Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 03:21 PM

9 posts, read 7,181 times

Advertisements

Hi, Im on welfare because of issues that I have that im working on and God is helping me with. Im better so I'm been searching for work like crazy in montreal. I send resumes on sites like indeed every week!. Some jobs didn't take me because im brown and some don't take me because i don't know french. im born in montreal but i go for jobs that no one wants like factory jobs and i still have problems. I don't want to live in the horrible place which is with my mom...and im trying to get out. I even gotten thoughts of suicide because i couldnt escape by getting an apartment and a job. i also gotten suicide thoughts because i hate being on welfare!. i was forced to be on welfare. are there factory/warehouse jobs that are so desperate in toronto that they would take anyone like newcomers? do you know a very cheap motel in toronto that is less than 500 a month? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 06:55 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,750,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly423 View Post
Hi, Im on welfare because of issues that I have that im working on and God is helping me with. Im better so I'm been searching for work like crazy in montreal. I send resumes on sites like indeed every week!. Some jobs didn't take me because im brown and some don't take me because i don't know french. im born in montreal but i go for jobs that no one wants like factory jobs and i still have problems. I don't want to live in the horrible place which is with my mom...and im trying to get out. I even gotten thoughts of suicide because i couldnt escape by getting an apartment and a job. i also gotten suicide thoughts because i hate being on welfare!. i was forced to be on welfare. are there factory/warehouse jobs that are so desperate in toronto that they would take anyone like newcomers? do you know a very cheap motel in toronto that is less than 500 a month? thanks
First of all, i'm sorry about your situation. I hope things improve. As hard and tough as life can be at times, and even at the lowest point in it, you always have to keep the faith that things will get better - because they always do

Toronto is not a cheap place. I think it would be difficult to find any accomodations less than 500 dollars per month. I suggest you check kijiji and look for a roommate and rent a room! Network and get to know people if you can. Talk, there is almost always someone who knows someone who can help you! One thing Toronto would not have a shortage of, is factory and general labour type work. Toronto/GTA is Canada's manufacturing hub so that wouldn't be problematic. I suggest starting a search at a temp agency. They are usually crying for people and it is normally full time work and if you work hard, that can easily translate into full time permanent employment.

Good Luck Holly!

Old 09-04-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
First of all, i'm sorry about your situation. I hope things improve. As hard and tough as life can be at times, and even at the lowest point in it, you always have to keep the faith that things will get better - because they always do

Toronto is not a cheap place. I think it would be difficult to find any accomodations less than 500 dollars per month. I suggest you check kijiji and look for a roommate and rent a room! Network and get to know people if you can. Talk, there is almost always someone who knows someone who can help you! One thing Toronto would not have a shortage of, is factory and general labour type work. Toronto/GTA is Canada's manufacturing hub so that wouldn't be problematic. I suggest starting a search at a temp agency. They are usually crying for people and it is normally full time work and if you work hard, that can easily translate into full time permanent employment.

Good Luck Holly!
Thanks for your help and encouragement!.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:45 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,325,634 times
Quote:
I highly recommend you seek help. Talk to some one like a counsellour. You don't want to live in a motel, stay put in mtl.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:32 AM

669 posts, read 317,428 times
You will be in for a shock moving to Toronto. This includes outer Toronto where room rent in a shared basement can easily run you close to or over $500. There are many shortages of workers in minimum wage jobs such as Tim Hortons. Still hard to get full-time hours though. Factories? Not sure what's around anymore since many have closed due to the skyrocketing land prices. There are those factories where undocumented or new immigrants are often exploited.

There are motels along Kingston road in Scarborough, but they are definitely more pricey than even $500 a month. If you can transfer your welfare and have it paid to the motel, it will be cheaper. But many of those people also have mental health issues too, while there is a general push by the city to remove the motels.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blistex649 View Post
You will be in for a shock moving to Toronto. This includes outer Toronto where room rent in a shared basement can easily run you close to or over $500. There are many shortages of workers in minimum wage jobs such as Tim Hortons. Still hard to get full-time hours though. Factories? Not sure what's around anymore since many have closed due to the skyrocketing land prices. There are those factories where undocumented or new immigrants are often exploited.

There are motels along Kingston road in Scarborough, but they are definitely more pricey than even $500 a month. If you can transfer your welfare and have it paid to the motel, it will be cheaper. But many of those people also have mental health issues too, while there is a general push by the city to remove the motels.
I did say in my post to the OP that she should look to a roommate and network. It would be hard to find something but not impossible in her budget if she took that approach.

General labour jobs are in high demand in the GTA. Half of Canada's manufacturing is in our region. Check out any temp agency and you'll see that there are a plethora of openings. It isn't hard to get full time either. A lot of people don't like manufacturing work but if you want to work in it, shouldn't be difficult to gain employment.

https://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=General...=Toronto%2C+ON

Old 09-05-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your help and encouragement!.
No problem! - sometimes people can be cold to others and not treat people as human beings with feelings. Not everyone is like that Holly

I do agree with the sentiment of avoiding a hotel. Heal first and then look at job and potential relocation. Do you know anyone in Toronto - ie family/friends?

Last edited by fusion2; 09-05-2019 at 06:20 AM..

Old 09-05-2019, 09:00 AM

669 posts, read 317,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I did say in my post to the OP that she should look to a roommate and network. It would be hard to find something but not impossible in her budget if she took that approach.

General labour jobs are in high demand in the GTA. Half of Canada's manufacturing is in our region. Check out any temp agency and you'll see that there are a plethora of openings. It isn't hard to get full time either. A lot of people don't like manufacturing work but if you want to work in it, shouldn't be difficult to gain employment.

https://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=General...=Toronto%2C+ON
I mentioned shared basement (which assumes roommate) because even many places non-basement, even if shared, rent will likely be more than $500. She also mentioned factory/warehouse work. General labour can include anything, which includes outdoor work, specialized type skills, physical strength, working at heights, etc. which many of those jobs listed show.

The days of sustainable assembly line factory/warehouse work are far less than they used to be. Not saying they don't exist, but compared to before, its far more challenging. Than trying to tie it in with reasonable rental rate location, makes it far more challenging than before.

2017 had a strong addition for manufacturing in Toronto, but it's still the only key industry down over 10 years. In a growing city, especially with more immigrants, that makes it far more competitive to get a decent placement. So as a newcomer, the old perception of "find a cheap place to rent, get a factory/warehouse job, and live a stable life" is not what it used to be.

https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/up...%20by%205.1%25.

This trend of major factories closing have been well documented. These smaller companies can easily go 'belly-up' once there is a hiccup in the economy.

Meanwhile In Ontario:

"Between 2005 and 2015, Ontario’s manufacturing output fell by 18 per cent and manufacturing employment fell by 28 per cent.

More specifically, from 2008 to 2015, Ontario’s manufacturing job levels fell from 805,170 to 688,735"
https://business.financialpost.com/o...to%20688%2C735.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:02 PM

^^^
I'm not saying what they used to be vs now or even long term manufacturing trends. Ofc manufacturers are becoming more advanced and skilled workers would be more in demand with less overall need for lower skilled general labourers vs a decade ago. Technology, automation etc have done a number on those line work jobs - what I am saying however, is that for someone on social assistance and looking for a job - there are still a lot of jobs out there for general labourers and you'd make more coin than on social assistance. I wouldn't recommend anyone do this as a long term career goal. For someone interested in that line of work - it would be better to pick up a skilled trade for long term career potential.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I highly recommend you seek help. Talk to some one like a counsellour. You don't want to live in a motel, stay put in mtl.
Thanks for feedback. I live in my mom's house that's about 30 min away from montreal. I lived in montreal almost my whole life. My mom is one of the main cause of my issues which is why im starting a new life without my so called family....I got job today in montreal. it's a warehouse (i cant say what kind because people will find out who i am lol. i have to work on assembly line). I have to live in montreal to work because buses don't run very early in my area so im currently looking at places at airbnb. an entire apartment that i booked got taken by someone.i might have to check out motels even though i might be sleeping with bed bugs :0. i really can't sleep in a hostel and share bathrooms. i have some ocd issues that i need to pray about. I start on monday so i hope it will be alright. My main goal was to save up from work then move to toronto gta or ottawa (and after toronto). Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto