Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 05:14 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machjo View Post
True enough. Thanks.
No worries. I used to be an editor. I still have my decoder ring so that I can infer whatever is implied. I know someone who once told me that she hears what she wants to hear. You cay "white" and she'll adamantly hear "black." (It's annoying!) As an editor, I read it how you meant it to be read, even if it wasn't written that way.

Back on topic: It's interesting that 43% of males reported unwanted sexual advances. Like the article says, it really is something that men don't talk about. (Some women don't either, but not like men.) I suppose they think that it's a sign of weakness. I don't think that it is -- I think it's weak to hide it. But I understand why they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machjo View Post
I can think of a few ways to reduce the occurrence of sexual coercion (which according to my definition includes sexual assault). Some of them might be extreme, but this is just a brainstorm anyway. I'm not saying I'm necessarily right.

1. Make students aware that both sexes abuse, both sexes are abused, sexual coercion affects the mental health of both men and women, and abuse increases the risk of a victim becoming a perpetrator regardless of sex.

2. Include sex-addiction education in sex education courses including its causes (e.g. emotional, physical, and sexual abuse of both boys and girls and men and women), symptoms (e.g. PTSD, OCD, OPB, and escalating compulsive sexual and other behaviours which can even include obsessive sexual avoidance which is not to be confused with abstinence, and addiction switching), and known remedies (e.g. 12-step groups and other therapies among many others). Though this might seem extreme, let's consider that if the statistics show such high rates of sexual coercion of both men and women, and if studies show that victims often become perpetrators, then we can conclude that many children sitting in those classrooms either have been or will become victims of sexual coercion, and that many of those who are abused may develop unhealthy sexual or other compulsive feelings that increase the risk of them abusing others. Furthermore, those who might already have compulsive sexual feelings might have difficulty understanding them and how to express them in a healthy way.
Agree and agreed. I know someone -- a man, actually -- who would have benefited from that, to better understand why he did the things that he did. Unfortunately, even in such a liberal world, so many things like this (another example: suicide) are cloaked in shame. If we were more open about it, if people could learn, at least some pain, deviance, etc. could be eliminated.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:48 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Exclamation .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Agree and agreed. I know someone -- a man, actually -- who would have benefited from that, to better understand why he did the things that he did. Unfortunately, even in such a liberal world, so many things like this (another example: suicide) are cloaked in shame. If we were more open about it, if people could learn, at least some pain, deviance, etc. could be eliminated.
I think we are talking about different generations.
I have a 11 year old and do walk some teen marketing things as a result.
Kids and teans are WAY more aware of these things then we give them credit for.
If you want any of these teen catered shows they talk about many of these topics ( minus sex addiction .... I have not seen that specifically yet).
They have so much access to information that many of them could school older generations on various topics related to mental health, gender identity etc.
This topics that were new to us ... are not that new to them. They have grown up with these things being discussed.
I think we underestimate how much kids and teens already know. I do agree with the idea on filtering the information to ensure they are getting the right message... but let's not underestimate how much information they are exposed too.

ex Degrassi
ex 13 Reaons ( I would suggest for everyone)

If you are a parent on a kid/teen you need to be aware of these shows.

Popular cutlure usually highly influences your child's life so need to be aware of what is popular for those age groups.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I think we are talking about different generations.
I have a 11 year old and do walk some teen marketing things as a result.
Kids and teans are WAY more aware of these things then we give them credit for.
If you want any of these teen catered shows they talk about many of these topics ( minus sex addiction .... I have not seen that specifically yet).
They have so much access to information that many of them could school older generations on various topics related to mental health, gender identity etc.
This topics that were new to us ... are not that new to them. They have grown up with these things being discussed.
I think we underestimate how much kids and teens already know. I do agree with the idea on filtering the information to ensure they are getting the right message... but let's not underestimate how much information they are exposed too.

ex Degrassi
ex 13 Reaons ( I would suggest for everyone)

If you are a parent on a kid/teen you need to be aware of these shows.

Popular cutlure usually highly influences your child's life so need to be aware of what is popular for those age groups.
That's absolutely true. You're right. The man that I was speaking about is from our generation.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:39 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
That's absolutely true. You're right. The man that I was speaking about is from our generation.
I totally butchered my point when writing that as I was just about to meet someone and it was a now or never moment lol.

I see more and more as a parent I need to be asking more questiins and providing clarifications rather then be introducing the topic.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:10 AM

45 posts, read 76,291 times
Sexual harassment is never acceptable in Canada. Arguing from a particular instance and drawing such a general conclusion is not only bad reasoning, it's also unfair. That is, at a single event, or at a certain type of event, you notice some women harassing men (and probably the reverse too). You then assume it is a characteristic of that city. If you are not assuming that, then the question is trollish.

I suggest you think first about the company you keep. The more interesting question is why some people attending a mass event think it is all right to behave outside of their society's norms. It has to do with the mass mentality, and many people simply avoid it knowing that it is unpredictable and often unpleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto