Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 05:20 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,718,834 times

Advertisements

Thought it would be interesting to see CT data for areas which contain these amenities (for comparison I also included some neighboring tracts):

Tract 60 - Spadina to Bathurst, Bloor to Harbord includes Bloor JCC and First Naraveyer synagogue. Include also tract 92 (western half of the Annex) to the west and tract 59 to the south (area between Harbord and College).

Jewish religion: 245 10.2% (850 - 12% in tract 92, 285 - 8.3% in tract 59)
Jewish ethnicity: 270 11.3% (790 - 11.2% in tract 92, 320 - 9.3% in tract 59)

Tract 37 - University to Spadina, College to Dundas. Includes First Baptist. Include also tract 36 (the Grange) and tract 38 (Kensington).

Black: 100 2.1% (245 - 5% in tract 36, 70 - 1.8% in tract 38)

Tract 39 - Spadina to Bathurst, Dundas to Queen. Includes St. Stanislaus Church. Include also tract 40 (Bathurst to Gore Vale).

Polish: 55 1.2% (145 - 3% in tract 40)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Except you already have the "other European" category for that, which I'm assuming would include mixed European ancestry (unless you just went with the ancestry of the paternal line back then?). To me that implies "other" means "not European, not Asian". So that would be mixed race, American indian, and Black/African, and I suppose North Africans which aren't really Black, though I doubt there were very many of those.
https://archive.org/stream/195198195...ge/n3/mode/2up
It says "Other and Not Stated." We don't know how large "not stated" is.

1941 community survey estimated about 5000.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=dda...201951&f=false

Old 12-02-2016, 05:25 PM

I think Chinatown has fared up pretty well due to its proximity to U of T. The Bay-Dundas area is sort of a pan Asia-town.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:45 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Quote:
One of the things you notice about Toronto is often you have "ethnic commercial areas" or areas where people from a certain ethnic community like to hang out which is different from where the ethnic community lives. How often are these where people live, and how often are they elsewhere?

Koreans: Mostly live near Yonge and Finch, and that area does have retail and such catering to them, but then there's also Koreatown around Bloor and Manning which doesn't seem to have a significant Korean population.

South Asians: lots of South Asian themed retail in the areas where they live, especially older areas like North Rexdale, Malton and Scarborough. I happened to be in Thistletown when India won the cricket world cup and there was a lot of celebrating in the parking lots around Albion and Islington so I guess that area must be one of the centres of their community, it definitely has lots of South Asian themed retail. In Brampton it seems like it's often just 1-2 South Asian themed businesses alongside a bunch of generic chain stores.

Then there's Little India which I'm not sure why that particular area was chosen since there aren't really many Indians living there and it's not as accessible as Chinatown or Koreantown or Greektown for drawing in tourists. You could say it's sort of in between the NW and NE South Asian enclaves of the GTA but I think it's too far from Brampton, Malton, etc to attract many people from there.

Chinese: Mostly it's a lot of Chinese themed malls near where most Chinese people live, centred around Pacific Mall. But there's also the two footholds near downtown with Chinatown and Chinatown East. However, unlike Koreatown and Little India, there is a decent sized Chinese community living near those two Chinatowns. There's a fair bit of Chinese restaurants around Dundas and Elizabeth, not sure if it's just a coincidence that that's where The Ward (Toronto's first Chinatown) used to be and now Chinese restaurants have set up there to cater to tourists and office workers?

West Indians: Mostly live in same areas to South Asians. Is Eglinton West and Oakwood-Vaughan still what it used to be to Toronto's West Indian community? Or have areas around Jane St and Weston Rd become more important? Eglinton West seems pretty mixed now and not very West Indian dominated at all when it comes to retail now, but I haven't been there 20-30 years ago to compare to how it used to be. Is there much West Indian themed retail in the east side anywhere?
We don't need to ghettoize the city. You don't need to be a particular culture to want to eat or shop enthnic businesses in this city. I am in many of these areas on a regular basis and ex little korea ... you see othere people there too. I also see lots of korean people there to.

These ethnic options are part of many people in Toronto's dining norm's.

There are west indian restaurants all over the city.

People have moved all over the city and GTA. I am not Chinese, Jewish, Japanese, Italian, Indian, Afghani, West Indian, Portugese, Persian, Turkish, Greek, Mexican and so on, but I grew up sampling from these foods and as someone living in Toronto raised with all these options available.... I want access to this variety all the time. This is the beauty of Toronto... we pretty much have just about anything here. These ethnic areas still strive because it is not just people from a certain culture that go there. I am not Indian... but when I feel like a good samosa I know where my tops places to get samosa are. I am not Polish, but when I feel like some polish bakery items or sausages ... I know where I am heading to get the really deal. That is the fun of Toronto. I love going to these places ... it is like a vacation a bus ride away. You want to have a taste or Iran and Persian culture .... I know where I am going. I feel just about anything .... I can find it here. Options after options. This city is loaded with hidden dining and shopping treasures!

Old 12-02-2016, 06:05 PM

5,890 posts, read 6,088,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
That stretch of Dundas has been more and more dominated by Japanese businesses in recent years, it's now been branded as "Little Tokyo".

The top 10 places to eat in Toronto's Little Tokyo
Looks like you're right, in the area of Dundas from Yonge to University, I see 29 Asian themed businesses, with 16 of those Japanese vs just 6 Chinese (from streetview). I haven't really been there recently but when I worked at Atrium on Bay (Yonge & Dundas) in 2011 I don't remember there being so many Japanese restaurants, I only remember a couple like Japango. Has it changed so much recently or was I just not paying close enough attention?

Any idea what led to all these Japanese businesses popping up there? Toronto's Japanese population is fairly small and slow growing. Where were Japanese businesses most concentrated before? Mixed in among Korean businesses in Koreatown? Has there been a shift of Japanese businesses out of Koreatown to Bay & Dundas?

Old 12-02-2016, 06:24 PM

5,890 posts, read 6,088,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
We don't need to ghettoize the city. You don't need to be a particular culture to want to eat or shop enthnic businesses in this city. I am in many of these areas on a regular basis and ex little korea ... you see othere people there too. I also see lots of korean people there to.

These ethnic options are part of many people in Toronto's dining norm's.

There are west indian restaurants all over the city.

People have moved all over the city and GTA. I am not Chinese, Jewish, Japanese, Italian, Indian, Afghani, West Indian, Portugese, Persian, Turkish, Greek, Mexican and so on, but I grew up sampling from these foods and as someone living in Toronto raised with all these options available.... I want access to this variety all the time. This is the beauty of Toronto... we pretty much have just about anything here. These ethnic areas still strive because it is not just people from a certain culture that go there. I am not Indian... but when I feel like a good samosa I know where my tops places to get samosa are. I am not Polish, but when I feel like some polish bakery items or sausages ... I know where I am heading to get the really deal. That is the fun of Toronto. I love going to these places ... it is like a vacation a bus ride away. You want to have a taste or Iran and Persian culture .... I know where I am going. I feel just about anything .... I can find it here. Options after options. This city is loaded with hidden dining and shopping treasures!
I don't disagree, I like ethnic food too, usually when I eat out that's what I go for since I like to go for stuff I don't know how to make myself. Many other people seem to be the same although you have others that just stick to the food they grew up on, both multi-gen Canadians and immigrants.

Sometimes it's easier if you have a concentration of certain businesses in one area, ex if you're looking for Chinese food you know you can go to Chinatown and have plenty of options, if you're looking for Indian you can go to Little India or maybe certain sections of the inner suburbs like Thistletown or Lawrence East. You can still have clustering of businesses without having the residents of that ethnic group ghettoized in that area (like Little India and Koreatown). And it's also nice to have a variety in your own neighbourhood so you don't have to go across town. I'm just curious to see what leads to clustering of businesses and residents of a certain ethnic group since they don't always go together.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:20 PM

Tract 35 (Discovery District, Bay-Dundas area)

There's a large East Asian population of around 35%.

Chinese 1,705 23.7%
Korean 440 6.1%
Southeast Asian 210 2.9%
Japanese 90 1.3%
Filipino 80 1.1%

In addition, there's are 760 Arabs (10.3%) in the CT. That comes as a bit of a surprise.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:37 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Quote:
I don't disagree, I like ethnic food too, usually when I eat out that's what I go for since I like to go for stuff I don't know how to make myself. Many other people seem to be the same although you have others that just stick to the food they grew up on, both multi-gen Canadians and immigrants.

Sometimes it's easier if you have a concentration of certain businesses in one area, ex if you're looking for Chinese food you know you can go to Chinatown and have plenty of options, if you're looking for Indian you can go to Little India or maybe certain sections of the inner suburbs like Thistletown or Lawrence East. You can still have clustering of businesses without having the residents of that ethnic group ghettoized in that area (like Little India and Koreatown). And it's also nice to have a variety in your own neighbourhood so you don't have to go across town. I'm just curious to see what leads to clustering of businesses and residents of a certain ethnic group since they don't always go together.
My favorite Chinese place in the city is on a pretty Jewish area..Bathurst and Steeles.....you got great Chinese next to a kosher deli..... Chinese dinner ... kosher/ eastern European dessert.... sounds crazy .... but it just works too . If I even had a point I just killed it lol.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
West Indians: Mostly live in same areas to South Asians. Is Eglinton West and Oakwood-Vaughan still what it used to be to Toronto's West Indian community? Or have areas around Jane St and Weston Rd become more important? Eglinton West seems pretty mixed now and not very West Indian dominated at all when it comes to retail now, but I haven't been there 20-30 years ago to compare to how it used to be. Is there much West Indian themed retail in the east side anywhere?
There's a significant Caribbean commercial presence that falls just west of the Jewish one on Eglinton West (split more or less by Marlee and the Allen Expressway). This was definitely one of the earliest concentrations and it's still pretty notable. Today however the adjacent residential areas are very multicultural, with the Black/Caribbean presence alongside Filipinos, Latin Americans and Portuguese (there's also still an old Italian community in the area too). So yes, I would say residentially the community is more centered around Mount Dennis-Weston and up Jane St.

Tract 168 (Winnett Ave. to Vaughan Rd. below Eglinton)

Filipino 910 16.8%
Black 675 12.5%
Latin American 360 6.6%

Italian origin 670 12.5%
Caribbean origin 625 11.5%
Portuguese origin 375 7%

Tract 164 (Arlington Ave. to Oakwood, Rogers Rd to Eglinton)

Black 1,145 18.1%
Filipino 530 8.4%
Latin American 355 5.6%

Caribbean origin 870 13.8%
Italian origin 850 13.4%
Portuguese origin 630 10%

Tract 162 (Oakwood to Dufferin below Vaughan Rd.)

Black 530 11%
Filipino 465 9.7%
Latin American 455 9.5%

Portuguese origin 1,090 22.7%
Italian origin 685 14.3%
Caribbean origin 400 8.3%

So basically you have the old Black/Caribbean community still there, but Portuguese (concentrated the west, around Caledonia) and the Filipino community (part of the Bathurst concentration) are present too.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:20 AM

Many if not most Japanese restaurants in Toronto are run by Koreans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto