Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 05:41 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's because everywhere in Montreal is technically a "beer store"!

But seriously though, it's a problem at Beer Stores and LCBO liquor stores in Ottawa too.

And more broadly homelessness seems to be a growing problem in Ottawa and Montreal as well.

So it seems like no place is immune. Except maybe Quebec City I guess...
Why not in Quebec City?

Can you still smoke inside public places in Quebec?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 05:49 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
I can't believe the post I'm reading. Can't be in Canada. This thread is from an alternative opposite universe somewhere. Like a Canada/US merging take-over, or assimilated as a United American-Canadian federation.....

Or just that American contamination is leaching into Canada and needs a wall built and make America pay for it .... and jamming the airwaves of American damnable influences. At least immigrants aren't being blamed ...... yet.

Last edited by DavePa; 06-20-2018 at 06:11 PM..

Old 06-20-2018, 06:17 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I can't believe the post I'm reading. Can't be in Canada. This thread is from an alternative opposite universe somewhere. Like a Canada/US merging take-over, or assimilated as a United American-Canadian federation.....

Or just that American contamination is leaching into Canada and needs a wall built and make America pay for it .... and jamming the airwaves of American damnable influences. At least immigrants aren't being blamed ...... yet.
I am not following.
I don't want to be tripping over people paid out on a sleeping bag while walking through Yorkville so what can I tell you.

Actually most of the homeless people I observe in Toronto are white/ anglo or aboriginal ( but most white) which to me is a real red flag that they are not likely actually people that were born and raised in Toronto vs people that drifted in to the city from other parts of the province.

I don't understand why the system is just letting a lot of these clearly mentally ill people roam around the city like the crazy cat lady in the Simpson's.

I just encountered someone like that about an hour ago. I am not sure why he is being allow to roam around like that when he could be kept in a care facility where is be taken care of. That is shameful to leave this clearly incompetent sick man to be roaming the street like that.

I have to ask further about that the above situation as it makes no sense. How is someone like that being left to fend for themselves in the community. He was not intoxicated he is mentally ill. If someone is deemed mentally ill to the extent then how do they get taken in to custody to be cared for?

I will fill you guys in when I find out the answer.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:49 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I am not following.
I don't want to be tripping over people paid out on a sleeping bag while walking through Yorkville so what can I tell you.

Actually most of the homeless people I observe in Toronto are white/ anglo or aboriginal ( but most white) which to me is a real red flag that they are not likely actually people that were born and raised in Toronto vs people that drifted in to the city from other parts of the province.

I don't understand why the system is just letting a lot of these clearly mentally ill people roam around the city like the crazy cat lady in the Simpson's.

I just encountered someone like that about an hour ago. I am not sure why he is being allow to roam around like that when he could be kept in a care facility where is be taken care of. That is shameful to leave this clearly incompetent sick man to be roaming the street like that.

I have to ask further about that the above situation as it makes no sense. How is someone like that being left to fend for themselves in the community. He was not intoxicated he is mentally ill. If someone is deemed mentally ill to the extent then how do they get taken in to custody to be cared for?

I will fill you guys in when I find out the answer.
My post was more about humor (humour) in that Canadian cities Americans are accustomed to being told it is much more a utopia and not the issues in US cities.

Why I couldn't believe homeless exist in Canada (even if very low vs the US, or they'd be guided to a nice bed and Meal shelter and temporary housing till the system found them new abodes and free medical care and meds. A no Canadian left behind .... like in the US issues.

I agree many have mental issues and lost souls from previously productive lives perhaps? Being the US is exploding with this issue. I should not joke. But still it was not expected what I read.

I never mentioned race as it clearly is ALL even in the US.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:40 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Why not in Quebec City?

Can you still smoke inside public places in Quebec?
No you can't.

You can't smoke on outdoor restaurant and bar patios anymore either.

No idea why Quebec City has so very few vagrancy problems.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Actually most of the homeless people I observe in Toronto are white/ anglo or aboriginal ( but most white) .

This tends to be the profile in Ottawa as well.

In Montreal there seem to be fewer aboriginals in the homeless population, and interestingly enough a high proportion seem to be white anglos for some reason. Certainly higher than the white anglo proportion of the city's overall population. Of course there are lots of francophones among Montreal's homeless too.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
My post was more about humor (humour) in that Canadian cities Americans are accustomed to being told it is much more a utopia and not the issues in US cities.

For a variety of reasons, the "milk and honey" image no longer applies to a number of Canadian cities.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:08 PM

669 posts, read 321,195 times
I haven't noticed that extra much lately. Even where I work at Yonge n Bloor area.

But if you want to see the Canadian Mecca of homeless people, Vancouver is the place. With it's warm weather, I can see why pan handlers love it there. Probably also taking advantage of the weather here in TO.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:54 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Medicine Hat is technically without homeless people. If you are homeless the city will find you a place to live. Once you have an address you can get help with your addictions or mental health issues as well as having an address to put on job applications. Our mayor was sold on the idea from a focal prespective. I believe we are in the 7th year of yhis program. Salt Lake City has a similar program.

Many addicts, drug or alchol, have mental or emotional issues that lead them to where they are now. We closed group homes and mental institutions hoping that they could cope without help and now they are on the streets as disgards.

Medicine Hat has hot summers but winters warmer than Calgary or Edmonton. Of course it's not perfect but it does save money, monies spent on policing, courts and hospital er visits apparently pays for the program. Many of the homeless are eligible for government assistance such as pensions, disability pensions, assisted living help and of course wrlfare, the same as people with homes are eligible for. The latest news on this program is less emphasis on finding homes and more with finding employment.

Perhaps it's a system more cities should try, especially places like Saskatoon, Regina and Edmonton where winters are not homeless person friendly.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:53 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Homelessness is exploding everywhere nowadays! The situation here in DT Windsor has become very bad lately,with so many homeless people, drug addicted zombies, and beggars on many street corners! It’s become out of control, and it is now causing crimes to spike, especially DT.
I'm really disappointed to read these things are happening in Windsor. I've always considered Windsor to be some kind of utopia despite its proximity to Detroit. It seems like the Detroit problems that Detroit has are spilling over into Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto