Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 12:25 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina311 View Post
We live paycheck to paycheck and need a roommate to afford living in Lytton Park.
I have never heard anything nice about living in that area for single people who are renting.
If I was single that would not be my choice of locations.
Why would a single person want to live in an area known for high income families with kids?
Unless someone is working in that area as a care aid or nanny for a family not idea why anyone average income would want to pick this location.
You paying more to live by people that have way more money then you. Things are prices higher to push the average income people away lol.
I have an above average income and I would not want to live around there because I would be house poor.
That area tends to have really high income families ex $250 000 k plus ( at least on the books ). Everyone I know that lives in these types of areas finds the most creative ways to write of everything as a tax decuation ex nannies for teenagers and BS like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 04:33 PM

497 posts, read 422,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I have never heard anything nice about living in that area for single people who are renting.
Why would a single person want to live in an area known for high income families with kids?
Unless someone is working in that area as a care aid or nanny for a family not idea why anyone average income would want to pick this location.
You paying more to live by people that have way more money then you. Things are prices higher to push the average income people away lol.
I have an above average income and I would not want to live around there because I would be house poor.
That area tends to have really high income families ex $250 000 k plus ( at least on the books ). Everyone I know that lives in these types of areas finds the most creative ways to write of everything as a tax decuation ex nannies for teenagers and BS like that.
Where exactly is this area?

Old 12-01-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post
Where exactly is this area?

This area is located between Lawerence Ave and Eglinton Ave between Avenue Road and Young Street.
She happen to choose an exceptionally in appropriate area to live in for someone with an average income in my option. If you are on a buget living in this area will leave your wallet bleeding or make you really depressed as you will see all the nice places to eat and stores but not really able to be able to afford any of these items on your income.

I like nice stuff and did not want to be house poor so I would never think of living in this area.... especially if I had kids as I would be trying to keep up with the Jone's to the point of insanity.

This not an average income area.... it is a high income area. So if you are not high income or someone's nanny/ housekeeper which is getting their rent covered by their employer ... not really worth living there in my opinion.

My cousin and her husband where living in an appartment in the area when they where first married 15 years ago and their household income was at least $150 000 plus at the time and they got out after a year and decided to buy a town house in woodbridge as it was just bleeding them with no long term benefits. If they had stayed there they would have remained spending lots of money eating out and shopping and have nothing to show for it. Their woodbridge town house sold for $700 000 less then 10 years later and was purchass for $175 000. Renting is the key to getting no where finanically unless you are the person renting out the space to make a profit.

As someone newer to the city she likely did not know any better.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:42 AM

87 posts, read 114,490 times
Quote:
I agree that renting is a money suck, and that it's always better to buy if you have that option. But, the operative term is "if you have that option". If you cannot afford to buy, and you aren't able to live with family (for whatever reason) for little or no rent payments, you have no choice but to rent indefinitely. The mortgage that I'd qualify for, for example is only around x3 my salary, so about 150k. Unless I have a very substantial down payment, I would not be afford to afford any property in the GTA area (except for maybe low-income areas in Scarborough, but even those units are going for 250k+ nowadays).

A lot of people remain stuck renting, and can't get out of that rut. It's definitely not by choice.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:00 PM

Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanizorc View Post
I agree that renting is a money suck, and that it's always better to buy if you have that option. But, the operative term is "if you have that option". If you cannot afford to buy, and you aren't able to live with family (for whatever reason) for little or no rent payments, you have no choice but to rent indefinitely. The mortgage that I'd qualify for, for example is only around x3 my salary, so about 150k. Unless I have a very substantial down payment, I would not be afford to afford any property in the GTA area (except for maybe low-income areas in Scarborough, but even those units are going for 250k+ nowadays).

A lot of people remain stuck renting, and can't get out of that rut. It's definitely not by choice.
I do understand what you are saying... but in general people need to remember we live in a capotalistic society.

Only the strongest and fittest have and hold on to the most.

People that figure out a way to snap up and hold on to their piece of the pie do at whatever cost.

I grew up playing Monopoly and one thing it taught me is that to have a shot at winning the game you at least need to own a spot on the board. Even if you own the lowest priced property you still technically have a shot! Those who own none are whipped out the game first and they are sitting ducks.

Creative people will ALWAYS find a way in. It might not always be the most direct or simple way ... but they find a way in.

For example .... work more hours!

People that may less per hour to actually afford to get a property get part time jobs and have side businesses.

I have a higher then average income and have some other income avenues to help fule my bad spending habits ! When you are the underdog you got to work hard or work smarter to move up.

Ex Buying anything even the lower price condo in Scarborough gets you in the game. You build your equity and then you move up and on. You don't try to buy... the longer you wait the harder it gets and the more opportunity to build equity you loose out on!

Old 12-01-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I do understand what you are saying... but in general people need to remember we live in a capotalistic society.

Only the strongest and fittest have and hold on to the most.

People that figure out a way to snap up and hold on to their piece of the pie do at whatever cost.

I grew up playing Monopoly and one thing it taught me is that to have a shot at winning the game you at least need to own a spot on the board. Even if you own the lowest priced property you still technically have a shot! Those who own none are whipped out the game first and they are sitting ducks.

Creative people will ALWAYS find a way in. It might not always be the most direct or simple way ... but they find a way in.

For example .... work more hours!

People that may less per hour to actually afford to get a property get part time jobs and have side businesses.

I have a higher then average income and have some other income avenues to help fule my bad spending habits ! When you are the underdog you got to work hard or work smarter to move up.

Ex Buying anything even the lower price condo in Scarborough gets you in the game. You build your equity and then you move up and on. You don't try to buy... the longer you wait the harder it gets and the more opportunity to build equity you loose out on!
Capitalism is also the reason we have such a discrepancy between the rich and poor, and the population of have-nots is only increasing. However, I agree that one must try their best to participate in the game and stake their own as soon as possible, even if the game is rigged. Monopoly is not a perfect analogy for real life -- all players start out on a relatively even playing field, albeit randomized, which is hardly the case in reality. So many more factors complicate one's ability to purchase property in real life. I looked at smaller towns like Thunder Bay, Regina, Winnipeg, the East Coast, and I can actually afford property over there, but the issue is the job market...I'm in an industry where 95% of the jobs are in Toronto, and the other 5% are in Vancouver.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
An alternative to tech bootcamps (which are ridiculously overpriced) are resources online. The same tech bootcamp instructors create the same courses on Udemy (for example), but for a price of a lunch.

There is a free online bootcamp, https://www.freecodecamp.org/, (people self-study while holding other jobs). But if you are more comfortable with someone at least guiding you, I would recommend courses of Colt Steele on udemy.com (wait for a sale for $15). Especially "The complete Web Developer bootcamp". Colt is an extremely talented teacher, one of those golden nuggets of teachers that one rarely meets. It is the same amount of information that he taught at Galvanize bootcamp in San Francisco, for $14K - $21K.

There are SO many specializations in IT, and the ones that require the least time to learn to put your foot in the door, are on the design side (front-end developer). You definitely don't need a college or university for that. HTML, CSS, and frameworks (Bootstrap, jQuery). Full time, for a complete beginner, it may take 1-3 months. Part time, 3-6 months. Starting, junior salaries start at $45K.

After you finish the online bootcamp, depending on how comfortable you will be feeling (if not quite - still more Udemy courses and free youtube programming tutorials), with some portfolio under your belt - you can find a job within 1-6 months, in those IT-hungry areas of the country. Read articles on Medium - people share how they turned their lives around, how they were looking for a job, how they found a job.... Like this one:

https://medium.freecodecamp.org/my-j...i-4a7fd2ff5503
Thanks a bunch for this info! Yeah, I'm looking for cheaper ways to learn the same stuff that tech bootcamps teach. They're too expensive for me, esp since OSAP won't cover it (~10k+). Lots of free materials online, I know, but the reason I was drawn to in-person courses is that, as a newbie just starting out, I feel much more comfortable with a hands-on guide. Sometimes I just don't know where to start, which concepts to teach myself first, etc...

Old 12-01-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifetimeGTA View Post
If I were you, I'd study data science online like crazy. There are tons of courses, many of them free, some from the very top programs (Stanford, Berkeley, MIT). It's a field that every company of any size is going to need someone who can work in.

Personally, I'd stay away from just "coding", or "IT" in general because there are zillions of competitors and many great ones you can get for less than $5 hr. I've built two companies doing it.
I realize that programming now has a lot of competition, and that as a result, programmers can't really expect high salaries anymore. I still want to learn though, as I really want to start an online-based project/business (need to build the website myself and everything) on the side. My idea has been festering for a long time. A career in software development/engineering would be a by-product, albeit the primary one if the side project doesn't go as planned. Anyhow, the tech field is still more lucrative than the career I'm in now.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:37 AM

6 posts, read 7,352 times
Pretty tough to live in the city unless you make at least $50,000 a year.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:31 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto8 View Post
Pretty tough to live in the city unless you make at least $50,000 a year.
If you want to live on your own absolutely. It is possible to get by on a min wage job but you'd have to take on roommates. Pretty much every single person I know who doesn't live at home and makes a lower wage income lives with Roommates. TBH for many of the larger cities of similar size to Toronto in N.A that is probably the case and certainly Vancouver. Montreal has been more affordable but I've read recently that rents in Montreal have gone up more than 15 percent (highest jump among large cities in Canada) in the last year and given the rosy economic situation there this will probably continue. If you want to live in the big city in this country you are going to pay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto