Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 10:19 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Not all Canadians. Can't stand the place.
Broad generalizations Nat. We all know you're a unique and special flower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 10:23 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
You need to amend that to the lower mainland. There's a whole lot of BC that is VERY not vegan.
Certainly there is more of a concentration of vegan places in bigger cities just because of numbers, but it's surprising to see Vegan restaurants, or restaurant with vegan choices almost anywhere. Heck even Prince Rupert has restaurants with vegan options.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
LOL...a unique and special flower with good taste

Old 07-31-2018, 10:39 AM

I think there will be some protests. Not people out in the street, but people making others aware of the history of the chain and whether or not they want their money spent there.

I personally wouldn't. I try and spend my money as best as I can in ways that go along with my belief system. You can't always do that, or know every connection to every business, but you can at least try.

As for another chicken place..risky I'd say. There are enough places, chains and non-chains that serve every kind of chicken, etc.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:30 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Generalizations are essential to understanding the world we live in and the societies that comprise it. I don't mind them at all.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:33 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I think there will be some protests. Not people out in the street, but people making others aware of the history of the chain and whether or not they want their money spent there.

I personally wouldn't. I try and spend my money as best as I can in ways that go along with my belief system. You can't always do that, or know every connection to every business, but you can at least try.

As for another chicken place..risky I'd say. There are enough places, chains and non-chains that serve every kind of chicken, etc.
But there isn't any fast food/restaurant market that's as competitive as the U.S., and Chick-Fil-A does just fine down there.

The only risk is if the chain's critics here in Canada succeed in creating a stigma about the brand. Otherwise they'll do fine. (And they might still do fine even if a stigma takes root. Look at Walmart.)

Old 07-31-2018, 11:44 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times
Why is Popeye's so popular in Western Canada? Why did it succeed so well? If those questions are answered then it may determine why Chick-Fil-A decided to give Canada a go.

My hunch is that Canada is under-served by fried chicken restaurants. My observation is the burger market is saturated there so it's only natural that people choose chicken.

Also, I don't know if Chick-Fil-A is halal but Popeye's is and for people that have that dietary requirement, it makes Popeye's appealing. Popeye's is the most popular chain restaurant in Turkey right now and as the Middle Eastern population soars in Canada chicken will become more common as it is in the US. I imagine Coptic Christians would support Chick-Fil-A. Most of Popeye's support in the US is from African Americans or Southerners but if the taste is good people like it. Chick-Fil-A has darn good chicken and fries and again the base of support is the South but everywhere it's been expanding people like its product.

Just look at how many Popeyes are in Istanbul for instance:
https://www.google.com/maps/search/p...2927346,10.78z

Old 07-31-2018, 11:49 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times
Quote:
You need to amend that to the lower mainland. There's a whole lot of BC that is VERY not vegan.
BC is metro Vancouver. The rest of the province is sparsely populated. The tastes and mores of Vancouver are very much in line with California granola vegan tastes.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
But there isn't any fast food/restaurant market that's as competitive as the U.S., and Chick-Fil-A does just fine down there.

The only risk is if the chain's critics here in Canada succeed in creating a stigma about the brand. Otherwise they'll do fine. (And they might still do fine even if a stigma takes root. Look at Walmart.)
True, but it's still a large market where they have more locations in certain US markets than others.

48 locations in Atlanta, but only 5 in NYC. 5 in LA etc, which are both larger cities than Atlanta.

Toronto is an unknown, but it's more like NYC than Atlanta. It may go the way of Krispy Kreme, huge intentions, but so far not any real presence in Canada.

As for Walmart, I have only stepped into one while in the US years ago.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Why is Popeye's so popular in Western Canada? Why did it succeed so well? If those questions are answered then it may determine why Chick-Fil-A decided to give Canada a go.

My hunch is that Canada is under-served by fried chicken restaurants. My observation is the burger market is saturated there so it's only natural that people choose chicken.

Also, I don't know if Chick-Fil-A is halal but Popeye's is and for people that have that dietary requirement, it makes Popeye's appealing. Popeye's is the most popular chain restaurant in Turkey right now and as the Middle Eastern population soars in Canada chicken will become more common as it is in the US. I imagine Coptic Christians would support Chick-Fil-A. Most of Popeye's support in the US is from African Americans or Southerners but if the taste is good people like it. Chick-Fil-A has darn good chicken and fries and again the base of support is the South but everywhere it's been expanding people like its product.

Just look at how many Popeyes are in Istanbul for instance:
https://www.google.com/maps/search/p...2927346,10.78z
I had never heard of Popeyes and can't seem to find any locations in BC at all. Wonder why? Are they planning any?

Last edited by Natnasci; 07-31-2018 at 12:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto