Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2019, 10:49 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times

Advertisements

I remember hearing a lot about them about 20 years ago in the late 90s and early 2000s. They really had a bad rep. They were pretty bold setting cop cars on fire and were involved in shootings. I know a lot of other groups wouldn't admit it but a lot of people wouldn't mess with them.

Even in Montreal they had a bit of a rep of people not to be messed with. I know of one incident a group of Sri Lankans that used to hang out by Plamondon Metro beat the living dog **** out of a Hispanic guy. The guy went back home and gathered up some guys to go back and get some revenge. The Hispanic guys went back with machetes but the Sri lankans guys had guns and opened fire on them, lmao. I know one of the guys that got shot, no one died.

I have heard many stories like this from people in Toronto. Are they still around like before or has that whole Sri lankan gang scene died out now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 10:50 AM

I should also mention that these gangs were Tamils, not Sinhalese Sri Lankans. Sinhalese are Buddhist and are some of the nicest, well behaved people I have ever met.

Old 11-11-2019, 04:13 PM

5,891 posts, read 6,091,347 times
Well out of the 26 people who have been arrested for homicides committed this year, two had Tamil names.

Saranraj Sivakumar, shot two men in a parking lot, one severely injured, the other killed. The murder victim also had a Tamil name but there's no mention in the news of what motivated the murder or whether either young man was involved in gang.
Sasikaran Thanapalasingam - hacked his estranged wife to death with a machete, certainly very violent though it does not seem gang related

Old 11-18-2019, 04:46 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,857,213 times
No, Toronto does not have the problems with Sri Lankan Tamil gangs it used to. The Tigers and VVT disappeared around the time that Sri Lanka defeated the Tamil Tigers on the island. I haven't heard about these gangs or crimes committed by them in years.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
No, Toronto does not have the problems with Sri Lankan Tamil gangs it used to. The Tigers and VVT disappeared around the time that Sri Lanka defeated the Tamil Tigers on the island. I haven't heard about these gangs or crimes committed by them in years.
I remember hearing that these gangs were basically used by these terrorist groups to raise funds for their activities and intimidate people. Glad they are not around anymore.

I should have been more specific in the title of the thread. Sri Lankans are cool people. I know many Sinhalese and Tamils that are cool as hell. I occasionally go to a buddhist temple here where I live run by Sinahalese Sri Lankans. You can go meditate and they will feed you, really good food!! If I were ever to go to South Asian it would be Sri Lanka.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto