Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,386 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

Need some inputs from people staying in GTA. I will be moving to Toronto from US . This would be my first time relocating to Canada after living last few years in US.

My office location would be in Scarborough and I need to find out some place to live near by.
I am a single dad of 5 year old kid so my preference for any area would be like-

1) The area should be closer to Scarborough so that I don't spend much time in driving or commuting. In that way I am closer to my kid's school as well , in case I need to be there anytime on short notice.
2) The area should have a good school district.
3) I love playing sports so I would prefer to stay at some place which is closer to some Indoor sports clubs offering competitive pickup volleyball and badminton. If you know any places for such sports, please do share the names as well.
4) I am looking to stay in some area which has nearby places for hang out and close to super markets and public transportation.
5) I did some google research and North York seems one of the option so far but I am not sure about it so thought of taking your inputs.

Please do suggest if you can provide some insights, thanks for reading this post. Stay blessed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 08:56 AM

669 posts, read 321,088 times
I live in Scarborough.

Some questions:
-What is the intersection of your work place? Are you driving or taking the TTC?
-Are you buying or renting? What is your budget?

North York has alot of amenities and is the most desired 'surburb' within Toronto proper. It is also higher income people depending on the area, and thus people prefer there if they can than to live in Scarborough which is more minorities/more recent immigrants.

School, you can check this site as people make their housing decisions by this. The higher ranked school.. the much higher cost the housing. Generally, any school with a rating of 6 or higher in Toronto is good.

Compare academic rankings and ratings of Ontario schools

Old 08-27-2019, 08:25 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blistex649 View Post
I live in Scarborough.

Some questions:
-What is the intersection of your work place? Are you driving or taking the TTC?
-Are you buying or renting? What is your budget?

North York has alot of amenities and is the most desired 'surburb' within Toronto proper. It is also higher income people depending on the area, and thus people prefer there if they can than to live in Scarborough which is more minorities/more recent immigrants.

School, you can check this site as people make their housing decisions by this. The higher ranked school.. the much higher cost the housing. Generally, any school with a rating of 6 or higher in Toronto is good.

Compare academic rankings and ratings of Ontario schools
You have a 'thing' with minorities and recent immigrants it would appear.

North York isn't exactly lily white. Check demographics of North York
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_York

Scarborough has a whopping 7 percent more vis mins than North York. Whoop de do.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarborough,_Toronto

Old 08-28-2019, 09:59 AM

669 posts, read 321,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

Scarborough has a whopping 7 percent more vis mins than North York. Whoop de do.
I'll add darker skinned miniorities/immigrants (think of Middle East/South Asian, African Canadians) is more predominantly Scarborough. I've seen many people (especially new comers) avoid Scarborough for that reason. You and they should be aware of it. Port Union (or areas south of Kingston Rd) is generally the most acceptable places as well, but affordability/public transit access is much lower. This is why I asked those questions regarding budget, drive, etc.

The darker coloured visible minorities in North York are concentrated in certain areas (i.e. Jane and Finch type area, Don Mills and Finch). I've grown up here and have seen the mentality of many who have moved here over the past 10+ years as skillfully employed immigrants purposefully avoid Scarborough for that reason despite much more affordability and ease of transit access.

Some of the most affordable housing with great amenities in the city is along Ellesmere to Eglinton Ave east of Kennedy to Morningside. Yet if outsiders were to find themselves there, they would see it unfavorably.

Regarding your links, you are incorrectly referencing 2016 North York data to 2006 Scarborough data. More comparable data shown below will highlight how disparate it has become. Especially the bottom part regarding the growth of visible minorities in Scarborough far outpacing others, and the absolute spread % as well.

Clearly there is a conscious effort by certain demographic of recent immigrants avoiding certain areas while attracting others, leading to very significant widening spread of visible minorities in Scarborough (driven by South Asians as well as Middle Eastern). Therefore I see no problem in bringing up this trend given OP's question regarding working in Scarborough and trying to decide on a place to live (as I expected, even working in Scarborough, many do not consider living there). I mean being a single dad of a 5 year, shouldn't distance matter too given traffic?

I have a 5 year old too and unknowingly moving to Bayview and Sheppard because of the great amenities, while my office is in Scarborough Center, might add 30 mins to my commute on a good day (45 min typical) as traffic going Westbound in Rush hour has gotten much worse overall. This might impact ability to pick up child on time, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Toronto

Old 08-28-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blistex649 View Post
I'll add darker skinned miniorities/immigrants (think of Middle East/South Asian, African Canadians) is more predominantly Scarborough. I've seen many people (especially new comers) avoid Scarborough for that reason. You and they should be aware of it. Port Union (or areas south of Kingston Rd) is generally the most acceptable places as well, but affordability/public transit access is much lower. This is why I asked those questions regarding budget, drive, etc.

The darker coloured visible minorities in North York are concentrated in certain areas (i.e. Jane and Finch type area, Don Mills and Finch). I've grown up here and have seen the mentality of many who have moved here over the past 10+ years as skillfully employed immigrants purposefully avoid Scarborough for that reason despite much more affordability and ease of transit access.

Some of the most affordable housing with great amenities in the city is along Ellesmere to Eglinton Ave east of Kennedy to Morningside. Yet if outsiders were to find themselves there, they would see it unfavorably.

Regarding your links, you are incorrectly referencing 2016 North York data to 2006 Scarborough data. More comparable data shown below will highlight how disparate it has become. Especially the bottom part regarding the growth of visible minorities in Scarborough far outpacing others, and the absolute spread % as well.

Clearly there is a conscious effort by certain demographic of recent immigrants avoiding certain areas while attracting others, leading to very significant widening spread of visible minorities in Scarborough (driven by South Asians as well as Middle Eastern). Therefore I see no problem in bringing up this trend given OP's question regarding working in Scarborough and trying to decide on a place to live (as I expected, even working in Scarborough, many do not consider living there). I mean being a single dad of a 5 year, shouldn't distance matter too given traffic?

I have a 5 year old too and unknowingly moving to Bayview and Sheppard because of the great amenities, while my office is in Scarborough Center, might add 30 mins to my commute on a good day (45 min typical) as traffic going Westbound in Rush hour has gotten much worse overall. This might impact ability to pick up child on time, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Toronto
Fair enough regarding the data. I just did a quick Wikipedia search. North York is still majority Vis min vs White as shown in both our data sets. That all said, it is clear you are identifying areas to avoid as being those whose inhabitants are lighter skinned than dark. I personally would look at crime rates in a given area instead of focusing on whether there are more South Indians and or Black skinned Canadians in an area - but I guess that is just me.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:48 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

Dude. Drop it. I'm a minority and immigrant myself and even I think you are taking this too far.

The previous poster simply pointed out that Scarborough has more minorities and recent immigrants - a perfectly normal fact. If I were moving to an area, I'd also be interested to know who my neighbors are and where they are from, not because I'm being casually racist, but because it's human nature and I'm curious to see whether they'd be a good fit for me and my family socially.

This is why people are sometimes annoyed with left wing identity politics - you take it so far that it's removed from reality and purely based on your personal ideology of what should or shouldn't be said in public forum. That's crazy because the world doesn't revolve around you and I'm sure I speak for the vast majority of Canadians.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:49 PM

9 posts, read 7,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Dude. Drop it. I'm a minority and immigrant myself and even I think you are taking this too far.

The previous poster simply pointed out that Scarborough has more minorities and recent immigrants - a perfectly normal fact. If I were moving to an area, I'd also be interested to know who my neighbors are and where they are from, not because I'm being casually racist, but because it's human nature and I'm curious to see whether they'd be a good fit for me and my family socially.

This is why people are sometimes annoyed with left wing identity politics - you take it so far that it's removed from reality and purely based on your personal ideology of what should or shouldn't be said in public forum. That's crazy because the world doesn't revolve around you and I'm sure I speak for the vast majority of Canadians.
Well the other Poster is assuming that the first poster wants to live in an area where the majority are not dark. There are many darkskin people around the world who aren't western african, south asian and middle eastern with different cultures and the same applies to people who are lightskin.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:57 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
only Miami beats Toronto in the percentage of foreign-born residents for larger cities.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly423 View Post
Well the other Poster is assuming that the first poster wants to live in an area where the majority are not dark. There are many darkskin people around the world who aren't western african, south asian and middle eastern with different cultures and the same applies to people who are lightskin.
Thanks Holly - this isn't the first time the poster has done exactly what you said. Here is another post from him in another thread

//www.city-data.com/forum/55943039-post7.html

Quote:
This is assuming you don't want to be around as many minorities
also this one in this thread

Quote:
Saying to the OP - who by his name, is quite possibly a visible minority saying - well assuming you don't want to live around visible minorities. It has been a pattern in not just one thread, but multiple where certain areas are simply portrayed by this poster as beingless desirable because of being more minority or dark skinned minority oriented. I thought that was highly presumptuous - as if there were some sort of disadvantage to minority communities, particularly 'dark skinned'. He certainly didn't come across as just providing 'objective' demographic information - which is why I pressed him a bit, and i think it was totally fair for me to do that given his post history. Anyway, glad you chimed in

Last edited by fusion2; 09-03-2019 at 06:47 PM..

Old 09-03-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post

read my comment to Holly 'Dude' and i'd appreciate if you didn't associate my views as 'left wing' identity politics, just because you happen to disagree or don't want to discuss issues in a civil manner. You aren't the arbiter of this discussion forum, and based on his posts in entirety, I think the fact I highlighted what I did, when I did was appropriate. I have no problem being an honest person in this forum. Authenticity and individuality in my posts, are not a problem for me. i don't need to 'hide' behind identify politics

As for the dig about the world not 'revolving' around me. After visiting dozens of countries and developing a love and respect for citizens of the world of all ethnicities, races, cultures - i'm keenly aware that the world doesn't revolve around me, that's is why I travel - so that different doesn't scare me. That being said, making assumptions and being presumptuous, seems to be a common theme around here, so i'll take it for what it was worth.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-03-2019 at 07:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto