Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 08:06 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Parkdale, I saw a lot of this over there. I remember walking home from my job late at night on numerous occasions seeing people smoking crack between buildings on King. There was a few times the addicts would run up to me thinking I was selling crack. I quickly learned not to wear my hood up so people could see my face easily. This one lady thought I was selling crack, when I told her I didn't she asked me if I could spare some change, LOL. Going to beer store was a pain in the ass, there was always a crowd of people outside asking for money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 08:18 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,867,415 times
I see no issues in giving out bottles of juice or electrolyte drinks and a fig bar (softer for those with dental issues) to panhandlers....

Old 11-23-2016, 09:55 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,045 times
Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdie View Post
What happens when the food banks are empty and the shelters are full? government housing is a ten year wait. Stop pretending all homeless are mentally ill or drug addicted, just stop. There are women and children put out o the streets because there is no where else for them to go. And also stop it with the "generous government services" - this is not in the least bit true. As a disabled person I'm telling you government services are few and far between.
I never said it was easy... but the ones lined up asking you change along most of the down town core are my clients. There is a lot of opportunity for improvement. I am 100% not arguing that. But encouraging people to beg on the streets should not be encouraged. The ones that are mainly doing this in the downtown core don't don't need change for a coffee they need actual help....

Are you actually from Toronto? The reason why I ask is that a lot of people don't know of some additional ways they can get a but extra in terms of food and how to stretch things out a bit more creatively. Outside of the Toronto area things can be more challenging. No one in this city should be going to bed hungry .... we have surplus of food.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:03 PM

Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I used to live in Parkdale, I saw a lot of this over there. I remember walking home from my job late at night on numerous occasions seeing people smoking crack between buildings on King. There was a few times the addicts would run up to me thinking I was selling crack. I quickly learned not to wear my hood up so people could see my face easily. This one lady thought I was selling crack, when I told her I didn't she asked me if I could spare some change, LOL. Going to beer store was a pain in the ass, there was always a crowd of people outside asking for money.
Exactly..... now imagine how messed up knowing some of these people by name . People are going to start thinking I am a drug dealer . I was walking a long a street downtown and saw one of my clients who is a known drug addict with mental health issues and just Said hi x and started to chat .... I stared to get some reality nasty looks from people walking bye lol.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:06 PM

Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
I see no issues in giving out bottles of juice or electrolyte drinks and a fig bar (softer for those with dental issues) to panhandlers....
....You are enabling indirectly ... you can't even ride the subway without being approached. Some of them actually view this as their job.... which is not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto