Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 10:09 PM

295 posts, read 263,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
Have you ever lived in Toronto? It seems that you have too much theoretical knowledge without any practical substance. Ignorance at best, sorry...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 11:02 PM

398 posts, read 381,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
Have you ever lived in Toronto? It seems that you have too much theoretical knowledge without any practical substance. Ignorance at best, sorry...

Lol, very sorry stuff.

Instead of responding directly to my facts (which you clearly can't retort), you resort with a personal insult. The only ignorant one is the guy who called a compact city with 11k people/square mile and sky high public transit ridership "not walkable and very sprawling," lolol.

Seems you don't know your own city too well, bud.

Last edited by Codederick; 08-30-2017 at 11:16 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 11:36 PM

295 posts, read 263,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post

Lol, very sorry stuff.

Instead of responding directly to my facts (which you clearly can't retort), you resort with a personal insult. The only ignorant one is the guy who called a compact city with 11k people/square mile and sky high public transit ridership "not walkable and very sprawling," lolol.

Seems you don't know your own city too well, bud.
It seems that you have never been to Toronto - come here and see how walkable is 20 km from North York to Downtown. And by the way, the majority of the people who work downtown are living in suburbs, that are even farther away - 30, 40 km. For some it can take 1 hour - 1 hour and half one way by TTC. And I don't want to start to talk about TTC - it is absolutely not enough for Toronto. The last TTC station has been built almost 40 years ago.

I have just come back from Dusseldorf - this city is really walkable (10km x 5km), has 1/5 of Toronto population, 1/10 of Toronto area and probably 2-3 times more public transit. It also have a 5 km tunnel going under city center and several autobahns. That is called modern infrastructure and walkable city.

There is no insult intended - I don't understand why you argue about city that you have never lived or even been. I say nothing about Connecticut or Chicago.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:20 AM

47 posts, read 38,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Yes, that's what I was talking about (like the chicken parm from Loblaws). Trust me, if you don't want to cook, you won't have to cook.
Nice! Thanks a lot!

Old 08-31-2017, 10:15 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addzz View Post
Nice! Thanks a lot!
Really? Regarding the chicken parma?
I find there premade items at Loblaws, Sobeys, Longos really low quality and high priced.

For the cost I would much rather buy from California Sandwiches or Pusateri's.

Then again even when the menu is the same different chain locations make stuff so differently. Most of the time it boils down to the actually staff at the location and the equipment they use. It can be like night and day. What Loblaws is being referred too?

Old 08-31-2017, 11:56 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Really? Regarding the chicken parma?
I find there premade items at Loblaws, Sobeys, Longos really low quality and high priced.

For the cost I would much rather buy from California Sandwiches or Pusateri's.

Then again even when the menu is the same different chain locations make stuff so differently. Most of the time it boils down to the actually staff at the location and the equipment they use. It can be like night and day. What Loblaws is being referred too?
It's not even in Toronto -- it's in Ottawa... in Barrhaven. It's really yummy.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:24 PM

398 posts, read 381,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
It seems that you have never been to Toronto - come here and see how walkable is 20 km from North York to Downtown. And by the way, the majority of the people who work downtown are living in suburbs, that are even farther away - 30, 40 km. For some it can take 1 hour - 1 hour and half one way by TTC. And I don't want to start to talk about TTC - it is absolutely not enough for Toronto. The last TTC station has been built almost 40 years ago.

I have just come back from Dusseldorf - this city is really walkable (10km x 5km), has 1/5 of Toronto population, 1/10 of Toronto area and probably 2-3 times more public transit. It also have a 5 km tunnel going under city center and several autobahns. That is called modern infrastructure and walkable city.

There is no insult intended - I don't understand why you argue about city that you have never lived or even been. I say nothing about Connecticut or Chicago.
Another assumption, lol.

While I have never lived in Toronto, I have I visited it. Stayed at the hotel built into the Rogers Centre. I don't need to live in a city to comment on it, the same way I don't need to be an electrical engineer to know how to turn on a lightbulb.

EDIT: LOL, I'm not suggesting that someone walks 20 KM. That would be absurd. It would be equivalent to saying NYC is not a walkable city b/c Queens is 20 KM from Manhattan. What I'm saying is that the individual neighborhoods are walkable and that the public transit is strong. You'd take the subway from North York to Downtown. Toronto has the 4th highest rapid public transit ridership in North America for a reason. It's a compact, walkable city with zero need for a car. Regarding your example, of people living in the suburbs, in that case, of course, they'd need a car. But going back to OP's example, he/she is talking about living AND working in Toronto proper.

The fact remains is that you called a compact city with a high walk score, high public transit score, and 11,000 people/square mile "sprawling and not walkable" which is patently false.

Last edited by Codederick; 08-31-2017 at 12:34 PM..

Old 08-31-2017, 01:50 PM

909 posts, read 1,152,600 times
I don't know if Toronto's high cost of living is worth it to be honest. A lot of people say they are willing to spend more to be in a big city but I don't know if the super high rent and home prices for average salaries justifies it and if Toronto is truly nice enough to be worth the high cost. If someone were rich, I can see Toronto being a nice fit for them if they have a home somewhere in a upscale area. But I know people value different things. It's just I personally don't think it would be worth it but I say the same for Vancouver even though it has the ocean and beautiful scenery and nature surrounding the city. If people want to live in a big city, why not choose Montreal? It has a much lower cost of living than Toronto even after factoring taxes and presumably lower salaries. Or if you don't mind a more mid-sized city, Ottawa can be a good option for a much lower cost of living than Toronto plus it's relatively close to Toronto and Montreal for big events. There are so many cities in Canada with a lower cost of living than Toronto and can be even be more attractive than Toronto as well. And using the argument for jobs, it is true Toronto has the most jobs, but it is also the most competitive because of the huge population, so that sort of balances itself out.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:08 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I don't know if Toronto's high cost of living is worth it to be honest. A lot of people say they are willing to spend more to be in a big city but I don't know if the super high rent and home prices for average salaries justifies it and if Toronto is truly nice enough to be worth the high cost. If someone were rich, I can see Toronto being a nice fit for them if they have a home somewhere in a upscale area. But I know people value different things. It's just I personally don't think it would be worth it but I say the same for Vancouver even though it has the ocean and beautiful scenery and nature surrounding the city. If people want to live in a big city, why not choose Montreal? It has a much lower cost of living than Toronto even after factoring taxes and presumably lower salaries. Or if you don't mind a more mid-sized city, Ottawa can be a good option for a much lower cost of living than Toronto plus it's relatively close to Toronto and Montreal for big events. There are so many cities in Canada with a lower cost of living than Toronto and can be even be more attractive than Toronto as well. And using the argument for jobs, it is true Toronto has the most jobs, but it is also the most competitive because of the huge population, so that sort of balances itself out.
So many good points and, as you said, it's based on what's important to you.

I'm originally from Montreal and the only answer to your question of "why not choose Montreal?" would be "if you don't speak French." That said, I don't speak French, lived in Montreal just fine, but chose to move to Ottawa because my family is here and the tax saving in Ontario vs. Quebec is huge for me.

Your post is bang-on right.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:34 PM

497 posts, read 422,112 times
I wish the OP would come back and update us. I saw that there is home issues and this is about him and what he need to do for himself and safety.

I hope he took a big step to get a place and continue to work hard to afford the GTA area.

OP please update us and I do care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto