in general so the question is more what do you like to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto