Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 07:27 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast_CA View Post
OP just something to consider. If your career means anything you would not bother relocating to Canada. Just my two cents.

I have traveled far and wide and I can say from that experience, it's a great place to visit but I wouldn't live there if they offered me a million dollars. Nothing beats America. That's just my opinion. Ymmv.
Nah..Maybe inferior to very good coastal. But beats the heck out of the overfly region.

Most would be absolutely nuts to turn down a million to move to Toronto or Vancouver or Calgary.

We Americans are often terribly narrow in our view.

My niece...a fresh English MD with research background has chosen Copenhagen. She is a US citizen and likely has the skills to fight through the licensing...but chose to fight into the Scandinavian system rather than UK or US. Interesting choice by one who had all the options open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 07:51 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnLeo2416 View Post
Ugh, that makes me feel better lol. A lot of the posters here were scaring me a tad bit. We get pretty brutal weather here in NY as well so We're fairly good with the cold. I agree that it's just a great place to live. Thanks for your response!
As someone that had made the NY to Toronto move in years past.. it is much colder and snowier. Just don't let it get to you. Dress warmer and force yourself out of the house and do things. Having said that, I'm grateful my building had a heated garage and direct access to the TTC I eventually left Toronto and moved back to the US... salaries were much lower than in the US and the job market back then (2009) was not optimal. I was lucky to find a company in NH that moved me across the border at such a bad time economically. I earn much more in the US (significantly), my car insurance is significantly lower, lower cost of living, etc. I liked Toronto, but frankly financially do much better in the US.

Last edited by minibrings; 01-06-2017 at 07:59 AM..

Old 01-06-2017, 12:41 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast_CA View Post
OP just something to consider. If your career means anything you would not bother relocating to Canada. Just my two cents.

I have traveled far and wide and I can say from that experience, it's a great place to visit but I wouldn't live there if they offered me a million dollars. Nothing beats America. That's just my opinion. Ymmv.

I could not agree more.....been there done that, career wise, financial wise, diversity wise (including geographical and weather diversity) USA wins hands down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Nah..Maybe inferior to very good coastal. But beats the heck out of the overfly region.

Most would be absolutely nuts to turn down a million to move to Toronto or Vancouver or Calgary.

We Americans are often terribly narrow in our view.

My niece...a fresh English MD with research background has chosen Copenhagen. She is a US citizen and likely has the skills to fight through the licensing...but chose to fight into the Scandinavian system rather than UK or US. Interesting choice by one who had all the options open.

Compare apples to apples....flyover regions have to be compared with flyover areas of Canada...I still take Kansas City over Regina thank you....

Many Canadians would give their first born for a US Green Card.

Your niece experience...Europe is not the US and I would also overall prefer Europe over the US....but Canada-US?? Not even a contest.

To people that blabber as usual "I'm moving to Canada" when their favorite party loses the election I always reply, "the best cure for wanting to move to Canada is.....actually moving to Canada"....do it and report back ;-)

Old 01-06-2017, 01:41 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post

Do you have any data or citation or survey to back this up? Nope. I figured.

Given the circus show that we have in America, I have high doubts that people would still be as enthusiastic to make a move to America today compared to immigrants from 10 or 20 or 30 years earlier. Plenty of comparable options for career and high quality of life now across the globe nowadays, Canada included. America has long passed its days of "shining city on the hill".

Old 01-06-2017, 02:00 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
I could not agree more.....been there done that, career wise, financial wise, diversity wise (including geographical and weather diversity) USA wins hands down.

Compare apples to apples....flyover regions have to be compared with flyover areas of Canada...I still take Kansas City over Regina thank you....

Your niece experience...Europe is not the US and I would also overall prefer Europe over the US....but Canada-US?? Not even a contest.

To people that blabber as usual "I'm moving to Canada" when their favorite party loses the election I always reply, "the best cure for wanting to move to Canada is.....actually moving to Canada"....do it and report back ;-)
Actually a large branch of the family grain farms in Saskatchewan. They are doing very well and would not be interested in the US other than perhaps a large spread in the plains. Niece and husband now hit Hawaii for a couple of months in the winter.

I see little desire upon the part of any of these people to come to the US though many do enjoy snowbird status. And lots of them show up for a week or two here in Vegas.

We have considered Vancouver Island for our retirement but decided the health care thing was too complicated to deal with. Other than that Victoria or Nanaimo or Campbell River would have worked.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Do you have any data or citation or survey to back this up? Nope. I figured.

The professional brain drain flows mainly in one direction...south

If you really work in the field you claim to be working, you know what the "data" is and I suspect you may be one of the GC grabber yourself..maybe you never entertained the idea because you know how difficult it is

Even some other Canadians living in the US on this forum confirm this more or less this....trying to deny it is frankly silly...it is what it is.

I met countless Canadian professionals that would gladly move south and as many trying desperately a way to convert their TN or H1B visas into something else....this is my "data"....sure some, when they fail, they will tell to their friends "ohh I just decided to come back home".

Quote:
Given the circus show that we have in America, I have high doubts that people would still be as enthusiastic to make a move to America today compared to immigrants from 10 or 20 or 30 years earlier. Plenty of comparable options for career and high quality of life now across the globe nowadays, Canada included. America has long passed its days of "shining city on the hill".
Whatever...I stand by my first comment...many Canadians would give their first born for a Green Card....and they are right, I lived both realities so I understand why.

Last edited by saturno_v; 01-06-2017 at 02:33 PM..

Old 01-06-2017, 08:30 PM

659 posts, read 899,192 times
Quote:
"the best cure for wanting to move to Canada is.....actually moving to Canada"....do it and report back ;-)
Did it

My only regret is not doing it 20 years earlier.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina311 View Post
Did it

My only regret is not doing it 20 years earlier.

Glad did work for you....if you did only recently it could still be too soon to decided if it was the right move

Met quite few "come back to the US after awhile" cases.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Actually a large branch of the family grain farms in Saskatchewan. They are doing very well and would not be interested in the US other than perhaps a large spread in the plains. Niece and husband now hit Hawaii for a couple of months in the winter.

I see little desire upon the part of any of these people to come to the US though many do enjoy snowbird status. And lots of them show up for a week or two here in Vegas.

We have considered Vancouver Island for our retirement but decided the health care thing was too complicated to deal with. Other than that Victoria or Nanaimo or Campbell River would have worked.

Never said all of Canada would love to move...but definitely a lot of people...

Old 01-07-2017, 04:15 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
Quote:
Stop worrying. That is dumb. I spent well over 15 years in Rochester which is only a 100 miles from Toronto and actually has worse weather. Toronto is a little colder because it is on the right side of the lake. Rochester is the pits because the lake effect always piles up the clouds. So in Toronto you pay the price of a little lower temperature in return for vastly more sunshine. Take the sunshine every time.

And Toronto is simply a nice place. If you can't afford San Jose or Vancouver...you can't do any better than Toronto. An amazing place. NYCers are actually happy there. A thing few places can claim.
Pretty much sums it up.

Rochester, NY is slightly warmer than Toronto Pearson .....

However Rochester is not warmer than downtown Toronto.

Perhaps OP will be living downtown or near downtown.

Toronto UHI (urban heat Island) means temps average between 1 to 2 degrees warmer.

The whole "can I survive" in Toronto thing is silly,
we have immigrants from much warmer climates...India, Jamaica, etc...
they have to adjust much more than someone from NYC, lol.

Only a few days a year will be colder than you've ever experienced in New York.
There is even overlap, when Toronto has a very warm year ...like 2012...
Toronto average annual temp is close to a NYC "normal" year.
Conversly ...when Toronto had a very cold year...it's like Montreal

And as for snow....Toronto is blessed to be in a pocket with little snow,
by Canadian standards. NYC actually gets bigger Nor'easter snow storms.

For example, Buffalo south towns are currently being pummelled with snow...
meanwhile it's just cold in Toronto....no snow.
Toronto can only get lake effect snow when there is an east wind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto