Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 11:13 AM

866 posts, read 2,484,565 times

Advertisements

Where do people in this city buy good quality but not way overpriced furniture? I would really really prefer not to have to build any more furniture, I'm too old for that, so I need delivery with set up too. I've looked in Urban Barn, Structube, the usual rip-offs PB and RH, even The Bay...

What are the local/Canadian gems I haven't heard about?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 12:50 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,845 times
I type a really great response... but lost it. So here is a quick and dirty 2nd draft.

New:
Most stores have a clearence section. Head to the clearence section first. If might be a floor model or they just might need to make room for new items... regardless you can get great deals.

Outlet stores. Most brands/chains have an outlet loction. Look for the outlet location and you could be saving huge.

My top picks for furniture in Toronto are Ashley, Bombay, Urban Barn. I prefer vintage well made solid peices at huge discounts though and have moved in the resale area for furniture now.

Urban Barn has a outlet are Scarborough Town Centre and the others have outlet loctions in the Ontario.

Resale:

Letgo
Kijiji
Craig's list
Value village
Salvation Arm
Other thirft store
Antique Stores ( though can usually be marked up a lot and they usually get their stuff from the same places menetioned about, but do minor touch ups and blow the price up to make a profit).

I don't need any furniture now ... but am continually flipping pieces to get a more custome look.

If you want character, quality and rock bottom prices the best option is resale.

You need to ensure you inspect the items before purchase carefully... but it can seriously lead to some great finds.

Very few places made realy wood quality furniture anymore. That is personally why I am gradually obtaining vintage solid wood character peices to mix in with the generic big box stuff to provide a more custom high end vibe on a budget.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:13 AM

27 posts, read 23,829 times
If you go to the Chesterfield shop they have a huge selection of sofas and furniture in their clearance section that are reasonably priced. You can also contact Brooklyn's furniture, if you find something you like they can purchase it on your behalf at a much reduced price.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:40 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,070,814 times
Try GH Johnson near Dupont and Ossington. Also keep an eye out for those 24 hour sales at the big retailers like the Bay because you can get a great deal on good furniture if you're lucky.

Just keep in mind that quality furniture--stuff made with hardwoods and good construction--are usually pricey as hell. They always have been. Most of the stuff at Leon's and The Brick are garbage, but if you read the fine print about construction materials you'll always find one of two items that are better than the others and still affordable. Made in Canada stuff is always the better choice.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:17 PM

5 posts, read 4,880 times
Smile Furniture in Toronto

Finding good quality furniture at a good price is easier said than done. Affordable furniture from Ikea, Structube, etc is easy on the pocketbook, but you definitely sacrifice quality of materials. On the other hand, higher quality furniture comes with a higher pricetag.

Finding the sweetspot of good price AND good quality is way trickier.

I would start at Elte Mkt, Elte Warehouse, Shelter Furniture, EQ3, GH Johnson, Modern Sense Furniture , Decorium and Urban Barn

For links and to find other stores, I would also recommend checking out the store listings on Interior Design Toronto. Here is a link to their page on seating...couches, chairs, etc

[url]https://www.interiordesign.to/furniture-seating-chairs-sofas[/url]

Old 04-02-2018, 12:26 AM

59 posts, read 39,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks77 View Post
i buy everything online, furniture is no exception
is a furniture expensive in Toronto ?
can you give me a link to the website(s) so i can see prices...

Old 04-30-2018, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,467 times
Furniture is really expensive in Toronto, but you can buy some affordable brand new from Ikea or Chinese furniture stores. Also, you can find more on Kijiji for some used furniture with good condition.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:46 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,845 times
Lightbulb .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocherpopey View Post
Furniture is really expensive in Toronto, but you can buy some affordable brand new from Ikea or Chinese furniture stores. Also, you can find more on Kijiji for some used furniture with good condition.
People need to decided if their goal is quality items they want to keep or just a quick fit.

I am really pro getting second hand furniture as long as long leather or fabric.

If it still functioning after all these years it is well made. What a couple youtube videos or check out a few website for ideas. Go to the dollar store or Canadian tire buy some items cheap supplies and DYI the heck out of it.

A lot of the trendy furniture stores in Toronto grab stuff off the side of the road... or get items from resale websites and thrift stores do some minor touch up and mark it up 90%.

I do NOT like Ikea furniture or many of the current big box furniture stores as the items are not even make with quality material and if they get wet they are going to crumble.

Some of my favourite pieces in my home I got a value village, salvation army or the side of the road ( not even kidding) and touched up. If you watch designers like Sarah Richardson ... this is exactly what these guys are doing. It looks amazing and it is cheap. Also got a lot of stuff on clearance for reason like they were floor model or minor scratch ( which I could fix).

Another plus is if you buy someone cheap and you get bored of it or damage it ... it is not the end of the world. When I broke my $3000 pull out bed Italian Leather Coach I bought from the Brick I was angry ( NEVER AGAIN) or my $2000 leather coach from Sears that started to peel very angry ( NEVER AGAIN).

If you don't have a large budget you need to get creative if you want quality.

If you check out craiglist or kijiji there are often people giving stuff away for free or curb side alters letting you know about items left out for anyone to take.

We throw away too much good stuff in land fills.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,747 times
We look for good quality modern furniture and restore it where ever possible. EQ3 is a good Canadian brand for new items. They make a lot of furniture to order, but it's worth the wait.

Can't help in Toronto area (yet!), but for folks in Vancouver we have a growing range of modern and mid-century modern furniture. High quality stuff that has been gently used, or fully restored.

Jon

--
Buy and sell beautiful modern furniture
https://www.hausmodern.ca

Old 06-26-2020, 07:28 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,069 times
The only place to buy furniture is Facebook Marketplace. Same with drapes and drapery hardware and rugs.

Millennials don't care a thing for their parents' furniture and they don't have room to store when the parents pass. Furniture treasures are just so easy to find online close to home--filtered by location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto