Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 08:47 AM

5,890 posts, read 6,088,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Very well said, I agree. All those cities are also very diverse. Not only that, but those cities you mentioned have had several non white Mayors, and despite the problems people love to point out about Americans cities, all those cities have significant middle and upper middle class neighborhoods that are majority black, specially LA.

Whites still make up the biggest group of people in Toronto. Ontario is still over 70% white. To say white privilege is evaporating in Toronto is not accurate.
Had a look and there's about 60,000 people living in LA neighbourhoods that are above average income and majority black. Houston has more - about 100,000, mainly in the suburban areas of Fort Bend County. Didn't add up all the neighbourhoods for DC, but suburban Prince George County probably has more people living in such neighbourhoods than Houston and LA combined.

Toronto doesn't have any majority black middle to upper class neighbourhoods, but it also doesn't have any majority black neighbourhoods period.

Last edited by memph; 10-23-2016 at 09:02 AM..

Old 10-23-2016, 10:43 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Had a look and there's about 60,000 people living in LA neighbourhoods that are above average income and majority black. Houston has more - about 100,000, mainly in the suburban areas of Fort Bend County. Didn't add up all the neighbourhoods for DC, but suburban Prince George County probably has more people living in such neighbourhoods than Houston and LA combined.
Yes it appears Maryland has some of the wealthiest black areas in America. What ever the case maybe, it doesn't take away from the original point.

Quote:
Toronto doesn't have any majority black middle to upper class neighbourhoods, but it also doesn't have any majority black neighbourhoods period.
Good point. Are there any areas of Toronto where whites don't make up the biggest group?Brampton? Scarborough?

Old 10-23-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Yes it appears Maryland has some of the wealthiest black areas in America. What ever the case maybe, it doesn't take away from the original point.

Good point. Are there any areas of Toronto where whites don't make up the biggest group?Brampton? Scarborough?
You mean areas where whites are not only not a majority but also are not a plurality? In any case... yes.

colour code for % white

<5% white: black
5-10% white: brown
10-20% white: red
20-30% white: orange
30-50% white: yellow
50-70% white: green
70-80% white: light blue
80-90% white: navy blue
90-100% white: purple

Milliken, around the boundary of Scarborough and Markham is the least white area, mostly Chinese. The heavily non-white of north Markham and around highway 404 are also mostly Chinese.

Towards the eastern parts of Scarborough and Markham is more South Asian than Chinese, and closer to the 401 and south of the 401 is more of a mix of various groups.

New parts of Brampton all have South Asians as the biggest group, especially in the SW, NE and E. NW Brampton I think South Asians are still the biggest group but with more whites and blacks alongside them.

North Rexdale and Malton have South Asians as the biggest group, and then a fair bit of blacks. Other parts of Mississauga with lots of minorities have more of a mix of Arabs, South Asians, East Asians, Filipinos...

Jane-Finch is pretty diverse, I think there might be one or two census tracts with black plurality but it really has a mix of everything.

North York Centre, the main visible minority groups are Koreans, Iranians and Chinese.

Thorncliffe Park and Flemingdon Park I think is mostly Afghans, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis. Crescent Town is more Bangladeshi.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:35 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default ????

Quote:

Please note who is white again....lol? I am talking Anglo/ White..... I not talking about people that just think they are white because they are not black .

Also Brampton is not part of the city of Toronto. Scarborough is. Regardless again not sure we are comparing other cities outside of Canada or other cities in general. This is about being black in Toronto .... I am not black so obviously I can't speak from my own experiences..... but my black freinds from Toronto that have moved to places in the 905s ... have had negative experiences they never had in Toronto. But everyone is different. So far this thread seems hugely like non-bkack people speaking on behalf of blacks in Toronto.... not exactly the most valid info.... so I am going to and just read now.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:04 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,503,724 times
I'm black

It is just like anywhere else. You have to watch your back in some places, but otherwise it is very friendly.

Just be careful, and you should be ok.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
You mean areas where whites are not only not a majority but also are not a plurality? In any case... yes.

colour code for % white

<5% white: black
5-10% white: brown
10-20% white: red
20-30% white: orange
30-50% white: yellow
50-70% white: green
70-80% white: light blue
80-90% white: navy blue
90-100% white: purple

Milliken, around the boundary of Scarborough and Markham is the least white area, mostly Chinese. The heavily non-white of north Markham and around highway 404 are also mostly Chinese.

Towards the eastern parts of Scarborough and Markham is more South Asian than Chinese, and closer to the 401 and south of the 401 is more of a mix of various groups.

New parts of Brampton all have South Asians as the biggest group, especially in the SW, NE and E. NW Brampton I think South Asians are still the biggest group but with more whites and blacks alongside them.

North Rexdale and Malton have South Asians as the biggest group, and then a fair bit of blacks. Other parts of Mississauga with lots of minorities have more of a mix of Arabs, South Asians, East Asians, Filipinos...

Jane-Finch is pretty diverse, I think there might be one or two census tracts with black plurality but it really has a mix of everything.

North York Centre, the main visible minority groups are Koreans, Iranians and Chinese.

Thorncliffe Park and Flemingdon Park I think is mostly Afghans, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis. Crescent Town is more Bangladeshi.
To be clear... the colour of the dot in each census tract corresponds to the % white vs visible minority; the colour that the census tract is shaded in (dark red, light red, white, light blue, dark blue) corresponds to the per capita income.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:02 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
NO. What I AM saying is that blacks commit the most violence and crime BY FAR in the GTA so obviously its natural for them to come into contact with police much, MUCH more often than non-blacks do. Its pretty damn simple that if black people and particularly young black males stopped committing so much crime every damn year, then over time they will have less interaction with police.

The problem is blacks can't stop committing crime so OF COURSE the police who are doing their jobs will scrutinize black people more closely than non-blacks. Blacks always complain about getting profiled, but just look at even the past couple of weeks where we've had shooting after shooting with several killed and others seriously injured and ALL OF THEM involving blacks. So if blacks want to complain about being profiled, they have no one to blame BUT THEMSELVES.

And then you have sorry ass 'movements' like BLM Toronto being COMPLETELY SILENT throughout all this gun violence in recent weeks because its clear that their agenda isn't to stop blacks from dying, but to complain that 'the system' is against black people and to cause trouble and discourse and division between blacks and everyone else.

What 'institutional racism' was there in Canada against black people? What a LOAD OF CRAP. Slavery was already abolished before Canada even became a nation, so no black slavery here by Canadians. Of course there was some discrimination and racism, but it was no more worse than what the Chinese or any other immigrant group who first came here faced so that excuse goes out the window too.

The bottom line is that blacks haven't had it any worse than any other immigrant group that came here yet they've been consistently the most violent out of every race/ethnicity save for the Natives. And also you can't explain why even RECENT black immigrants often fall into the same crime and violence problems when they settle here.

I don't think anyone denies that the Natives were mistreated in the past, but the reason they're still doing so poorly in 2016 lays mostly with themselves and their leaders now. Most native leaders are UTTERLY USELESS and corrupt and their insistence in living in the middle of nowhere with all their problems is just MORONIC!

Seriously if natives have had so many problems living in the boonies for so long now, why don't they just move closer to civilization so that they can get proper housing, infrastructure and social services at probably a fraction of the cost of trying to keep their craphole communities in the middle of nowhere alive?? That's just utterly stupid to me that they won't move for the sake of their children and communities to somewhere closer to civilization.

Again don't blame cops and non-blacks for this, blame your fellow blacks for the troubles you face now. As I said above, profiling and stereotyping of blacks doesn't come from one or a few incidents or one or a few years of high crime rates. Profiling comes from DECADES of high black crime rates and NEVER ENDING VIOLENCE and you're seeing it on full display these past few weeks as to why blacks are scrutinized more than anyone else.

So yes it sucks for normal law abiding black people that they get splattered with the poop that criminal and violent blacks create, but again blame your fellow black people for that. You can't continually see black males committing crime and violence and murder on the streets of Toronto and NOT develop negative perceptions of them. That's just plain stupid to expect otherwise.

Maybe if black people worked harder at raising their kids right and cleaning up their neighborhoods and becoming more peaceful like most non-blacks in Toronto are, their image would change over time to be more positive and people would be more comfortable around black people and store owners wouldn't have to look at black people coming into their stores as possible criminals. Its that simple.

Think about it. It would be like you were a bad driver constantly getting into accidents and then you complained that you were discriminated against because of your ethnicity when your insurance rates went up year after year. Its the same with blacks where we constantly see shootings, murder and violence on our streets and then black people have the GALL to complain that they're unfairly profiled? Really?!?!? >_>

Well considering the identity of the attackers hasn't been released yet, chances are the suspects aren't white otherwise it would've been plastered all over the news LONG AGO. So if there was a 'hate crime' if you even want to call it that, it was against a gay person and not because of the color of their skin.
The fact that you dont understand what "institutional racism" is but yet got the all the answers proves my point.
If I am a black person who has never been in trouble but am automatically profiled or treated differently due to my race and denied the same wide ranging rights as whites,then the problem is in how the general society and government has generally been the one that started the cycle.
Black people were not committing violent crimes in Canada like they are today 20 years ago.
Forty years ago,blacks were not committing these crimes in the .U.S. either.
Here is a good article showing how even subtle racism is everyday for most blacks.
Racism Is Alive and Well in Toronto | politics | Torontoist

You cant have it both ways.You said once again "blacks commit these crimes therefore they are to blame" yet you say its not what you are saying that blacks are not predisposed.
Obviously there is a reason,Also this problem with police goes back decades.Its not new so the excuse that blacks are commit more violent crimes has no bearing on a problem that preceded the behavior.

I said it before but you ignore or dont realize that the majority of blacks who are complaining do NOT have criminal records however its a fact that blacks get arrested more often for the same crimes than whites do.That is INSTITUTIONAL RACISM.Once you are in a system for something small ,your chances are good you will be judged based on that.

Black people do raise thier kids.That is such an ignorant statement and talking to you is like talking to someone who cares little for real facts but rather rest on thier own racist ideas of whats wrong with a community they know nothing about but talk with such authority.

Quote:
So yes it sucks for normal law abiding black people that they get splattered with the poop that criminal and violent blacks create, but again blame your fellow black people for that. You can't continually see black males committing crime and violence and murder on the streets of Toronto and NOT develop negative perceptions of them. That's just plain stupid to expect otherwise.
You keep lumping all black people like we all know each other and therefore need to fix the problems.So ignorant.
Perhaps minorities should expect all white people to be racist bigoted people.I mean so many incidents of rasim so why would I lnot think that?Its stupid to think someone would not.SMH

Oh and I told you this is a close friend of mine who told me they were all white males.He said they did not look like people who may live in the city but further out in more rural areas.

Last edited by Othello Is Here; 10-24-2016 at 02:14 AM..

Old 10-24-2016, 02:03 AM

Quote:

D.C. and Atlanta have the largest black middle class in America.Both also have the largest concentrations of black millionaires.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Please note who is white again....lol? I am talking Anglo/ White..... I not talking about people that just think they are white because they are not black .

Also Brampton is not part of the city of Toronto. Scarborough is. Regardless again not sure we are comparing other cities outside of Canada or other cities in general. This is about being black in Toronto .... I am not black so obviously I can't speak from my own experiences..... but my black freinds from Toronto that have moved to places in the 905s ... have had negative experiences they never had in Toronto. But everyone is different. So far this thread seems hugely like non-bkack people speaking on behalf of blacks in Toronto.... not exactly the most valid info.... so I am going to and just read now.
Im black but American.However I have spent a lot of time in Canada and have many Black Canadian friends.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I agree there are a lot of major cities in North America... but I don't agree with the idea the minority's are not significantly represented in important roles in this city because I know many many non white people that hold high positions in this city in all areas. Also the numbers are growing..... I can also think of people like md who grew up in more working class areas of Toronto .. no one knew it .., but 20 years later a huge chunk of us are playing important roles in this city now.... but when you meet us outside of work you might not realize that because we are still lined up at the local ethnic take out places to get an oxtail and rice.

I think is white/ Anglo Toronto or privilege as known in the part is evaporating as we speak and the rest of us are holding a better share of better positions in this city. Checkout Toronto news or talk shows ....
I mean where are the black CEO's,and senior level executives?In those cities I mentioned ,minorities are easily visible in all aspects.Still not great but it seems more pervasive in AMerica
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto