Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 10:26 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times

Advertisements

A true end of an era. The last TTC vehicles not equipped with air-conditioning, the last TTC legacy technology you might say.

https://dailyhive.com/toronto/ttc-cl...ce-december-29

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 10:33 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times
A few pictures I had taken the last time I rode them in 2016
Attached Thumbnails
TTC's CLRV streetcars retiring after 4 decades-37.jpg   TTC's CLRV streetcars retiring after 4 decades-47.jpg   TTC's CLRV streetcars retiring after 4 decades-49.jpg  

Old 12-22-2019, 01:45 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
They served the city well. The new streetcars are looking nice though.

Old 12-22-2019, 09:38 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
I hope they keep a couple in working order. I know the TTC still has a couple of old PCC cars that they maintain and use for special charters, or for movie shoots (you can see one in the 2007 movie "Hairspray," which was set in the 1960s, and filmed in Toronto). I don't know if anybody would make a movie with the CLRVs in the background, but they are a part of Toronto's history.

Old 12-22-2019, 10:06 PM

I think you can see one of them in the movie "short circuit 2".

Old 12-23-2019, 08:27 AM

669 posts, read 321,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
They served the city well. The new streetcars are looking nice though.
Alot of regular users do not like the design at all under crowded conditions. But then again, that has been the trend regarding accessibility, but just the design of all new things it seems (especially the GO train).

Quote:
I think you can see one of them in the movie "short circuit 2".
Less high profile, but 1996's Crash which was filmed in Toronto had some scenes with the Streetcar and Gardiner in the back

Old 12-23-2019, 09:08 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,096 times
One of the big improvements with the five section cars is...the ability to enter or get off through five doors not just one exit door as the old cars were constructed. With the Presto card payment system, the riders do not have to line up at the front entrance . That's a real improvement in reducing passenger congestion at the front doors. I live along the St Clair west route, and the mid street passenger islands are another way that helps passenger flow, compared to the curbside waiting areas found on Queen and King routes.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:40 AM

I saw a video online that showed what the new Eglington west LRT cars will look like. They look almost identical to the street cars. They look nice but I was expecting something a bit bigger for the LRT.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:43 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times
Quote:
I saw a video online that showed what the new Eglington west LRT cars will look like. They look almost identical to the street cars. They look nice but I was expecting something a bit bigger for the LRT.
They are going to be serving the Crosstown in 3 set configurations, due to much higher passenger volume, grade separation, and longer station platforms (same length as regular TTC subway platforms). As an "LRT" system, the Crosstown is going to be pushing limits of how we define the LRT both in terms of frequency and length/capacity of trains.

As for the rolling stock itself, the Crosstown ones are produced by Bombardier but are more standard off-the-shelf Flexity Freedoms with standard gauge, as opposed to the TTC's new streetcars which are more custom designed for TTC's wider gauge (hence the massive delay in delivery due to TTC's laundry list unique custom requirements such as wide gauge, tight curves, accessibility ramps at doors, dual catenaries on every train, etc. etc. ).

Overall, I think it'll be a huge deal for Toronto, especially mid-town residents, when this opens in Sept 2021. Already the construction along Eglinton has been intensifying for the past 5 years with the whole street seemingly under 24/7 condo and office construction. It'll be the equivalent of Line 2 Bloor subway line (albeit with very different technologies). For Toronto, Crosstown will be the city's first "true LRT" system, as opposed to the streetcar system that people are used to.

Last edited by bostonkid123; 12-30-2019 at 08:54 AM..

Old 12-30-2019, 08:59 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times
And personally, as for the CLRVs, although they are nice to look at, they are a pain to ride and I'm glad to see them go, finally. They served their purpose when Toronto was a much smaller city, where as now, they simply can't accommodate a city that is adding hundreds of thousands of new residents every year.

In the not too distant future, I'd like to see every streetcar line in the city become fully grade separated and closed to traffic (similar to King Street). Short of building new subway lines, that's pretty much the only solution to solving mobility issues for millions around the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto