Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2017, 12:09 AM

62 posts, read 176,012 times

Advertisements

I have a potential job opportunity in downtown TO and would appreciate a little guidance on where might be a good place to live.

Ideally I am looking for a single family home on a large lot (ideally 2+acres) in a town with excellent public schools (and parks and youth sports) and an upper-middle class feel. (I've lived in very wealthy neighborhoods as well as poor neighborhoods and enjoy neither.) I'm willing to accept a pretty substantial commute if necessary - although rail would be awesome.

I've spent a fair amount of time in downtown TO proper but know next to nothing about the suburbs. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 01:04 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_trackstar View Post
I have a potential job opportunity in downtown TO and would appreciate a little guidance on where might be a good place to live.

Ideally I am looking for a single family home on a large lot (ideally 2+acres) in a town with excellent public schools (and parks and youth sports) and an upper-middle class feel. (I've lived in very wealthy neighborhoods as well as poor neighborhoods and enjoy neither.) I'm willing to accept a pretty substantial commute if necessary - although rail would be awesome.

I've spent a fair amount of time in downtown TO proper but know next to nothing about the suburbs. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Right, what's your budget? 2 acres is probably impossible, Toronto's suburbs aren't that low density. School districts also aren't the sort of thing people think about when choosing their homes in the way they are in the US (you sound like that's where you're coming from), there's not usually a big difference in school quality.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:26 AM

62 posts, read 176,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Right, what's your budget? 2 acres is probably impossible, Toronto's suburbs aren't that low density. School districts also aren't the sort of thing people think about when choosing their homes in the way they are in the US (you sound like that's where you're coming from), there's not usually a big difference in school quality.
That's interesting. Well if 2 acres is not feasible, certainly an area with large lots. Budget is about C$950k.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:17 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
You need to talk to a proper re-estate agent. I live on an above average lot by Toronto standards ... 50 feet by 190 feet (something like that) and the only way I grab something like this was with the help of a good agent that was spreading the word about what I was looking for so she would get the heaads up before things were listed. There are larger lots in my area, but around even a 1/4 of that size you are looking >1.5 to 2 Million plus. You are likely going to have to drive at least 45-60 minutes out of the city to even find that type of space if not furrther. If you do actually select some areas please let us know what area you end up in as I am really curious as to how far our you would have to go to even buy that space. Also what cost you would be looking at to buy that volume of space. Good luck.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:06 PM

5,896 posts, read 6,100,195 times
You're going to be looking at something around 0.15 acres for the suburbs along the Lakeshore East train line for that price, which is still a decent sized lot by Toronto standards (typical lots range from 0.04 to 0.25 acres). You may be able to find a 1/2-2 acre lot for that price in the very far flung areas like Ancaster or East Gwilimbury but that's going to be a really long commute (a hour? maybe even longer?).

Old 01-27-2017, 03:33 PM

26 posts, read 25,704 times
Try King city or Nobleton. Both have GO train access so commute won't be that bad if you work in DT. Great schools and large acre estates. 950,000 budget is def not enough if you want a upper middle class area. I mean townhouses can go for 1 millionish in Richmond Hill, Vaughn and Thornhill. To get what you want you need to probably get out of the GTA completely. You ideally need a time machine. Where my parents brought almost 15 years would be perfect for you (Yonge and Bloomington, border of RH and Aurora). Back then it was kind of the boonies. The older houses have very nice sized lots but everything with decent land is being sold of to developers. Unless you only have to come in to work 2 or 3 times a week try to be close to a GO station.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:11 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
King City

Nobleton

Caledon

Flamborough / Freelton

Carlisle .....my personal fave place with big lots. Like Palomino Ranch.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:56 AM

14 posts, read 16,088 times
You may have to leave the GTA to find this one! Some areas that may work to the east Whitby, Oshawa. West Cambridge/Kitchener and further west towards Woodstock. I'm a realtor and I can help you. Good luck with the job and I think you would just love Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto