Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 06:52 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times

Advertisements

Here’s a Wikipedia article about Canada’s gun laws.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Canada

It seems like they started after the Red River Rebellion.

Canada never had the culture of violence that existed in the US since our early days. Maybe it has to do with where the immigrants came from in Great Britain. Read “Albion’s Seed”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 02:17 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
KLMRocks, thanks for posting about this. I think that is great news. Now I hope the same thing will happen in other cities in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Oh, I don't know. Maybe they go to the western provinces to waterfowl hunt or elsewhere for larger game (I know people who go to Canada to bear hunt, part of Canadian tourism).

Maybe they are target shooters.

Do you expect the bad guys to turn in their guns?

I don't really care what happens in Toronto but I just think it's an interesting study.
You know this is all about hand guns, right, not long guns?

Hunting with hand guns? Not likely. Hunters don't use hand guns for hunting waterfowl and big game. Only a really ignorant, stupid, inexperienced wannabee hunter with a death wish would intend to use hand guns for hunting animals. REAL hunters who take hand guns with them when they go hunting only carry them for emergency back-up, like for immediate self protection at close range in the event of a sudden close up attack from something.

Hand guns might get used for target practice but that's not the reason why hand guns were ever invented. There is only one reason that hand guns ever were and still are manufactured and that is strictly for the purpose of humans killing other humans at relatively close range. Target practice with hand guns is just something that became a hobby for hand gun owners who are not peace enforcers (who actually are required to target practice) or else gun-nuts with fantasies of being vigilante angels of death who don't think of it as a hobby.

Bad guys may not turn in their hand guns but they won't be happy campers if they can't use them as often as they'd like if they can't so easily obtain ammunition or the means to make their own ammunition for their hand guns.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:20 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
KLMRocks, thanks for posting about this. I think that is great news. Now I hope the same thing will happen in other cities in Canada.

You know this is all about hand guns, right, not long guns?

Hunting with hand guns? Not likely. Hunters don't use hand guns for hunting waterfowl and big game. Only a really ignorant, stupid, inexperienced wannabee hunter with a death wish would intend to use hand guns for hunting animals. REAL hunters who take hand guns with them when they go hunting only carry them for emergency back-up, like for immediate self protection at close range in the event of a sudden close up attack from something.

Hand guns might get used for target practice but that's not the reason why hand guns were ever invented. There is only one reason that hand guns ever were and still are manufactured and that is strictly for the purpose of humans killing other humans at relatively close range. Target practice with hand guns is just something that became a hobby for hand gun owners who are not peace enforcers (who actually are required to target practice) or else gun-nuts with fantasies of being vigilante angels of death who don't think of it as a hobby.

Bad guys may not turn in their hand guns but they won't be happy campers if they can't use them as often as they'd like if they can't so easily obtain ammunition or the means to make their own ammunition for their hand guns.

You're right, no one, absolutely no one, hunts with a handgun:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/articles...ed-get-started

Old 07-27-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You're right, no one, absolutely no one, hunts with a handgun:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/articles...ed-get-started
For starters, hand gun hunting in Canada is not allowed, so your point is a moot point, and that magazine or website or whatever it is, is not Canadian nor is it written for Canadian hunters. It's created by Americans for Americans.

I never said absolutely no one hunts with handguns. I said that those who do are ignorant, stupid, inexperienced wannabees with a death wish. I could say a great deal more to express my disgust with them. They are dangerous people with no respect for living things and no self-respect. And they are lazy and weak cowards. The article you posted just demonstrated the ugly fanaticism and violent blood lust of people like that. Go peddle it somewhere else, not in Canada.

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-27-2018 at 03:02 PM..

Old 07-28-2018, 03:34 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
John Tory's Actions After Toronto Shooting Were What No U.S. Leader Has Ever Done

I am happy about this, but this still does not really address the problems as are the guns used not usually illegally obtained?
Yes.

This will do absolutely nothing. It does bring to light the ignorance of the politicians who pushed for this.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:53 AM

It will cause some small inconveniences with regard to ammunition as they'll have to pay more money than they do now for smuggled ammunition. That's about all, but it's a start.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:11 PM

Canada Is Raging Against Gun Violence

Old 08-02-2018, 10:02 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Yes.

This will do absolutely nothing. It does bring to light the ignorance of the politicians who pushed for this.
Yep. The Danforth shooting was done with a gun illegally obtained in the US so...

Old 08-06-2018, 06:41 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It will cause some small inconveniences with regard to ammunition as they'll have to pay more money than they do now for smuggled ammunition. That's about all, but it's a start.

What's the law regarding buying ammunition in this country? Unless I'm mistaken all one needs is government ID.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:20 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I hope they ban guns and if they catch any of these wanna be gangsters pieces of **** with guns I hope they get harsh prison sentences or deported immediately if they are not citizens.

I hope with all my heart we never see another terrorist attack like we saw at Danforth, but I doubt banning guns will have an impact on preventing terrorism. We need to put a stronger emphasis on assimilation and secularism in our big cities.
Second paragraph seems to be on the right track, IMO.

I'm not Canadian, so don't have a dog in the race. The statement made in the article was, "Why does anyone in this city need to have a gun at all?" Mayor John Tory asked at a city council meeting on Monday."

(chuckle) If that question was seriously asked, and not challenged, I say: have at it, lad. Different culture, different history. Despite our similarities (US, Canada). Hey, hope it reduces (something) in a country with fewer guns than the US.

Try that in the US, it'll fly like a lead zeppelin. Thank God...but I've grown up around them and understand both sides of any argument on the matter exceedingly well. Let's leave it thus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto