Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 07:51 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am thinking about relocating from the US to Toronto Ca. I wanted to know if any other US citizens have made this transition and if so how was it? I am trying to find a job there which would then allow me to relocate. I am a IT executive with over 20 yrs of experience, which I hope will give me a edge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 05:12 PM

13 posts, read 14,079 times
Hi, I'm originally from Niagara Falls New York, married my Canadian wife and have lived here since 2003, awsome county, just like America just different accents and ideology, other than that, im currently in the greater Toronto area & it's great always things to do in the summer, like 5 professional sports teams, nightlife, very expensive depending on where u come from.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:13 PM

13 posts, read 14,079 times
I'm also trying to bring my family to America, maybe Florida or Texas.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:12 AM

17,116 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Hello,

I am thinking about relocating from the US to Toronto Ca. I wanted to know if any other US citizens have made this transition and if so how was it? I am trying to find a job there which would then allow me to relocate. I am a IT executive with over 20 yrs of experience, which I hope will give me a edge.
I did it years ago.
Easiest way was to go through marriage.
If you go through work, you'll likely only get extended stay visas with work authorization. My sister did that, as did a friend of mine. Doesn't seem like a fun way to live to be honest.

If I may ask, though, why?
Were it not for the fact that I have kids here, I'd be back in Canada in a heartbeat.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:44 PM

669 posts, read 320,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Were it not for the fact that I have kids here, I'd be back in Canada in a heartbeat.
Are you Canadian? Or grew up here? just curious why you'd be back? If so, which part/city?

Old 09-27-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blistex649 View Post
Are you Canadian? Or grew up here? just curious why you'd be back? If so, which part/city?
I'm a Canadian citizen. US Permanent Resident. Born and raised in Montreal. Moved here in my late teens.

Why I'd move back? Well, quite frankly, I don't think there is really anything the US does in terms of Quality of Life better than Canada. Crime rates, education, world conflicts, etc. I find the two to be very comparable in terms of general lifestyles, in that there wasn't much adjustment needed on my part when I moved here, but as I grew up, I came to see that certain things that matter to me are just much more of a priority in Canada versus in the US.

Which part/city? Not sure... Montreal area would be an easy one, as I still have relatives there, and I am familiar with the area. Either there or somewhere like Windsor/Southern Ontario. I'm not too big on Toronto.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:01 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
I'm a Canadian citizen. US Permanent Resident. Born and raised in Montreal. Moved here in my late teens.

Why I'd move back? Well, quite frankly, I don't think there is really anything the US does in terms of Quality of Life better than Canada. Crime rates, education, world conflicts, etc. I find the two to be very comparable in terms of general lifestyles, in that there wasn't much adjustment needed on my part when I moved here, but as I grew up, I came to see that certain things that matter to me are just much more of a priority in Canada versus in the US.

Which part/city? Not sure... Montreal area would be an easy one, as I still have relatives there, and I am familiar with the area. Either there or somewhere like Windsor/Southern Ontario. I'm not too big on Toronto.
Move out to the west coast. Would you be retiring in Canada? The Gulf Islands, or even around Parksville on Vancouver Island is great for retirees. Better winters than southern Ontario.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:59 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
I did it years ago.
Easiest way was to go through marriage.
If you go through work, you'll likely only get extended stay visas with work authorization. My sister did that, as did a friend of mine. Doesn't seem like a fun way to live to be honest.

If I may ask, though, why?
I really like the lifestyle and culture I see in Canada. I feel as if it may provide a better way of living for me and my family.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I really like the lifestyle and culture I see in Canada. I feel as if it may provide a better way of living for me and my family.
Sorry, my response was actually to the poster below you, who is looking to do the exact opposite of what you're doing.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,105 times
As a born Torontonian, Welcome to our country and city!

As an IT executive, perhaps you have heard about our booming tech sector. Lately not a week goes by without some big news of an American, Canadian or multinational tech corporation planning to open or expand its offices, research labs or Canadian headquarters here in Toronto and the surrounding region (including Kitchener-Waterloo home of Blackberry). Just in the last few weeks, Microsoft, Uber, Intel, Shopify, Pinterest and Instacart had announcements of hundred-million dollar expansion plans in the region. It is a really exciting time here in Toronto. For Canadian-specific tech news, check out: TechVibes, Betakit and Canada AI (for Canadian AI news).

Back to your question:
As a Canadian, I won't know the specifics, but I work in tech and work with a lot of American expats. I would suggest you come up to Toronto and visit first. With a valid US passport, you can visit Canada for up to 6 months. You probably will want to have a job offer in hand, before applying for a work permit (sponsored by the employer) or permanent residency via Express Entry. We have a program tailored for high-skilled workers just like you, the Express Entry program.

Thrilled you want to join us!
Best of Luck!

Last edited by pseudonymous; 10-03-2018 at 09:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto