Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 06:48 AM

12 posts, read 20,464 times

Advertisements

I hear some remarks about Etobicoke and Mississauga ... not exactly to the complimentary, but I haven't heard anything about north of Toronto, Vaughan, Markham, & Richmond Hill in particular. Can anyone enlighten me.

I have money and I don't need to work, so I'm not looking at it from an employment POV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 07:16 AM

669 posts, read 320,652 times
Yup. Great.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:43 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
The northern suburbs of Toronto are the nicest in terms of "socio-economics".

Old 09-04-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The northern suburbs of Toronto are the nicest in terms of "socio-economics".

Coming from the UK, each house I see in the GTA is like Buckingham Palace I'm just trying to get a feel for the area ... which I feel is something you may not be able to do as a tourist on a two week visit.

I see some expensive/nice property in Yorkville, and Forest Hill has a reputation for being up market so i've heard, but I've no real need to be in Central Toronto. And as with most property it seems the further you go out, you get more bang for you buck

Old 09-04-2019, 04:19 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Those three communities comprise the southern part of the suburban York Region. Houses tend to be pricey though perhaps not as pricey as the priciest of Toronto's neighborhoods and this is all really subjective based on one's personal income. Neighborhoods in the three are often designed in the English court or estate style with numerous side streets tucked away from main avenues thus allowing for personal suburban comfort. Omnibus routes do serve many of those neighborhoods though. You'll probably find a lot of the architecture is very British as many houses are built of brick and/or clustered together. However the land surveying is North American. Markham and Richmond Hill in particular have large Chinese and other East Asian communities. IMO Markham has pretty much supplanted Dundas and Spadina as GTA's new Chinatown. Autocentric strip malls dominate the main avenues; Markham does have a new and growing Town Centre though and is likely going to become a bustling edge city in its own right like Mississauga.

Old 09-05-2019, 03:10 AM

To the west, I've haven't looked further than Oakville. I just don't hear many complimentary things about Mississauga. I haven't looked north. As a British born, West Indian, Indian, Chinese ... mix, the Asian thing isn't an issue. And who doesn't like a Chinese takeaway? Anyway, we all have the same Queen

You're right, in certain area's it looks very British from the outside, but inside .... IMO few British homes aren't done as well as Canada does it. I guess living in the UK ... the grass is always greener, right?

I have looked at Calgary and Vancouver. Calgary ..... looks interesting if not isolated. Vancouver ... not my cup of tea.

I've also considered hotter countries like Dubia or Portugal, but I'm no a 'Sun' persons, and I like the change in seasons. With that being said, I've not done Toronto in the winter ... I mean a whole winter. But again, I've no need to work, so its not as though I need to get up at 6.00am to clear the snow off the car.

Bugs - I've heard there are a lot of bugs in the spring. can anyone comment?

Old 09-05-2019, 06:01 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utubecomment21 View Post
I hear some remarks about Etobicoke and Mississauga ... not exactly to the complimentary, but I haven't heard anything about north of Toronto, Vaughan, Markham, & Richmond Hill in particular. Can anyone enlighten me.

I have money and I don't need to work, so I'm not looking at it from an employment POV.
I live in Etobicoke and it isn't bad. It actually 'feels' more connected to the urban core of the city than the northern burbs if you will. It also has subway connectivity - only Vaughan has that of the 3 cities you mention. Anyway, there are certainly some really nice pockets of Etobicoke with nice houses, park areas etc. The southern part of it is generally more upscale than the north. Oakville is also a very affluent burb, though more suburban in feel than Vaughan, Markham and Richmond hill. That said, if you have money and depending on how much, The most posh and upscale parts of Toronto are within the city itself in Rosedale, Forest Hill and the Bridle Path. These areas are also much more accessible to the core of the city as well. This is ofc if you want to live in the most 'exclusive' parts of the city.

The best option is to just come to the city/metro and check out all the places you're interested in and get your own feel for them.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I live in Etobicoke and it isn't bad. It actually 'feels' more connected to the urban core of the city than the northern burbs if you will. It also has subway connectivity - only Vaughan has that of the 3 cities you mention. Anyway, there are certainly some really nice pockets of Etobicoke with nice houses, park areas etc. The southern part of it is generally more upscale than the north. Oakville is also a very affluent burb, though more suburban in feel than Vaughan, Markham and Richmond hill. That said, if you have money and depending on how much, The most posh and upscale parts of Toronto are within the city itself in Rosedale, Forest Hill and the Bridle Path. These areas are also much more accessible to the core of the city as well. This is ofc if you want to live in the most 'exclusive' parts of the city.

The best option is to just come to the city/metro and check out all the places you're interested in and get your own feel for them.

Cheers for taking the time to answer.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:30 PM

Thanks to all who've answered so far.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:37 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utubecomment21 View Post
Cheers for taking the time to answer.
No prob buddy. If you are crazy rich feel free to share I'd love to not have to wake up everyday doin the daily grind. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto