Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2018, 09:15 PM

4 posts, read 16,699 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm a single mom if a soon to be 9 year old and I have been contemplating moving to Canada. I currently reside in Texas, but I have gotten to a point where I feel like I need to leave. So why not take a leap and move to another country? I'm hoping to do this by spring 2019 if everything is in order.

But, I'm really hear to find out what is life like there for single moms and if anyone is able to give me information about cost of living and working as a nurse aide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 07:44 AM

287 posts, read 306,579 times
Sorry but there is no way you can just pack up and “move” to Canada , you need to either find an employer to sponsor work permit for you or apply for permanent resident, neither can be done by next spring even if you start now

Old 09-22-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moveagain View Post
Sorry but there is no way you can just pack up and “move” to Canada , you need to either find an employer to sponsor work permit for you or apply for permanent resident, neither can be done by next spring even if you start now
I am fully aware of what I need to do and what steps that I should take. That wasn't my question. But thank you for telling me things that I already know.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:15 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyj903 View Post
Hello, I'm a single mom if a soon to be 9 year old and I have been contemplating moving to Canada. I currently reside in Texas, but I have gotten to a point where I feel like I need to leave. So why not take a leap and move to another country? I'm hoping to do this by spring 2019 if everything is in order.

But, I'm really hear to find out what is life like there for single moms and if anyone is able to give me information about cost of living and working as a nurse aide.

You haven't provided enough information about yourself that would make it easier for responders to help you. You need to be more forthcoming about your specific circumstances and expectations and about the specific kind of information you're looking for. That way nobody has to play at guessing games and snappy rejoinders.

The costs of living is different everywhere right across Canada, so it really is important to know what part of Canada you're talking about. I'm assuming since you posted in the Toronto sub-forum rather than the main Canada forum that you're planning to move to Toronto specifically??? Do you have a sponsoring employer and job lined up already, and if so what district of Toronto would that be in? Knowing what district you'd be working and residing in would make it easier for people familiar with Toronto to advise you about what costs of living could be like in that district.

Unfortunately your question is a bit too generalized with regard to what life is like in Canada for single moms, because generally speaking it will be basically the same as it is for single parents living and working in most cities anywhere in North America. If you have no friends and family already living in your new location in Toronto then obviously you will need to put extra effort into building up a social circle and informal community support system for yourself and your child. But most cities do have organized support groups and meet-up groups for single parents and their children to help them gain access to available local resources and to make friends.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
You haven't provided enough information about yourself that would make it easier for responders to help you. You need to be more forthcoming about your specific circumstances and expectations and about the specific kind of information you're looking for. That way nobody has to play at guessing games and snappy rejoinders.

The costs of living is different everywhere right across Canada, so it really is important to know what part of Canada you're talking about. I'm assuming since you posted in the Toronto sub-forum rather than the main Canada forum that you're planning to move to Toronto specifically??? Do you have a sponsoring employer and job lined up already, and if so what district of Toronto would that be in? Knowing what district you'd be working and residing in would make it easier for people familiar with Toronto to advise you about what costs of living could be like in that district.

Unfortunately your question is a bit too generalized with regard to what life is like in Canada for single moms, because generally speaking it will be basically the same as it is for single parents living and working in most cities anywhere in North America. If you have no friends and family already living in your new location in Toronto then obviously you will need to put extra effort into building up a social circle and informal community support system for yourself and your child. But most cities do have organized support groups and meet-up groups for single parents and their children to help them gain access to available local resources and to make friends.

I am working with a law firm that's going to assist with help if possible getting a work sponsor. I actually posted this on multiple forums. I really haven't made a for sure choice on an area yet. I've read a few things here and there on different places, but I feel the best information comes straight from the horse's mouth. I have no problem with giving more information if asked. I just want feedback from those who stay and work in the areas.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:56 PM

669 posts, read 320,996 times
I'll say, this city and area is not built for single income households. Living expenses are quite high, and I'm not sure what benefits you would start receiving right away. However, healthcare is provided so that's a huge money saver and a non-issue to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto