U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 04:07 PM

4 posts, read 10,809 times

Advertisements

Hi, our family is considering a move to the Toronto area. My husband will be working in the Sheppard & Yonge area. Any recommendation on good neighbourhoods within easy commuting distance? (within an hour) Our goal is a 4 bedroom house in the $350K or less range. Only finding houses in the Brampton & Ajax/Pickering areas so far.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 06:40 PM

9,594 posts, read 25,193,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunoz View Post
Hi, our family is considering a move to the Toronto area. My husband will be working in the Sheppard & Yonge area. Any recommendation on good neighbourhoods within easy commuting distance? (within an hour) Our goal is a 4 bedroom house in the $350K or less range. Only finding houses in the Brampton & Ajax/Pickering areas so far.
Sheppard and Younge? Isn't that in the middle of Toronto's north end?

If so, keep heading north and the prices should drop off.

*When you head east from Brampton or west from Ajax you have to pass by 1 million people on your way to work. If you're coming from the north you should see less than half the amount of people.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:37 PM

I have been keeping an eye on the Newmarket & Aurora areas as well but don't see much on the market in my price range. Can anyone give some insight on these communities? Looking for a newer home (built in the last 10 years or so) and a good family area.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:55 AM

5 posts, read 25,136 times
Have you done a search on MLS.ca ? Unfortunately, $350,000 may not get you the type of house you desire. Commuting is going to be part of your husband's daily routine. However, Yonge and Sheppard is easy to commute to both by GO transit and Toronto Transit. If he is going to commute by train, then you are going to want to find a place close to one of the Go stations. Driving to Yonge and Sheppard can be a real headache not to mention the high cost of parking. How far is he willing to travel to work? I'm an appraiser and a realtor and have helped buy homes for employees being transferred (mostly from Montreal to Toronto) and know that it is important to really narrow down your "must haves" from your "wish list." Example; must have a Catholic school in walking distance but would also love to have a house with a fireplace. If you are not working with someone, I'd be happy to key in your criteria and set you up on an automatic search that will send you listings daily. If you are working with someone already, ask them to do search for places close to one of the GO stations. By commuting by train, it will allow you to expand your search. If you go to Gotransit.com it will give you the train schedules and stations and you can use that info to help narrow things down.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:36 AM

215 posts, read 1,599,885 times
Quote:
Most of the city is within an hour transit ride from here. The Sheppard Subway line runs from here out to Fairview Mall. It's a short trip, and people often call this line the "Stubway" It is quick and not very full on passengers, so anywhere along the line is good to live. If your driving then anywhere north of eglinton should be fine.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:24 PM

207 posts, read 706,888 times
Quote:
I have been keeping an eye on the Newmarket & Aurora areas as well but don't see much on the market in my price range. Can anyone give some insight on these communities? Looking for a newer home (built in the last 10 years or so) and a good family area.
If you are looking for a home in Richmond Hill, Aurora you will not find a single home in your price range. Few examples both sold two weeks ago:

1)
1900 square feet single
3 beds 2 1/2 bath
31x 110 lot
5-7 yrs old
Yonge and King road
$439,000 asking price
Sold in less than 24 hours at (98.4% asking price)
2)
2600 square feet single
4 beds 2 1/2 bath
41x128 lot
5-7 yrs old
Yonge and King road
$548,000 Asking price
Sold in 1 week multiple offers at (98.5% asking price)

Both of these houses has full offer price but the owners chose to work with lower offer due to cleaner contract (no condition)

Old 03-17-2008, 06:55 PM

I'm not sure how to do multiple quotes so excuse my copy paste method.

Have you done a search on MLS.ca ?

Yes, ad nauseam. Actually found quite a bit to the east & Brampton that meets my criteria & price range

If you are not working with someone, I'd be happy to key in your criteria and set you up on an automatic search that will send you listings daily.

Thanks, but it will be an in house transfer, have to go with the appointed Realtor

The Sheppard Subway line runs from here out to Fairview Mall

I'm quite familiar with east & west but afraid I have never ventured much past Sheppard/ Downsview area Where is the Fairview Mall?

If you are looking for a home in Richmond Hill, Aurora you will not find a single home in your price range.

Much as I'd love to live in Richmond Hill, I know that just ain't gonna happen

Pickering/Ajax may well be the way to go...any opinions on the east? And do they even list houses in Oakville? We have quite a few friends in Burlington, but I can only find homes for sale in these areas that are a little exorbitant I would think that given the commute, the prices should be on par with Whitby/Oshawa.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:53 PM

Farview mall is at the intersection of highways 404 and 401.

Be weary when moving to Brampton, or the York Region (Aurora, Richmond hill, etc) These are growing areas, and if you want a "peaceful area" be aware that thousands of others looking for a "peaceful area" will end up moving to the same place.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:54 PM

What are your thoughts on the Etobicoke area?

Old 03-18-2008, 11:30 PM

It's diverse. Rexdale (northern etobicoke) is a little more "poor" then the central and southern areas. Overall it's a very middle-class place. My boss' boss lives in south etobicoke, and he drives to work (yonge and finch, just north of sheppard) every day without any problems, as traffic generally heads south along the main highway in etobicoke, while he is heading north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto